Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

46AX DOES NOT SOUND GOOD AFTER 10 FLIGHTS? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46AX DOES NOT SOUND GOOD AFTER 10 FLIGHTS? HELP!

I have an O.S. .46AX which after about 10 flights does not sound good! I have 2 of these engines along with a .50SX, .40LA, 46LA, a few SuperTigres, and a Saito 100. Never had any problems with any of my engines except this particular .46AX. I love O.S. Engines and they have always been reliable for me, but I am not sure what happened with this one. I performed a proper break-in as printed in the manual. I have been running it on the rich side since the break-in with a nice trail still streaming from the muffler during flights. I use 15% with 18% 80/20 Synthetic/Castor blend as I use on most of my engines except the Saito. Also, after each flight, I always run it dry and use PLENTY of after-run oil after each day of flying. After about the 10th flight, the plane sat for about 2 weeks, nose down with after-run oil in it as I do with all my planes in between flying days. When I went to take out the plane 2 weeks later, the prop was hard to turn and didn't sound very smooth. I started it up and it sounded really bad, like the bearings were really rough. I couldn't pin point where it was coming from exactly but it sounded like either the front bearing or somewhere close to it in the drive shaft area. It wouldn't stay running either, but I quickly shut it down as I knew something wasn't right. Now like I said, this engine is fairly new, about only 10 flights on it and it should still be under warranty. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I am assuming I should send it in to O.S. for a warranty repair, I hope I can find the original sales slip, eeekkk. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 46AX DOES NOT SOUND GOOD AFTER 10 FLIGHTS? HELP!

It's difficult to say what the problem with your engine may be. "Hard to turn over" can result from many things, from solidified fuel residue. to bad bearings, bent parts, adn so on. Foreign object damage is quite common with model engines.

Sending the engine to the service center may be a good idea.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAX,
When I look inside of the piston area through the muffler port, I see most of the inner linning is grayish but there are some areas that have a goldish look to it. I don't think this is normal, is it? I don't see it on my other engines. Thanks...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you see a 'goldish' area on the inside of the cylinder liner, it can mean that the plating has either come off or been eroded. A replacemetn of the piston/cylinder assembly would be indicated.