Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

O.S. 1.60 FX pump needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 1.60 FX pump needed?

I have seen a couple of ads with O.S 1.60 FX ringed engines for sale with a pump and tapped for a pump. I was wondering if this engine needs a pump to operate properly or not. I have not heard anything from anyone about this engine needing a pump to run properly. I realize it depends on the location of the tank to the engine, but under normal situations with the tank located directly behind the enginem it should not need a pump. Please advise as I am thinking of purchasing one of these and do not want to go to the trouble of using a pump if it is not necessary.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Rick
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 1.60 FX pump needed?

It's been said many times before, but you don't need a pump. Those people who think they do usually are using a very large fuel tank that is placed away from the engine and are doing aerobatics that involve a lot of vertical attitudes (hovering). Also, they are not using mufflers that deliver enough pressure to the fuel tank. Many aftermarket mufflers just don't deliver the pressure to the tank that the engine needs. You'll also want to use large fuel tubing and re-plumb the tank with the larger tubing. That insures you get minimal fuel line drag. The 1.60 FX is a large engine and does have large fuel needs.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Bax.
Another question; does the Bison Pitts style muffler deliver enough pressure or should I look at another muffler? I am thinking of mounting the engine horizontally to keep the profile low and do not want the factory muffler hanging down in the wind like that. It is mainly for looks to keep everything as neat as possible. If it is best to stay with the stock muffler, I guess I will just have to live with it hanging out.
Rick
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many "Pitts" style mufflers do not provide much pressure to help many engines. Almost all of the larger engines we know of need to have the muffler outlet area decreased a bit to increase muffler pressure.