Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ok Here's the deal....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Here's the deal....

Ok here's the deal I am looking for a plane that I can fly indoor during the winter at a university gym and something i can take to the park next to my house in the summer I was thinking about a GWS beaver or a Graupner Mini Piper and getting ski's for it and flying it indoor and in the park behind my house but wanted to know what you guys think...I am also looking for advice on a battery and a charger. I don't wanna buy a Triton charger right now because of the $ but I was thinking like the GWS charger and just buying to batteries that come with the GWS flight pack! Right now I fly Glow engine planes I have mastered my trainer and have flown a couple planes since then and I just want something to ply with and do what I said above!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Ok Here's the deal....

Sounds like a great plan, but I don't think the Mini-Piper is a good indoor candidate - it's not a slow flier and doesn't handle too well at low speeds. While you may be able to pull it off, I think it would be hair-raising. I don't know about the Beaver, but it looks like the same deal to me.

However, if you do have some stick time under your belt, then you might be very pleased with Hobby-Lobby.com's Rare Bear or Strega. They're low-wing, aileron controlled planes (I think you can add rudder to the Strega if you want) and will turn on a dime. They do fly slow and I think would be very pleasing in a gym-sized area. Put Li-Polies in them and they're an ear-to-ear grin!

Dan.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:14 PM

Juniorpilot,

I wouldnt suggest the beaver. It flies a little to fast to be flown inside. I would look at the slow stick or maybe an aerobird.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM

Well it's not one gym but like 3 or 4 full size basketball gyms like nba size and a little bigger. I am going to call my electric HS and see what they got!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Banned

parkflyermaster,

You must be really a master if you can fly a large Hobbyzone plane indoors. I have a hard time keeping my Firebird Commander within one soccer field. Luckily There are about 6 soccerfields in one area, so it makes for a great park. I do try to push the limits too see how tight I can keep it, but it would be tough to fly a hobbyzone bird in a gym. I know the aerobrid can turn tighter with the x-pack, but I don't think it was intended for indoor use.

WB
Old 09-30-2003, 02:19 AM

I would definately go for the slow stick, the interference in my area is so bad I can't get any further than 150ft away from my slow stick before it starts to jump around and head straight for the ground. I even lengthened the antenna to 39" but it made no difference at all. So I just keep it really close to me at all times. I haven't flown anything in over five years so it can be a bit challenging to keep it within range all the time, but so far I haven't hurt it, too bad. I really love it when it is only a few feet away from me flying so slow I can walk beside it and keep up. And at $35us, $85 here in Australia, you can't go wrong. I am thinking about purchasing a Hitec 555 Dual conversion receiver so I can fly it higher than the trees, but having to keep it so close has to be improving my piloting skills

Charley
Old 09-30-2003, 07:01 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Having owned both the Rare Bear and the GWS Beaver at one point or another, and having tried to fly both indoors, I must say that the Rare Bear makes a much better, but not ideal, indoor flier. In a gym the size of two basketball courts, the Rare Bear is an exercise in concentration. The Beaver is just good at smashing into walls...

GWS Tiger Moths, Pico Stiks and Slow Sticks fly well indoors if you've got at least two basketball courts worth of space. I'm hoping my new T3D will give me the slow aerobatic indoor flight that I've been looking for.