Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS F-4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS F-4U Corsair

I just thought I'd post my Corsair:

Himax 2015-5400
Phoenix 10 speed control
2 cell LiPoly and 8 Cell NiMh
APC 10X7 Propeller

Over 50 flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89991.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	125032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51206.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	125033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44105.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	125034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98269.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	125035  
Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 PM

Default RE: GWS F-4U Corsair

looks good and sounds like it flies like stink with dat MiMaxx
AWESOME!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:42 AM

This beast really flies great. The only problem is that I had to take off the landing gear because its been bent many times over and over.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is mine.

Name:	Ge94932.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	125126  
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Hey they both look great. Any ideas how this plane compares with the Hobby-Lobby Corsair park flyer?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 PM

The Hobby Lobby Corsair is made by Alpha Models and it does look nicer. It has a nicer cowl I think. You are paying twice as much for it though and for me, I decided to go with GWS, as I am cheap. Here is mine.

Himax 2025-5300
Phoenix 25 ESC
Vario 9 prop or APC 11x7 prop
Tanic 3s 2200mah lipo

I also bent my landing gear so I got rid of it, threw on some packing tape and now I just land it on it's belly in the grass. Works great!

Name:	Mj24343.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	125341  
Old 04-23-2004, 12:39 PM

Here's my Corsair. Airbrushed with craft acrylics and Tamiya Acrylics. Carved the pilot from Balsa wood. Haven't flown her yet, as I just started flying my P51. Making a nice transition from my Beaver to the Mustang. Once I get that mastered, I'm retiring my Beaver and transplanting her electronics to the Corsair. Since I'm so pleased with how she looks, I'm not at all anxious to get this bird scuffed up.

Name:	Zw69619.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	125533  
Old 04-23-2004, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

Here is mine.
Man on man that one so buelyfull, where did you get the idea to do that; and where did you get the goodyear decal?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:30 PM

I built the Corsair as well. I am using a Razor 350 motor and a 3 cell 2100Mh/hr LiPo battery with a 12x6 prop. Very acrobatic plane. Has anyone built one with only one Aileron servo? How does that bent torque rod system work? Hope to get a digital camera soon and post pics before she gets schmucked. I lost a sweet P-51 in the sun cuz I was too anxious to fly.

Derrick
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 PM

Alot of people say that the ME-109 is a better than the Corsair, however, I have to disagree. My Corsair does better rolls than my 109 because of the longer ailerons.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:31 PM

I'm about to build mine and it will be stock. I'm thinking about just doing ailerons and elevator and throttle. Read that it flies well like this with no landing gear and its lighter too. I hope when its finished it looks as good as the ones I see posted here. I know it would fly much better with the hot rod parts you guys put in them but my RC habit is on a limited budget because I have 3 boys to help spend my paycheck. For some reason they ask to do silly things like eat. But I'm beginning to get them interested in this hobby so mom seems to think its just going to get more expensive. Till I get rich I'll just have to live with stock power systems.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:34 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mike!
I got the idea while surfing a few years back for FG-1 Super Corsairs and the " Lucky Gallon" Race #92 came up. The full scale was a cream and red scheme, but Goodyear made a promo diecast a few years back in the blue and gold. I liked the blue and gold better and have been waiting to get one to paint this way and you saw the results. I cut the mask for the flying foot out of a sheet of paper and just heald it up to the side of the plane and sprayed away. The paint is glossy water based acrilic from Wal-Mart... about $2 for a good size bottle, enough to do about 20 of these planes. [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 04-26-2004, 08:36 AM

Flew my Corsair this weekend. I read that this plane is supposed to be a pretty solid flyer. Speed is impressive. It seems very twitchy though. I get pretty good altitude, but man I'm just having a bugger of a time trimming it out. My P51 is solid as a rock in the air, but the Corsair is all over the place. One time it simply nosed down right into the ground from 50 feet for no apparent reason.

My CG is just at the spar of the wing (there's a groove in the wing for a spar), with a GWS 8.4 NIMH pack. Maybe I need to add a bit of nose weight. Also, I am running the stock aileron linkage. Is the plane designed to give more downthrow than up, because that's what I'm getting. I think I need to adjust this, because it seems that I have to counter steer out of a turn to regain level. The elvator is very sensitive too.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Vintauri, I have built and flown both. My opinions follow:

The GWS is slower than the Alpha, less agile, but better suited to indoor than the Alpha. You can fly the Alpha in some serious wind--the GWS--NOT so serious wind. The GWS takes a LOT longer to finish up for flight. It also has none of the surface finish quality or appearance that the Alpha has. The Alpha models come out lighter. Alphas do NOT have landing gear, therefore the cool ROG stuff is not an option---they handlaunch fantastic, though.
The Alpha's have a better, more "solid" feel in the air. FWIW
Old 04-26-2004, 12:34 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Are you guys gearing those HiMaxx and Razor motors. I was advised to try the 2015-4100 with c gearing for my GWS Mustang. It doesn't fly nearly as well as my Zero with MP Jet 25-35/20.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:14 PM

Geo, I have also experienced this same fateful dive. what I have found out with this plane is it needs to be speeding along pretty much all the time. If it is in a glide, do not try to take any serious turns at a slow speed or this plane falls out of the sky. Keep your speed up in the turns! Man these gearboxes are getting expensive!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the advise. Glad it's not just my imagination or my poor piloting. I did add a bit of weight to the nose last night, as I figured my CG to be a little too far back. I hate to add weight, but couldn't really shift anything to get it right. So I'll test it again this week to see if she's more stable.

Correct me if my calculations are wrong, but 50 to 55mm should convert to approximately 2" to 2 1/8". Is this the proper range for CG?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:50 AM

This Corsair is terribly disappointing to me. I tested it again with the new CG, but it still displays the bad habits. It'll bee-bop all over the sky and then falls into an unrecoverable tip stall or nose dive for no apparent reason. All this at full throttle. Is it possible that it's underpowered? Everything is stock; motor, aileron links, 10x8 prop, 8.4 GWS NIMH. All this works well in my Mustang. I'm wondering if I should try the GWS 400 motor setup in it, or beef up to a 9.6V pack. I think I may revisit my aileron linkage as well. I don't use much rudder, if at all, so should I rely on rudder some more? It is a sturdy plane, I must say. But boy I'm really not liking it's flights.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:53 AM

Waiting to maiden my (Corsiar (wind) with 7 cell kan 1050, but which lipo's would be a good up grade with stock motor keeping in mind that I would like to go brushless in the future.
thanks
Chris
Pictures to follow (painting after I make sure it will fly)
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 AM

I think that the TP 2s 2100 mah lipos would be perfect for this plane with the stock motor. Some people do run a 3s lipo, but that is alot of voltage for the stock brushed motor and you run the risk of burning it up. However, If you want to go brushless later, then a 3s lipo would be ideal.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the direction with the batteries, I was out this am with no wind before work. Seems that it needed full throttle to stay in the air. 7 cells should be enough(?), but they were charged 2 weeks ago and in the car waiting for these conditions. Perhaps the cells were alittle low. I expected to be able to back off alittle. But it did look awesome in the air.
My landings need some work (plane is now in 2 pieces) nothing a llittle glue won't fix.
Anyhow will this plane fly ok on these cells or should I take the plunge to lipo, will it make that much diffence? Won't be going brushless for awhile and am considering an aeileron trainer now that I have had this up in the air. SS to Corsair may be more than my thumbs can handle at this point.
Chris
Old 05-01-2004, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

an 8th cell usually makes a huge difference
Old 05-02-2004, 06:31 PM

I finally had 2 successful flights with my Corsair. Finally got a good balance with some putty in the nose. I think part of the problem I was having was with the aileron rods hitting the fuselage where the wing bolts on. I clipped some of the foam away on eiher side of the nut plate, and realized a considerable difference in the aileron throw. However, the nut plate has probably been weakened because of that. I have coated it in epoxy.

I did have one flight where the plane simply fell into an unrecoverable dive again, but I think it may have been due to a glitching somewhere.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi Guys,
I just bought a GWS F-4U Corsair yesterday and hope to have it flying before I leave on my next trip on Friday. I plan on doing the 2 servo aileron version and I'm fairly certain that I will try to hang some flaps on it as well. Has anyone tried this? I know I'm looking at some extra weight with another micro servo, but if rig it with a piano wire torsion tube system it shouldn't add too much. All of you mention that she cruises fast as it I'm sure that it needs lots of airspeed like the real bird. I figure it would be fun to hang out some retractable gear and flaps for landings (extending as the flaps go through the 3/4 position).
Comments and or suggestions very welcome!
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 PM

I have got the Corsair back together and have taken the plunge for a 3 cell TP 1320. What prop would work to prolong the life of the stock 350? I have the cells right up front and cg seems ok. Will test fly tomorrow morning with ep1060 prop.
thanks
Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.