Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
 Blew my LST motor...what can I replace it with >

Blew my LST motor...what can I replace it with

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Blew my LST motor...what can I replace it with

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew my LST motor...what can I replace it with

I want to go bigger, I also have not seen any that are side exhaust and a roto start.....Help.....
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Default RE: Blew my LST motor...what can I replace it with

you blew the motor already???

dont take this the wrong way, but Id seek a track or LHS or somewhere to get some assistance or there is little doubt your next motor will suffer the same fate. you've had quite a few problems with it already that were likely caused by simple inexperience. which we all have to go through, but better to get help than repeat the mistakes.

the LST doesnt take a side exhaust, needs to be rear exhaust I believe. and rotostart is something you need to custom add after the fact; how its done is specific to each particular motor.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 PM

btw are you sure you blew the motor? what makes you say that? no compression on the flywheel?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Hey I just blew my mach 427, I picked up a sure fire .32 for $200 used the hpi roto start ($20) and droped it right in factory pipe worked sweet. I just ran my 7th-10th tanks today and it's one powerful beast. 20% larger then the 427. Highly recomended!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:40 PM

well I heard a pop, when I use the roto start it will not turn at all the motor is froze up, I am pretty familar with the settings and maint. I have a Revo that I bash all the time, and just put a BB Picco 26 in it and it runs fine, I guess I will pull the head now and see.I have a side exhaust on mine and the tank is in the rear so a rear exhaust will not work thanks for the advice bauerbach.
Hey whatagrind do you have any part # on your set up, sounds intresting.....
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Ok just figured that it's a rear exhaust turned sideways,so any inputs on which motor I should go with......and why
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 PM

Im going with the LRP .28 spec 3.

why? because its appears to be the best bang for the buck .28 motor out there. and I race so .30 and .32 is out due to weak top end; as well as fuel consuption as far as needing to pit far too frequently. and lastly, the rules that limit it to .28; though my local track doesnt enforce them; I kinda like conforming to a loose set of rules to keep the challenge(not that Im so awesome I need to handicap myself; far from it. but I like to dream)
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM

a 28 with have more top end, and I am assuming lower end also????Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 PM

bauerbach did you get your hands ona spec 3 yet? i think mine should be here tomorrow
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 AM

So if I went with the LRP .28 spec 3 this would be a direct drop in, same stock exhaust, and I could remove the pull start and use my roto start, or would i have to get different motor mounts.....
Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 AM

well took the roto apart and the rod snapped, guess it was the famous washer theres nothing left, truck # 3934
Old 06-17-2006, 08:03 AM

I thought you had purchased it new recently?

LRP drops in with the same exhaust; but I dont think the rotostart will mount directly. theres some discussion going on over at lstcentral about it; Ive been following it loosely, at this point most seem to be using the pullstart still. the clearances arent right for the rotostart and no ones found a solution. Im sure thats just a matter of time. meanwhile their saying they start 1st or 2nd pull everytime.

mike, no spec3 for me yet; killer said end of the month for their next shipment so thats what Im waiting for.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 AM

I asked if it was new and recent because the washer has been done away with from the factory for quite some time. stuff happens unfortunatly. you could replace the conrod and/or crank if it so interested you.

the .28 will have less low end; though more than the mach 427; in vids it looks like ample to lift the wheels on command. but when you get to gearing it to take advantage of the top end, it will not be a low end monster.

still IMO its a middle of the road. I am not a big fan of wheelies myself; Im tired of flipping the truck back over; Id rather have good power in motion; on the track I only start from a standstill once(not counting the 184 times the marshalls flip me over )
Old 06-17-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 6 port SH 28's actualy make more tourque then the 32 as well as alot more HP and RPM....The guys at LST Central are having issues keeping the drivelines intact with these 28's...the bottom end tourque is actualy amazing....it is a total wheely monster and will require a delicate touch to race.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:00 PM

RP drops in with the same exhaust; but I dont think the rotostart will mount directly.
All you have to do is cut the ribs on the plastic cover from the Mach starter so that you can drill new holes (or extend the original ones) in order for it to bolt up to the backplate. Took me all of about 2 minutes to modify the plastic cover so that it would mount up on the LRP. I only used the hex piece and the plastic starter cover from the Mach .26. Its a piece of cake.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:57 PM

honestly im surprised that the STS .28 wasnt mentioned yet. it is much cheap then all of the engines stated in this thread yet it performs the same if not better than all of them. probably holds a tune better too.