Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

How rich is too rich??? Need Help Tuning!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How rich is too rich??? Need Help Tuning!!

I have an O.S. 40FP from the 80's that I am just now breaking in. Since this is the first time I have actually tried to run a glow powered engine Im concerned with breaking this in correctly. Presently I have run two tanks through it with good results in transition, idle, and top end, but Im getting a very heavy fuel coating on the plane each tank. I have no tach. to measure RPM so I couldnt tell you what the turns are. I have set it to run at 1/2 turn open, past maximum rpm to ear. Could I reduce this to prevent such a build up, or is this normal? After one tank you can write your name on the fuselage. Please help me with your extended experience. Once I get this one running I have a second one NIB to put on my other trainer. Please help!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How rich is too rich??? Need Help Tuning!!

To judge how lean the needle is set, you just have to give the fuel line a quick pinch. If the engine's RPM picks up, the engine is running on the rich side of peak RPM. As long as the RPM picks up when you pinch, you're OK. If it stays the same or sags, you need to richen the mixture.

As far as oil on the plane, you just have to live with it. Remember, almost 20% of your fuel is oil, and it doesn't burn. It has to go somewhere, and one place is onto the model once it leaves the tailpipe of the muffler. It's not uncommon to have a dark streak of thick oil along the side of the plane. Welcome to using glow fuel.

Just bring along plenty of wipes. I alway go to my building-supply center and buy a box of the disposable rags. Just wipe the stuff off after every flight, and then use a good cleaner at the end of the day to de-grease the model.

People use glass cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, a home-brew mixture of rubbing alcohol, water, and a touch of dish detergent...and so on. Anything that doesn't leave a film is fine. Sometimes, you have to clean twice because of the buildup.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How rich is too rich??? Need Help Tuning!!

Thanks Bax,
I thought I was going to have a little oil to deal with, but I am surprised that there is that much. Its like the Valdez, and my plane were at the same place that gloomy day.
Thanks again for your knowledgeable and rapid response. Ron

So much to learn!!