Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

mvvs 1.6 inverted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mvvs 1.6 inverted?

Is there any problems with mounting the mvs 1.60 gasser inverted eg. starting, running,?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mvvs 1.6 inverted?

NewFlyGuy,

No, there is no problem with this mounting position.

It will run the same as it would upright, or side-saddle.

The Walbro carburettor has pump that does away with all these 'non-pumped glow only' problems.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 AM

They run just fine inverted, but if you ca mount them with the head at about 7:30, you will reduce the chance of ever having a hydraulic lock, or fuel fouling the plug. If your airframe demands an inverted install, go for it though!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks Dar and David, David, how often does "lock" and fouled plugs happen and what causes it ? Is this a result of the pump being in the wrong position when the engine is sitting?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 AM

You would only experience a hydraulic lock in the case of very severe flooding. Extremley rare, but I have had a customer destroy a con-rod bearing when he tried to clear a badly flooded engine with an electric starter. Use one one's brain before engaging such a device will usually prevent that sort of damage !

In Canada, where airplanes get stored for long periods, I do like to make sure that the spark plug is not the lowest point of the engine. This helps keep the plug clean, and the engine easy to start when things thaw out!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks, one more quick question if you guys don't mind. To do the inverted install or the 7:30 I am looking at custom header, my question is; is the length of the header(120cm, I believe)needed,measured around the swan neck or a straight line from port to end of header, and does this swan neck change anything in performance? Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to tuned pipes. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 AM

Hmmmm...120cm would make for a looooooong exhaust! Try to keep the header length as close as possible to the stock lenght. You can cut and weld the header material fairly easily to re-configure it to your requirement. The silencer should be mounted so that there is only a minimal gap between it and the header. If you leave too much space, the silicone coupler won't last very long.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:34 AM

NewFlyGuy,

I believe you meant 120 mm; not cm...

If you don't want to self-fabricate your header to fit, you can go to [link=http://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de/neu/shop.php?lang=EN]Krumscheid[/link] and select from what they have to offer. Just go to 'Engines' and select the MVVS 26 cc.

You must take into account that as you lengthen the tuned exhaust, the boost range becomes lower.

At the stock length, the MVVS #2366 with the #3265/26 header, have a boost range of 6,500-9.000 RPM.
If you make it longer, it could boost from, say, 5,500-8,000 RPM, but this will allow you to spin larger props with authority.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:30 AM

yes I did mean 120mm, sorry bout that, so I am to assume that the distance is measured as the exhaust travels not a straight line per say?

Brad.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:46 AM

This is true, Brad.

The 'pressure waves' have to travel the actual distance; not the 'straight line' distance.

No sharp curves must be within the pipe, or the wave will break and boost will diminish.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks Dar and David for all the info, this has been a great help to me.

Brad