Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS/Evoloution 58

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS/Evoloution 58

I have the Evolution version of the 58 and I am curious if the threaded stud in the center of the drive hub can be removed? Why is it there? There are already 6 prop bolts, is the center bolt really necessary?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS/Evoloution 58

Chris,

All props that I know, or ever saw, have a hole drilled in their center.
It is around this hole that the props are balanced during their production.

This engine, as well as all other model engines that have a 3/4/6 bolt mounting pattern also have this 10 mm center stud, sometimes without a thread, to center the prop on its 10 mm center hole.

Use it for what it was meant.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:45 PM

The center bolt is flanged, and holds the prop drive on the taper, so it cannot be safely removed.
If the mounting screws are not tightened regularly, the M5 bolts may be asked upon to provide the drive torque. Noty being disigned for that, they then will break, and if they do, the central nut will keep the prop on the hub.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:44 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the info, I just don't like the look of the big bolt out front....guess ill just have to break down and get a new spinner.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Well, looks are not everything
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Pe,

I can't keep the center 10mm nut on the shaft. It will loosen, and come off the shaft. Any ideas??? Here's my process of installing the prop... I slide the prop on the shaft, lineup the screw holes, and put 2 screws in the hub... I then put on the 10mm nut, and tighten very tight with a 17mm wrench... I then add the rest of the screws..... Can the nut 'bottom out"? Just weird, IMO.

Dennis
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM

All those screws together will easily compress a wood prop, as I found out. And yes, the central nut will bottom out at about 21mm thickness. That is why the manual states a prop hub thickness greater than 21mm.
The central nut should be tightened last, with dexterity. It can hold the prop all by itself if need be, but that would also tighten the drive taper higher up the crankshaft cone. The M5 bolts have no influence on the taper tightness.
The 45cc engine only uses three bolts, and IMHO that is more than enough for the 58cc as well.