Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

46FX liner problem & 46SF problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46FX liner problem & 46SF problem

Hi Bill,

FWIW, I'm one of those experienced guys that started running OS engines back in 1969. I know how to take care of an engine. I have never had a problem with any OS engine that I bought and broke-in myself. I run OS #8 plugs and Omega 10% fuel, and 11.5X4 & 12x4 APC props on these engines.

Having said that, I have an early 46FX that looks like it developed the liner peeling problem. I noticed that it just didn't run right last year and I tore it down to find something that looks like peeling at the top of the liner. I can feel depressions with a fingernail. Should I send this in to see if it's covered or am I out of luck?

I also have a problem with a 46SF ring with a pump that I acquired after a club member passed away. This engine ran great. One day at a flight demo for some grade school kids I started it and let it idle for a bit. When I advanced the throttle it sounded like a loud screaching growl for just a few second and then sounded normal. I shut it down and looked it over, then restarted it and everything seemed fine. Since that day it has run okay, but I began noticing gray oil coming out of the carb when I bring the plane back into the pits. (The engine was mounted at a 45 angle on a 3D ship with the muffler running down the bottom of the fuselage) The piston, ring, and sleeve look great. Is it possible that I have a bad bearing or perhaps the bearing spun in the crankcase? Do you have part numbers available for the bearings?

Finally, is it more cost effective for me to send these engines in for service or just buy the parts myself. I've torn down and reassembled countless engines for cleaning so that part of it is not an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Chuck Mills

Old 04-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 46FX liner problem & 46SF problem

If the liner of your .46 FX has peeled, it would normally be replaced at no charge. Send it in.

As far as the .46 SF is concerned, a teardown will show what's wrong, but if the bearing's bad, and metal's gone through the engine, it really won't be cost-effective to repair. You can buy a new .46 AX for what it may cost to repair the SF.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
CHM

Thanks, I'll send the FX in right away.

As for the SF, Tower's price on the carb and pump (O.S. Pump System PA104 .46 SF) is $134.99, so I feel as though it is worth trying to repair it since I got a very good deal on the engine at an estate sale. The liner, piston, and ring all look very good. I can't explain the gray oil. I will pull the bearings tonight and examine everything closely.

Again, thanks for your help and quick response.

Chuck
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
CHM

Bax,

I gave the SF a close exam. The front bearing had some play in it. I had a spare front bearing with the same numbers on it from a Magnum Pro 40 that I installed in the SF. Everything else looks good. I'll test run it and see how it goes.

The FX is in the mail.

Thanks for your help!