Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just recieved my XXL

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just recieved my XXL

well, the XXL just arrived, not going to break it in untill the weekend. sitting nest to my savage XL, its about the same size. the wheels are a tad bigger in diameter then the savage xl. The truck itself looks high quality, the radio seems a little on the cheap side. The plastic cases are a little off, and the black paint at the base is already sratched up. just reading thru all the mauals. well see how it goes over the weekend. i have an LST2 which i like, i have a sport werks carb. on it. seems like when i get off the throttle the idle takes about 3-4 seconds before it comes down all the way. The xxl is a good size truck, like i said about as big as the savage xl. I run trinity 30% in all my trucks, and it seems to work really well other than one way bearings slipping. ill kepp you guys posted.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Just recieved my XXL

Cant wait for a review vid!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM

will do, ill have the wive do a vid and take some pics as well........
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Take some pics with both the XXL and XL.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM

The radio is the DX3r right? That's a really nice radio!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM

DX3S Yes, it was awesome. It started beeping at me when I hit 230 temp... Bad that it started beeping, but good Also said I hit 25 mph, which isn't fast, but cool that it tells me!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM

update, last night after i charged the battery, i put the truck on the ground. i notcied that when i pushed it by hand, there was a lot of grinding/snapping noises and i felt some resistance. i took apart the rear diff and the mesh was piss poor, like it wasnt shimmed right. a main is sending me a call tag, and there shipping me out a new one. ill keep you posted.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM

sounds like there may be diff issues or are they plastic diff covers
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Only takes 2 sec's to put the Shim on the Other side of the Diff (As 9 outta 10 times thats all that's needed)

How to rebuild and shim a LST2 diff
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Now that you say that... Mine sounded exactly the same! I found some of the noise was coming from the brake... the linkage was set incorrect and I had to fix that too. So, now that I have run it, I'm screwed?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM

no, i dont think that your screwed, see how it runs, as far as me shiming the diffs, ive done it many times. but, for a $670 truck, im not dickin with it. my lst2 is smooth as silk after about 4 gallons run thru it. the only thing i did on the lst2 is fill up the diffs with fluid after i cleaned out all the grease. ( i forget what weight fluid, was 2 years ago ). so they sent me a 3 day select call tag, and there shipping out a new one as soon as they get this one back. im just surprised at how poor the mesh was. losi is know for prety good quaility. ill keep you posted when the new one gets here sometime next week.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 PM

If you Payed $670 you got Ripped, http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSB0016!1002
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM

no, i paid $650, and if i got ripped so be it. its only money
Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Well, I just ordered mine from ultimate!! I almost got it from stormerhobbies.com earlier today for 619 plus 10 for shipping but the guys over on lstforums told me about Ultimate's deal and I was like [:-]. So I got it for 599 with free shipping!

Honestly, to me the truck is worth the 669 so I wouldnt be upset about paying 650 if I were in your shoes.

I cant wait to get it!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 AM

Got mine from the LHS tonight... $669, but I don't have to wait for it, there is no chance of it getting lost/damaged in the mail, and I am supporting a local business, which in this economy is a good thing.... Its great that you guys are getting them online for $600.. but I wonder how long you will be waiting for it... while I am driving mine Ive seen plenty of LHS's fold... I can handle paying 10% more to get it from the LHS....

man... I have never seen a lst/lst/etc in person, and the first thing that jumped out at me was the shocks.... they are HUGE!!! Like, seriously comically huge! I mean I have seen pic's of the truck, but they just dont do them justice.... Im used to t-maxx shocks, and those are puny compared to these!!!! The bottle of shock oil I use to fill 8 maxx shocks with plenty left over would fill at most 2 of these suckers!!! Wow....

Next thing, the tires.. again, huge, compared to my t-maxx tires.... Engine, huge.... seriously dwarfs the trx .15.... gas tank... its huge.... hmmm, starting to nitice a pattern here.... I like the radio, feels nice in my hand, and being able to see my max speed will be cool.....

Another thing... I am amazed at how closely my mini lst 2 resembles this thing... I mean, I know its based on it (well, the lst2), but I didn't expect that it was actually just a smaller version... its uncanny.... I thought there would be way more differences...

I'm going to run it tomorrow... I get off work at noon, then will head to the park.... ARG... of course I can find my glow plug charger but not the ignitor.... Will have to pic up some C's for the included plastic jobber.... As I type this im cycling the receiver battery on my triton JR so I will have max power for tomorrow... 5 charge/discharge cycles should do it..... whew, i almost made the mistake of doing charge to discharge x5... need discharge to charge so it will be ready to run!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.. Yeah, I was amazed at the sheer size of my LST2 too..

I assume you've read about some of the minor things you need to do to prep an LST2 before running...

In case not...,

1.) Threadlock all screws into metal - especially the set-screws in the diff and tranny cups. Also, the wheel nuts, and the tops of the diff cases... Besides threadlocking, tighten all other screws. Really go over it.

2.) Dynamite engine brace before going for big jumps..

3.) Make sure your shocks are set up right before going for big jumps.. One of the absolute best hopups for an LST2 are the RC Raven dual-rate shock springs.. They're on e-bay. They are not only great performance-wise, but IMO they make the shocks last longer.. Lots of jumping on too-soft shocks could be bad..

That's about it. Let'er rip and let us know how it goes.. Vid would be great too..
Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Well, unlike you I dont just have the money to throw around just to hope that I'm stimulating my local economy. Especially when my LHS doesnt carry the truck, and they have to order it. Not to mention, my LHS sure doesnt seem to struggling from the poor economy. Our LHS here is in a very popular shopping center and everytime I go into it I cant even walk out the door from the line at the cash register. So, I commend you for supporting your LHS, but a lot of us have to try to find the best deals. 669+UT tax= around 700bux. Now, I'm a noob to nitro so I'm starting out fresh with everything. I've ordered this so far:

Losi XXL- 599
1 extra OS#8 glow plug- 6.99
Venom 7.2v battery for glow start-29.95
After run oil-2.95
tamiya to JST adapter-2.95

That total is 642.69 so far and all I need is fuel and a fuel bottle.

My point is, if I would've ordered it from my LHS. It would've looked like this:

Losi XXL-669+ TN tax(9.75%[>:])=734.22
1 extra OS#8 Glow plug= 6.99+tax= 7.67
Venom 7.2= 29.95+tax=32.87
After run oil=2.95+tax=3.23
tamiya to jst= 2.95+tax= 3.23

With a grand total of 781.22 without fuel and bottle. With a difference of 138.53

So, clearly it's a way better deal to order online. I have the patience to to save me 138.53. Thats an electric bill for me.

If I was in your shoes with your states sales tax rate I might have considered picking it up too. Especially if the LHS was a small, struggling company.

"Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet."
-Lida Clarkson

So, anyways congrats on the new truck!! It seems to be a great truck and I'm sure you'll love it. After you get it broke in make a vid and post it on youtube!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:20 PM

If my LHS didnt have it in stock, I would have gotten it off the net too. I never order things through my LHS... I tried it a couple times, but they generaly end up getting the wrong thing.... I go to the LHS to get things "right now" and If im going to wait for it, im going to save money on it too... There is a hobby shop I dont go to anymore becuase I asked if they had something and they said "no but we can order it" And I said "no thanks" And he gave me a blank look and said "no thanks?" and just stared at me... It was a pretty uncomfortable moment, it seemed to me with the look and the comment, he was silently cursing me... I dont know if it was intentional, but he lost a customer for life....

If we are going to talk about throwing money around, yea you saved $80 on your truck, then spent $15-20 too much on your battery... Just saying... anyhow, I dont have money to "throw around" I have the money I got from selling a t-maxx, slash, and 3pm fasst radio when I they announced the lst xxl .....
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Yeah, thats how it is with my LHS. They barely stock any Losi stuff but they have traxxas stuff galore. So, if I have to order a losi part, it's coming from the net! I'm curious though, how did I overspend 20 bux on my batt. I looked around and they were more at other places, so I'm confused. Unless your talking about, I could've gotten a different brand for cheaper. But, I dont see being able to get any brand 3600mah 7.2v battery for 10 or 15 bux. Regardless, I saved a boat load of money so I'm good.

A little not for you. One of the guys on lstforums.com said that he recommends checking the clutch, slipper and 2 speed and cleaning the excess oil. He said the excess oil was borderline ridiculous and could potentially cause problems down the road.

Go break that bad boy in and post a vid!!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I got mine last week but couldn't break it in till yesterday. I ran about 6 tanks total but wanna run at least one more before I start tuning. I did get a clip of the break in and will post it as soon as it's loaded. The brake and throttle linkage was outta wack and I had to manually adjust it, either brake or throttle but no neutral. It was also making funny noises but it was because the brakes were almost locked. Almost lost the center cv screw when it became loose as well. I didn't think to add loctite yet since it was just the break in. Truck seems to handle well from what little I ran it. The radio is awesome! it makes the break in so much easier to have the temp. in real time, but mmduc is right about the quality. It's a shame too, why make such a great radio and have it protected by cheap plastic The paint is already coming off. Shocks in the promo where LST2 but you get Aftershcok, LST shocks. They are much lighter though. Engine is a .28 which I think won't make much of a difference from the Mach .27, it's the gearing in the trans that's giving it that extra top speed and tork. I paid $650.00 at my LHS but don't mind because I can get anything taken care of there. As far as the size, I don't think there's much of a difference. Savage XL is about the same. You be the judge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36343.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1151740   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43481.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1151741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87805.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1151742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18155.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1151743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48492.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1151744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98618.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1151745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41781.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1151746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67403.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1151747  

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 AM

I got so confused looking at those pics! You must have changed the springs from the lst2 over to the xxl in the middle of the pics! Looks great! I didn't know the XL was that big, wow.
Are those the RC raven springs? I'm looking at getting a set....
Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 AM

I took the Lst2 pics last night and just now switched the shocks because I' getting ready for tomorrows bashathon-LOL. I just took the Savage XL pics because I was reading in the thread some one wanted to see them side by side. The shocks are Losi 7.4 I believe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25532.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1151803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86073.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1151804  
Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 AM

Where did you get that rear white thing? assuming its so the body does come through. Whats it called?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 AM

Actually it's home made. It's the original wing that came on the LST2 body. Here's where I got the info I needed.

http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11154
Old 03-07-2009, 01:29 AM

Yeah it is tru about the excess oil, it's alrerady getting on the filter just like my LST2 when it was new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.