Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

46FX piston/liner

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 46FX piston/liner

Will a 46AX piston and liner fit a FX? Mine is flaking the chrome.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:40 AM

Received 80 Likes on 74 Posts

Nope...

But the ASP/Magnum 46 2-stroke piston/liner set is a direct drop in fit for the OS FX46 and FXi 46.

With better performance to boot.

If you can find one, because those engines are all discontinued. But with some searching and a bit of patience, sometimes you can find some NOS.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Curious, once you suffer the OS nickel failure, why you'd ever go back to another OS engine? AX has the same problem. How many short lived engines does it take to abandon a poorly made engine simply because it's easier to tune? The OS Surpass engines are heavy bricks compared to a Saito, the OS nickel junk lasts 1/3 the life of a quality German/Japan made engine. Only people my fathers age would agree these days. Most never owned an Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre in their life.
The chance of finding an ASP piston/liner for a decent price, you could just get a lifetime runner like Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre. They tune well for me, they're just different. I've seen locals suffer the same demise with the AX .46 and the AX .65 with peeled liners, and with fewer fuel choices these days it doesn't give an active flier room to experiment between castor and synthetic fuel. If search worked on this site, I'm I could find some history on this topic.

Some believe it's a repetitious lean run engine (abuse), or a poor choice in fuel, but the nature of a 2 stroke glow engine is bound to run lean at times, sooner or later. Your engine shouldn't self destruct because of a few lean runs, I always thought ABC was more forgiving than ringed engines if you had a lean run? Just one of those things that make you wonder...
Old 12-26-2022, 09:18 AM

Because i like them from an engineering (evolution) point of view and variety, rarely run them. People like junk cars and buy them. no diff really.

Last edited by andy120; 12-26-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:02 PM

I agree, couldn't word it any better.

Last edited by J330; 12-26-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by J330
Curious, once you suffer the OS nickel failure, why you'd ever go back to another OS engine? AX has the same problem. How many short lived engines does it take to abandon a poorly made engine simply because it's easier to tune? The OS Surpass engines are heavy bricks compared to a Saito, the OS nickel junk lasts 1/3 the life of a quality German/Japan made engine. Only people my fathers age would agree these days. Most never owned an Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre in their life.
The chance of finding an ASP piston/liner for a decent price, you could just get a lifetime runner like Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre. They tune well for me, they're just different. I've seen locals suffer the same demise with the AX .46 and the AX .65 with peeled liners, and with fewer fuel choices these days it doesn't give an active flier room to experiment between castor and synthetic fuel. If search worked on this site, I'm I could find some history on this topic.

Some believe it's a repetitious lean run engine (abuse), or a poor choice in fuel, but the nature of a 2 stroke glow engine is bound to run lean at times, sooner or later. Your engine shouldn't self destruct because of a few lean runs, I always thought ABC was more forgiving than ringed engines if you had a lean run? Just one of those things that make you wonder...
I can asure you it is both cheaper and easier to find an ASP donor engine, compared to the Enya's Rossi's, Webra's or SuperTigres, because those owners usually do not want to part with them...

And every once in a while, those piston/liner sets also turn up new. That's how I got 2 of them a while back. New and unused. But if you can find an ASP 46, chances are you can pick it up for 10 to 20 bucks with a piston and liner in good condition.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by andy120
Because i like them from an engineering (evolution) point of view and variety, rarely run them. People like junk cars and buy them. no diff really.
They are maybe not the most powerful 46 engines out there, but aside from the material choice of the liner, they are actually very nice and smooth running engines.
I converted mine (and a few customer engines) to gasoline with the ASP piston liner set.
As they come, I think it is one of the nicest running OS engines.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:54 PM

What is it with the liners? poor plating?
Old 12-27-2022, 06:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Improper plating process. Nickel doesn’t stick to brass very well if the plating process is t done correctly. When done correctly, it won’t peel or flake off. Also, if the nickel plating layer is very thin, it can cause adhesion problems as well. Look at a Thunder Tiger ABN liner next to an OS ABN liner and you’ll easily see the difference. The plating layer on TT liners is thicker. TT liners don’t peel either.

For around $100, you can find a NIB SuperTigre .45 that will be stellar right from the box. If you need to use gobs of nitro, add a head shim to raise the head a couple thou. Nice running engines that last forever and don’t need nitro to run well (though 5% adds a little kick). With a flat spraybar swap, they run within 1k RPM of a Jett .45 on smaller props.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:14 AM

Fortunately, so far, none of my OS engines had peeled up yet, so over time I made the transition to anything else but OS.
I picked up two Super Tigre G .40 engines for $30 a piece, and when I picked them up, he had a new in box Super Tigre .51 ringed engine for just $60 more.
All should perform better than any of the OS versions more reliably.
Meanwhile any used OS goes for $60 pretty easily, breaking even for new replacing used, since I haven't seen one ASP liner for sale in a couple of years. Anyone who can find this thread who who can show me one ASP liner for $10 - $20 anywhere, I'd buy it.

Last edited by J330; 12-28-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by J330
it sure would be amazing if they can show me one ASP liner for $10 - $20 anywhere, I would buy it.
I have never seen an ASP piston/liner set for 10~20 bucks. If you find those they cost normal retail prices because that is what they are if you find themL NOS, going away for normal prices. Which would be around 40~45 bucks.

But I have bought at least 2 damaged ASP 46es for 10~20 bucks, gotten one for free and another two undamaged ones for 25 or so. All had their P/L set in good condition.

Engines are dirt cheap nowadays, but I have not found the ST 45~5 class that cheap. what I see is all in the 75 bucks range.
Strangely enough I actually DID get a very clean G2300 for free. Owner wanted to get rid of it because those things guzzle fuel and he was fed up with that...
Old 03-17-2023, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting my old OS FX liner that is peeling, re Nickle plated. I have a shop down the block from me and thinking of getting a price for them.
I realize the piston will still be old but at least the liner will not be peeling anymore.

Has anyone had this done?

Old 03-18-2023, 10:33 AM

That shop would be hard pressed to replate to the correct thickness, as the tolerance needed is AFAIK not freely available information.
But IF they can, and if you know the tolerance, they can of course also adapt the liner to that old piston, me thinks.

In any case I have never heard of anyone replating Nickelcoated OS liners.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still have my first ever engine, a used Supertigre 35 from the late 70's used in my first plane (a long gone Sig Kadet) and it runs great. Someone will get lucky at an estate sale