Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 60 FP Idling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 60 FP Idling Problem

I'm fairly new to the RC airplane hobby so I need some help. I've got a 60 size Bingo that has a used OS Max 60 FP engine that I bought off of Ebay. I have not flown the plane with this engine yet. It runs great at top end but sometimes it will cut off when going from full throttle to idle. I have tried adjusting to run a little richer than I would want but it still occasionally will cut off rather abruptly. I have also tried adjusting the air bleed on the front of carb. I have the idle speed adjusted to about 3000 RPM. The idle speed moves around about 400-500 RPM. I don't know if this is normal or not. Another thing it will do is after it cuts off, when I restart, it will fire then cut off. Then it takes about 3-4 seconds of turning with the starter motor before it will fire again. It seems like it is losing its prime but I haven't figured out how to correct it. I have tried another #8 glow plug and it does the same thing. I am burning Cool Power 15%. Prop size is 12x6. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: OS 60 FP Idling Problem

Th air-bleed screw is your idle mixture adjustment. Open it to lean the mixture, close it to richen. Start out with the air-bleed screw set so that it blocks 1/2 of the air-bleed hole. Usually, idle needs to be leaned a hair once the high-speed needle's been set. Many times, it works best if you don't use muffler pressure, but rely on straight suction. Your fuel tank can't be too high or too low to work properly. Please make sure the tank has its centerline even with the center of the carb or no more than about 3/8" lower.