Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

RayRay,
Hinges are probably carried at LHS, but if not Tower carries them, Dubro #LXD941, 15 for $4.00. I use 4 per side. Slot the wings and ailerons and epoxy them in. Just watch if you get too close to control horn, you may have to trim one to fit. I've never used tape, have not run into any quirks, and I'm leaving aprox 1/8" gap.

Sticks,
Congrats on Cub, did you ever find out about the light weight one?

Grounded,
I am in the presence of greatness, what a fleet.
Just a note, I don't know if you have the 27 or 35 mgh Tx for your Mustang. But seeing posts on Tx failures on the 27 now. No wonder "Frankie" keeps trying to pop the canopy and bail out.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 PM

GG, I finally found out! He bought his from EBay and what they sold him was not what they advertised! He likes it anyway and doesn't think he got ripped! So, it seems I am still the only one on these web sites, so far, who is flying one! I am stumped at how many different weights you can put on the nose and it still indicate "balanced at the CG"!

I finally put enough on the nose for the plane to start tipping down a couple degrees and now IT FLIES! IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE! And, boy does it fly! With the power setup I am using it seems to be flying faster than my stryker!!!! I simply could not land it at my private flying field! It needs lots of good runway for landing as it likes to land hot!!!! All I could do was trap it in a clump of weeds and let it flip over! Just minor damage!

I have some pretty good shots on video, but like before, I will have to wait until I go to my son's home so he can put it on a cd for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Hey Rog,

Glad to hear that you got the Cub flying. I just knew that once you got her CG straightened out she would fly like a bird. Can't wait to see some video.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:13 AM
My Feedback: (3)

hey guys, IMPORTANT BEER NEWS. i just foung out that the local cheese and wine shop (run by a really nice guy called Abe) has English bitter beer from Kent, - bitter from the Kentish countryside is probably the best ale in England. this is better than the Manchester beer i discovered a few weeks back. i can't tell you how excited and happy i am !! only had enough for one bottle, which i'm drinking now, but i'm going back later to buy his entire stock. this beer is the best in the world for an Englishman !! the only thing is, it's like red wine, you drink it at room temp and he's got it in the fridge - have to sort that out !!

zagi notes, i noticed my himax outrunner has a screw on to the side stick mounting bracket and i've just ordered another one as i think these motors will be more secure. got some gws 300 sized gearbox frames, which i was thinking of using for the esskey motors, but they are too weak for pusher motor mounts. i ordered some wooden stick motor mounts that would probably be ok for the esskey motors, but i'll see how strong they'll be when they get here as they are balsa.

just bought this plane - it's great and $180 including a long can brushless motor (480 ?) and 20 amp esc. shipping to me is $21, but they don't ship planes outside of japan. http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3296
Old 06-21-2005, 04:54 AM

Grounded,

Nice plane you bought, I have been watching it myself, but decided to wait. You said they don't ship outside Japan, but I think they do. Not for the $ 2.50 the ship parts for, but at rates that are needed for EMS shipping.

I had 2 nice flights yesterday evening. I found my Aiptek cam and put in under the wing and a washer on the other wing to balance it. Some pictures turned out ok, but most were not. Will give it another try tomorrow. The 2nd flight was more for altitude.. it was to dark to take any good looking pictures.

Where do you have the CofG on your AB? Mine seems to be just behind the spar at the moment. Seems to be me it should go a little in front of it, am I right?

jd
Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 AM

Sticks,
Think airbrakes. Hmmmmm
My Pz S/C Cub, is the exact opposite she doesn't want to land, thinks she's a glider.
She'll hang in the air and just plop on the ground, one smalll bounce and stops.
Tried working out "bounce and go" vs the traditional touch and go. Usually ends up catching gear and nosing in.LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 AM

BJ,

Thanks for the reply regarding the Dubro hinges. Started my first day of summer at the field flying the Stryker. [sm=sunsmiley.gif] Five "brill" flights under the sunrise without wind (not that I mind the wind).

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the warping on the Accipiter Badius straight wings?

Thanks,

Tailwind

P.S. 12hrs 12mins till sunset - the longest day of the year!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 AM

hi Jandirk, the badius c of g should be around the wing spar, 51.5cm from the last screw holding the tail on. i don't have the measurement from the leading edge of the wing. i hope you can get planes from aircraft, but i heard the import tax in Holland is expensive. i buy most of my planes from the US and rarely pay much tax.

by the way, the English beer is called 'spitfire', so IT IS rc related after all !!!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Jandirk, I run the Badius with the CG just in front of the spar. The Badius likes to be a little nose heavy to fly well.
Doug. Congrats on finding English flying beer. All this time I've been thinking you were a little nuts buying all these planes but that Hyperion is a beauty. Wouldn't mind having that one myself.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 AM

RayRay,
If they are like the stryker, little heat, twist past where they need to go, hold till cool.
Some times takes a couple of shots to get it there.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Grounded,
SPECIAL BULLETIN!!!!!
Check your Mustang, newest fault to show up. PZ in their infinit wisdom placed the RX right over the 2 screws that hold the wing on. Yep, if you tighten the screws to tight they go right into the RX and short it out.
Just another fun tip to add to the "fix it before you fly it" list.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Sticks

Congrats on getting the CG straightened out, can't wait to see the video

Hazy

Watch it those Slow Stick are addictive, How's things.

PAPPY

jandirks

I have attached a few photos I took using my Aiptek 1.3 cam, the AB did a really good job ( because it floats ssoo well)

Doug

it's funny I never did an inventory of my hanger, then you post this, well here is my count

Cox, 1 ch Sky Ranger ( this is the $29 plane that got me back into the hobby exactly 1 year ago)
Cox Sky Cruiser ( same as above)
Raidentech. Patel ( 2 motor, 2 prop vector thrust steering)
Hobby Co, SkyZap ( vector thrust too)
Badius #1, totaled
Badius #2, Stock biplane ( awaiting ailerons )
Badius #3, A 42 inch WS annorexic glider, awaiting a Slow Stick to pull her up
Formosa #1, awaiting the 4th of July party so I can stick sparklers in her ( sparklers in a foam plane )
Formosa #2, flying Strong and hard ( the only plane in the hanger I have not crashed)
Slow Stick #1, given to my Wife, she hasn't killed it YET
Slow Stick #2, flying strong and hard, and taking pictures ( for money )
E-Flight Ultimate, retired ( I don't like 3D), given to Kyle
GWS A 10, what a DOG, this too will die in flaming glory over the 4th
GWS Corsair, GREAT plane, I love it, great to video as well, I have had this plane for 8 months, and only crashed once, this is the Randy plane
AK P-51 Mustang, died an untimely death ( awaiting Howard to repair)
Mountain Models Magpie AP, another plane that takes pictures and makes me money.
And last ( as of this date) GWS Spitfire, Jury still out on this one, may see some action on the 4th Hee Hee Hee

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49374.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	287989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70138.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	287990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57956.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	287991  
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 PM

well i did it , maidened the glow plane. wind was not too bad. flew the f27 first as usual to get the feel of things. overshot the runway and landed in a tree. then the glow plane. half an hour of starting later, due to hydraulic locks due to petrol (of course, maiden flight !!), finally got it going. the dirt patch of the runway is about 20' long, the rest is tallish grass. anyway, there was just enough dirt for lift off. flew about 8 circuits, then decided the fuel might be low, closed the throttle and the motor died. commited to land, anyway high on the approach and looks like i'm going to overshoot the runway so i did a 180 (wind was crosswind anyway) and it suddenly nosedived towards the ground. not enough control response to do anything so low and i thought here we go. anyway, luckily it hit a tree, a relatively soft landing. made a big dent in one side of the wing, will fix it tomorrow. fus ok. pretty lucky really. although the motor is a 2-stroke, it sounds just like a real plane in the sky. fantastic !!

Name:	Ay73661.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	288107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72255.jpg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	288108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62481.jpg
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	288109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39066.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	288110  
Old 06-21-2005, 11:42 PM

Hey GG, good point! I do have flaperons which I haven't tried yet. To be honest, I forgot about them! The ailerons are so thin that I don't know how much lift I will get from them as flaps. I have been so involved in getting it to fly that I have stayed away from them, fearing I would lose more control. It's made two great flights and I forgot to test the flaps while I had altitude and didn't think of them on the two landings, either! Flaperons are on the flight checklist for flight #3.

This is the heaviest plane that I have flown to date. That makes a difference, too. It is amazingly FAST at wot! The wind had no effect on it on these two flights! It would shoot back over us at a high rate of speed UP WIND! It looks errily real off in the distance! Gets out there quick, too! I am going to take it to the club field for the next flight to learn just what I have to do to land it in one piece! The Clod Hopper is almost as heavy, but has a greater wing area and lands slower.

I had no problem setting up to land. There just wasn't a smooth space long enough to set it down on. And, the thing may have been too nose heavy on these landings! I didn't have a clue how much I needed and went to the hilt! I have removed one ounce of weight and hope it still flies ok. We will know soon!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 AM

Hey Sticks,
Nice going with the Cubberoo.

I just got chewed out by wifey for not flying the Omei. I told her it's past her bwedtime but that didn't work. She told me I needed to join a club so I could fly the darned thing. I severely editted what she really said. Lets just say that she said since I have so much money invested (?) in planes that I have to fly them. I told her that these clubs cost bucks and then she laughed at me. Darn it. I hate it when that happens. So now I have to join the AMA and then the club. Only good part is that I get to join the club. We'll see how that goes when Hazy comes with me.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM

just been checking for stuff about the zagi xt twin as i'm undecided about the motors to fit - wether to use stock or go brushless. i don't think the brushless motors i've got (esskey or himax 28 series outrunner) will do justice as they are relatively slow revving torquey motors. this morning i'm leaning towards using the stock motors. however i read a thread about 130mph wings and i WANT ONE !! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...ey_zagi/tm.htm
Old 06-22-2005, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Well if the rain breaks (afternoon storms) long enough I'm going to see if I can maiden my SS tonight. These will just be short flights to see if I get it airborne. I'm going to a smaller but closer field than I usually do since it is getting late here.

Later
Old 06-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Back now from the SS maiden...

I did the pre flight check and taxied a few times. Then I did my first ground take off, 12 seconds later, I hit a lamp pole and broke the prop. The first mistake of the evening I made was not loading any spares in the van... so th e SS was done for the evening.

I flew the -BAB but was not comfortable flying it at this small field so I landed and left after four or five minutes.

I don't think it was very smart on my part to maiden a new plane in an unfamiliar field that actually has quite a few obstacles.

I'll try again in a day or two.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 PM

Here is my my hanger - Flying since March,05

Megatech - Wright Flyer, (2 motor, 2 prop vector thrust steering) Totaled it, Got me wanting to fly.
SD-Badius #1 - Stock , currently grounded, Parted out.
SD-Badius #2 - Brushless, MM 400T, BP18A ESC, 1350 mAh Lipo, Very Nice Flyer!![sm=thumbup.gif]
SD- J 3 Cub - Currently grounded, Upgrading to Brushless, MM Esskey 400XT, BP18A ESC, 1350 mAh Lipo.
GWS - Slow Stick w/350 motor & currently 1100mAh Nimh. Close to earning the nick name "Killer"[sm=punching.gif]

Question for my Badius Buds!

Now that I've upgraded to a brushless setup I'm having this problem. I trim my AB for level flight at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. But when I go to WOT, my AB goes nose up and climes. I have to down stick it for level flight... What causes this and what adjustment do I need to be making?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:09 PM

Hey Grounded,

I’ve got two of the Esskeys motors too. I’m going to try to mount one in my Cub by modifying the stock motor mount if possible. This is a bit of a challenge but I’m going to give it a try. If I can’t pull that off I will look to see if an after market motor mount can be used.

This link has the LRC-103 for $10.95 and LRC-114 for $2.20
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...ies+%2D+MOUNTS

These mounts also caught my eye. Look at AXI 2200 Series / Hacker A-20 Stick Mount
http://www.topcreationsrc.com/

This link has a big selection of Aluminum Electric Motor mounts.
http://www.espritmodel.com/

Look them over and let me know what you think, ok

Name:	Ec89354.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	288607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67842.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	288608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24966.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	288609  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM

i have this problem with many planes it's due to the power being applied. i always anticipate full power by lowering the nose simultaneously and then putting in nose down elevator trim until the plane is in the climbing attitude, ie the correct position of the nose relative to the horizontal for a stable climb. hope this makes sence. it's even worse with a 2m glider, exactly the same thing. ps be careful with the motor max in the badius - i had the front of the fus break and the motor pulled out halfway thru the front, stripping the motor wire's insulation and causing a short. i've recently put it back in a new badius fus, but cut a hole in the side of the fus and pulled the motor wires out clear of the outrunner and put a cable tie around the fuse to keep the wires out. happy flying !!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 PM

hey Carlf, i'm not sure what i'm going to use the esskeys for right now, i was going to use them in the zagi xt twin pusher, but i've gone with the stock brushed motors for now. i bought 2xhttp://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3280 wooden mounts and should get them on saturday, so i'll see what they're like. the links to the mounts you've posted are good, probably metal mounts are better. i'm going to use one in a gws plane.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Hey Hollywood,

I got the disc with your video today and I'm watching the first in flights now. This is cool and I may have to give it a try myself down the road a bit.

I'm sending it out to the first 2 who request it. Send me a PM with your address.

As always, Thanks Doc, Howard and Kyle for bringing it to us.

EDIT:

GREAT FOOTAGE!!!

Again guys this is very cool. I like the dual camera footage. You get 2 views of Howards landing and then crashing.

Kyle, What is powering your Tribute? You'll do good with that plane. You just need a little more practice.

The Jenny and Magister are smooth flyers. They look like they are great trainers.

Doc, You were having such a good flight with the Spitfire too! That Corsair Cockpit Vid.....One of a Kind! I'm still seeing orange streaks Nice flight.

AND 1ST PRISE GOES TO....... well, I won't spoil it for the rest of you.. BUT GET THE DISC IT'S AWESOME!!!!

Thanks again

2nd EDIT

My 1st copy is going to CaptianRandy, He can send out 2 copies as soon as he gets it from me.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM

Hey Carl

I'm guessing you liked the Formosa .

Did you see how Howard covered his face as he smacked in to the Kia, it was a classic.

Anyways, thanks for the positive feed back, I'm glad you enjoyed it

Brent
Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Doc, You are correct! Yeah, Howard is a quick learner.... now he heads straight for the tall grass. He did have a smooth landing going until that happened.

You must have had the lipo charger running, I noticed the hood up too. I like the cutoffs, they are working great!

That Formosa is an impressive little rig. Kudos to you and your flying skills....not bad, not bad at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.