Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
 The safety fence >

The safety fence

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

The safety fence

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The safety fence

A link for those who think barriers between the flightline and pits are silly......

We have them and complain, others dont and want them....odd.

http://gbrcaa.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1477
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The safety fence

I don't recall any one saying the pit fences were silly, the comments I read was that the pilot fences were at times a hazard in themselves as they were being erected too high and causing a a lost of sight with the model upon landing.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: kenair

I don't recall any one saying the pit fences were silly, the comments I read was that the pilot fences were at times a hazard in themselves as they were being erected too high and causing a a lost of sight with the model upon landing.
Kenair wrote.....

How do we put up the pilot barricades at a float fly or snow fly, soon we will be looking at building MAAC approved bunkers for the pilot stations with only the pilots head and his TX attenna poking out.

Soon will we have minimum TBO on all our equipment.
Atittude not rules will make things safer - IMHO.
Comments like that lead me to beleive that you feel the safety fences are silly....the undertone of your post gives the impression that they are not required/needed/wanted whatever.

Point is they can and do help improve the safety at the field. I have flown at many many clubs in North America and in Europe with barriers/fences and have never once had an issue seeing my model, its simply not a factor.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it's becasue i'm just a short little f...... so the higher fences are an obstacle to me at times or may I'm just not as good as you at flying my toy airplane as you.
-ken
Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Probably both
Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Boys;
Both of you take a time out! [>:]

The Safety Barriers are a positive change in the flight line (IMHO).

I have been hit, have seen out of control AC, and have seen barriers big and small stop out of control AC from hurting people. These barriers WORK!!

The problem (as I see it) is not "IF" we should have them; but "What specifications are required" - now we get into the great debate between 2', 3', 1 metre high. Are wings required on the barriers? How are they to be anchored? Should there be one behind the pilot?

Heck; if you listened to all the folks the pilot would be locked in a 3 MTR ABS ball!! and the Spectators??? Well let's not go there. . . .[:'(]

As to temporary sites like Float Flies. . . well just what are you going to do on a dock or a beach?
Sorry; more questions than answers - and our wonderful leaders have not (as of yet) clarified this situation. . .

What we need is 'Common Sense Rules' - the problem is that we live in a society that is replacing "Common Sense Rules" with "Lawyer's Rules"'; and now we will all loose. [:'(] [&o]

Let's all just sit down and try to think about "How" it can be done, rather than why it "Can't" be done.

IMHO
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 AM

Common sense rules.... hmnnn....

My common sense tells me that each flying site, in fact every modeller has unique requirements. What works for what we fondly refer to as sport flying may not make sense to other disciplines. It's too easy to build safety requirements based on our familiarity with our own unique experiences.

I recall a local club trying to enforce a particular type of tether on aircraft because this made sense to them at the time (they all flew .40-.60 size sport aicraft). They'd forgotten that a few of us were flying helis at the time.... it makes no sense to tether a heli. I also have issues with tethers, I'd rather have a person (of my choice) holding my aircraft that relying on some mechanical device, and having to deal with safely releasing my aircraft while running.

Safety is a practice, not a rule. Some rules make sense ... when applied in the context they were devised (like tethers in control line). Unfortunately context is easy to loose, especially when you don't seek (or listen to) the input of those with different experience.[]
Old 09-12-2005, 08:58 PM

Well said Jim!

That is my point exactly! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Even Marc said the same thing (para phrasing now ); 'General rules applied locally, make more sense than Hard and Fast National Rules.'

When the rule makers sit down they have not considered ALL the aspects of this very diverse hobby, consequensely they make up a well intentioned rule that totally alienates some aspect of the hobby.

In MY Humble Opinion; we need less specific rules and more general concepts that can be applied to fit the local situation.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bbbair

Even Marc said the same thing (para phrasing now ); 'General rules applied locally, make more sense than Hard and Fast National Rules.'
.....over and over again.....

AMen fellas