Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

O.S. 120 surpass II idle mix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 120 surpass II idle mix?

I recently purchased a 120 surpass II pump. I was very pleased with it at first but the second time I ran it the idle didn't act right. It would open up fine but when I cut it down to idle it would come down, speed up a little then die out. It sounded like when you pinch the fuel line on one to see if the mixture is right. I have never dealt with a pump like this and without some kind of idea of what is there I don't look forward to taking it apart to check for trash which is what I suspect. I have the instructions for the engine but can find no adjust for the idle mixture. I am sure I can clean it but would really like to have an exploded diagram. So I come to the ones that know. What would you do and can you tell me where to get the carb diagrams? Thanks, James Harrell.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 AM

Default RE: O.S. 120 surpass II idle mix?

Hey Bax, I found the low setting. I did some reading on this site and found some advice you have given others.My eccentric screw was mis-positioned. I put it at 12 o-clock and it idles decent with an occasional cut off when I accelerate from idle. Never-the less I am going to leave it there because it is 45 degrees here right now and that is not my normal flying weather and for some reason my wife won't let me tune it in the house. Women. I think it is a little rich at idle but that could be because of the high being to rich as well. I have still got to put the tach on it to get that right and go from there. When it warms up a little would probably be the best time to do that I think. Thanks for posting my answer befor I even asked. By the way is the adjust on the idle mix left for rich and right for lean or the other way around? James
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Right is lean, left is rich, just like on the main needle. We find that setting the idle to about 1:00 o'clock usually is about right.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Just a quick thought. If these are as reliable as I am told and have so far been shown, why don't they still make them? And thanks for the info again.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

O.S. hasn't given us their thinking, but I would think that they believe that the current system is an improvement over the older one.