Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Balsa v. Styrofoam planes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa v. Styrofoam planes

I recently bought and began flying a Switchback from Mountain Models. I have flown a zagi for a little more than a year. Until the Switchback bug bit me, I didn't think that I would fly anything but styrofoam planes. I coudn't imagine flying what looked like very delicate balsa models.
That all changed a few weeks ago when I bought my Switchback. After a few problems with the landing gear, I have finally begun to see how great balsa planes are. I can comfortably perform loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls, etc., etc., about 50 feet off of the ground with my new switchback. Moving to balsa was a bit scarey and I have had to make a few repairs, but it has been worth it. Have other flyers had the same experience? What are people's thoughts on balsa v. styrofoam?
Unprof
Old 11-24-2003, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Balsa v. Styrofoam planes

Foamies were great for learning to fly, but after seeing some balsa planes in the air I just had to do that, too! Now I have "balsa fever" and that's all I will get from now on. They just look so "purdy" with the sun shining thru the covering in the air and flight characterists are more graceful and realistic, I think.

The Mini-Telemaster is the latest in my fleet and it's great.

see pic-

ORIGINAL: Unprof

I recently bought and began flying a Switchback from Mountain Models. I have flown a zagi for a little more than a year. Until the Switchback bug bit me, I didn't think that I would fly anything but styrofoam planes. I coudn't imagine flying what looked like very delicate balsa models.
That all changed a few weeks ago when I bought my Switchback. After a few problems with the landing gear, I have finally begun to see how great balsa planes are. I can comfortably perform loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls, etc., etc., about 50 feet off of the ground with my new switchback. Moving to balsa was a bit scarey and I have had to make a few repairs, but it has been worth it. Have other flyers had the same experience? What are people's thoughts on balsa v. styrofoam?
Unprof
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25413.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	77102  
Old 11-24-2003, 09:00 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Balsa v. Styrofoam planes

I have had that exact experience. Now I am getting ready for my third Mountain Models airplane. I already have the Switchback and Tantrum.

Jason