Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 GWS E-STARTER   Increased flight time? >

GWS E-STARTER Increased flight time?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS E-STARTER Increased flight time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS E-STARTER Increased flight time?

Well, I really dig my e-starter. It works great, takes a beating and keeps on going. I want to buy more batteries for it now that I know I like it. I am getting about 3-5 minute flight times at full or high throttle. I rarely go under full throttle because I love the tricks it can do at high speed. I am using a 350c motor with an ICS100 or ICS300 speed control and a 8.4/730mah NI-MH battery. Does anyone have any tips for a good battery to get for this set up? I would like some more speed out of my motor and a little bit longer flight times. I would also like to buy batteries that yould work well with other GWS planes in the 350c and 400c range because I plan on buying some more craft like the new Tiger moth 3d and BN2 Islander w/EDF. Basically I would love to buy some universal batteries for GWS planes that are powerful and last long. I don't have much experience with electronics. I just buy basic flight packs. Any advice would be great.
WB
Old 11-04-2003, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: GWS E-STARTER Increased flight time?

You seem to have hit the electric dilema.
Now days, most of the time the answer to batter questions or problems is Li-poly. With the small brushed motors, this creates a problem. Li-poly doesn't give you much choice in voltage, usually 7v or 10v for our applications. The problem is that at 7v the motor usually doesn't creat enough power to be of much use, and at 10v power is outstanding but motor live is cut down to as little as 5 or 6 flights.
OTOH you could go nicad or nimh, I personally prefer nimh because they are generally lighter, but still much heavier than li-poly. Adding an extra cell to your batt pack will give you more power, but you'll loose some motor life.
You could use 720mah packs and generally get 6-8 minutes with an 8cell pack, but your motor will be at the limit of these cells for amp draw.
You could use some 8cell HEcell 1100mah packs, they will give you approximately 10-12minutes.
There is also the 8cell KAN 950mah packs. These packs will handle higher amp draw and give more usable power than the HEcells, expect an extra minute or 2, but they are also about 1oz heavier.
KAN also has their 8cell 650mah pack that is about 2oz lighter than their 950 packs. I don't have any of these packs so I don't know about performance, but they are supposed to be great up to 10-12amps which is more than enough for your motor.

Just keep in mind that a heavier pack will change the way your plane flies.
I hope this helped.

Jason
Old 11-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Banned

There is also the 8cell KAN 950mah packs. These packs will handle higher amp draw and give more usable power than the HEcells, expect an extra minute or 2, but they are also about 1oz heavier.
KAN also has their 8cell 650mah pack that is about 2oz lighter than their 950 packs. I don't have any of these packs so I don't know about performance, but they are supposed to be great up to 10-12amps which is more than enough for your motor.
Thanks for the input. Some of your reply made sense. It seems a lot of people have different views on this topic. I checked a lot of forums, but it is just making me more confused. Can you tell me where to find the batteries in your statement above. I like cheap batterypacks.com prices, but I don't see anything similar to what you or anybody else is talking about. I do see the KAN 1050 packs.

WB
Old 11-05-2003, 01:00 AM

The 1050 is a the latest from KAN and has a bit more capacity then the older 950. It is a good battery pack. Cheap Battery Packs is a great place to buy from.

Sierra Gold
Old 11-05-2003, 10:48 AM
My Feedback: (4)

You can find the HEcell 1100 and Sanyo 720 packs here

You can find the KAN packs here, the 650's are at the top.

Jason