Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
 New to MAAC >

New to MAAC

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

New to MAAC

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to MAAC

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to mention I am finally an MAAC member, and now that my membership has arrived, I am in the process of searching for a flying club close by. No luck sofar, but working on it. My trainer is almost done, and I am excited to get going on flying something other than the sim!

Cheers,

HollywoodHitman
Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to MAAC

Welcome to MAAC!

You can start looking here for a club near you:

http://www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs.php?zn=3
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Any club suggestions for the Abbotsford area?

Cheers,

HH
Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 AM
My Feedback: (8)

ABBY HAWKS ABBOTSFORD, BC

Check out the www.maac.ca/clubs/clubs.php?zn=3

Maac lists the santioned clubs in Canada.

Jim

Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM

I have been emailing back and forth with Abe. It turns out they are a closed club and have no room for new members at this time. He didn't indicate whether or not there was a waiting list. It'd be an ideal club because of how close to home it is. It looks as though I am going to be signing up with the club in Mission. It's about a 30 min drive or so, but it seems to be the only option for me if I want to get flying sooner than later.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Cheers,

HH
Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Well, I joined the Mission Wings club. Nice bunch of guys. They got me up flying my first day despite a shortage of instructors, so I think I made the right choice.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Hello; I hear that there is a pretty active club in Chilliwak. My son lives there, but he doesn't fly. Might be worth a little trip there to introduce yourself.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 PM

Hi DD,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did join the Mission Wings club and am happy with my choice. They were very nice and managed to get me up flying despite the shortage of instructors...I'll probably look in on the Chilliwack Club as well since I am up there a fair amount for work. Maybe they'll let me fly there once in awhile.

Cheers,

HH
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM

HH, consider doing what a lot of your fellow modellers do -- join more than one club.

I'll admit that it may make your learning to fly a bit longer to accomplish unless you find instructors at both clubs with similar styles (how and what they teach) so you're not in a constant process of unlearning soemthign you just learned at the other club.

The MAAC Wings Program is available on the MAAC website and you should print off a copy of it and the logbook (if its there) so you can track and monitor your own progress.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Byrocat,

Thanks for the suggestion, but with a newborn, I barely have the time or money to get to one club! I have downloaded the Wings Program, but have yet to make any headway into it or a real training program. The weather here this summer hasn't been too helpful in sofar as my days off, but I am optimistic!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Hollywood: Contact your MAAC rep. A closed club!!! I fly in Burlington Ontario, (check the population) we never trurn down a new member and our club has approached 200+
Today I flew from 10:00 AM to 1:30 PM at the most there were 5 other members. New members are the blood and bones of a heathly club.
Welcome to the hobby, have fun learning a new skill.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 AM

Just an update on this everyone. Been in the club now for about 10 months. Met some great people and some good flying buddies. It's funny how this works, but now, even if I could join a club 10 minutes closer I'd probably pass. Good bunch, taught me how to fly (got my wings) instead of flying their own gear. Love the hobby, onto plane #4 already! Thanks Mission Wings MFC!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[font="Arial"]Hello Hollywood: Just to touch base, our group "down" south of the border, Bellair Flyers in Bellingham. Go to "www.bellairflyers.com" Yeah were a "little" drive to our site. Your more than welcome to come down and fly with our group. As you can see on the web site, we are an established group of flyers that really enjoy our hobby and to share with others.
Myself I've been away from flying the last 3 or 4 years ( racing dirt sprint midgets) that phase of my life is over and now it's time to get serious on having "low stress FUN". I am glad you were able to secure a group that was able to help you get started, cheers to them.

Well have a good building season and hope to see you at the field. Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Hi Race, going to go check out your club site right now! I've not been across the line for awhile, but if you guys have any fun flies, let us know! I think we've got a couple coming up this year, although I haven't heard any dates yet.

I'll send you a PM when I get some info. I'll be sure to have our club send yours an invite!

Cheers,

HH