Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hey AJ
....what a marriage....think Kens Mt. Dew may have to take a backseat to this one.
......so this is an A/E machine, didn't realize that....but looks like you got the power now......will be interesting to see how he flys......I just don't want to be standing to close at lift off.....in case Franks body parts start detaching!!!...just be sure no innocent bystanders
.......think he needs a chalk white paint job with a few stitches and a pin through the fuse.....just for the final touch....
.....then maybe you and GG can get together with his coffin, and do a little formation flying....... long about Halloween!!!

........But AJ...it sure looks like you having fun at both ends of this game......right on....

.......As for me I'm starting to think a PV-2 Neptune, is about what I need out here...., we had a blow yesterday that caused power surge and knocked my computer down, thought it was fried, couldn't get it to restart.....finally unplugged it, and back in, and got it up again, geez thought it was cold turkey for sure.......

.......If you decide to go WalMart Bird got a website for you, this guy's done some preety neat things with those gliders.....probably loose you here so will go ahead and post this and send the link for Aceism or the like in next post.....
Soon!!! Jim

Old 01-29-2006, 08:27 PM

AJ nice frankinplane hope it flies

well finally finished the formosa i have not been able to fly yet my boys have been sick for the last few days and i have been real busy at work hopefully i will get to fly tommorow. here is a picture of the formosa i kept it simple my boys wanted to paint it. but i figure i am going to more than once before i get down pack. wish me luck

Has anybody seen or from rayray I think he is grounded again by captain wifey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93765.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	398055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22383.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	398056  
Old 01-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Ken, The leading edge of the front mount on my Slow Stick is 5 inches from the front of the stick. I put the ESC up front between the motor and the wing and the battery right behind the landing gear. There is plently of room to slide things back and forth to balance.

I have never had trouble with the stock control horns. The only weak part for me was the little aluminum tubes joining the glass rods. I folded mine pulling loops. Really decreased lift! I replaced them with the same diameter brass. Extremely strong and stiff. I still have a piece. PM me if you'd like me to mail it to you.

AJ, I second Brent's suggestion about the wal-mart glider. Big foam gliders will fly well with little power. The ducted fans should be enough and would look great.

-Andy
Old 01-29-2006, 08:37 PM

Ok AJ
.....check this guy out http://www.acesim.com/rc/
.....looking at his stuff is what lead me here looking for more info,....... but getting creative as you are... lots of food for thought coming from this guy.....and some pretty neat scratch designs and all pretty low budget........those cheap WalMarts definitely have some potential
So enjoy and catch ya Later Jim

Hey RAY........ like the finish on the 16, had to look close at the pics to figure the real McCoy, .....dont remember the exhaust tube, is that a final touch or did I just miss it first time out........just don't let AJ get ahold of it........Later Jim

and AJ again....the Nacells
.......my guess they mostly for realism and just something to hang the EDFs in, and they may reduce the external drag slightly but at these speeds wouldn't think too critical,....... if they were really recessed like in a long fuse then you might get more thrust but probably a trade-off.....and I wouldn't sweat it,......if was me I'd use them, but if just in the way chuck 'em....

and for a WalMart mod you could stick them back towards the tail, but then have to balance them out, so I'd try to hang off the wing............ or with low wing on top up against the fuse like those early jets....... to give them some protection.....go for it you only live once, have fun........later Jim
Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 PM

Andy, threw me off for a minute. I forgot that there's another Ken here now. I'll just have to remember to respond to blisters, or that if it doesn't make sense to me, then it must be the other Ken. I couldn't figure out why you were tellin me about slow stick stuff since I don't have one.

Ice, Whatcha think of the formosa so far? Pretty easy to build? I thought you already buiilt it,, or did you get two of them? I see you got the one with the landing gear. I didn't get that version. It would have just been something else for me to tear off the plane in my crashes anyhow. Looks like yours came with the standard stickers. I think mine is actually the 3D version, that's what the sticker set was for mine. I'm gonna put a few more crashes into mine & then get a new slope glider version again. Is yours the slope version, or was it the full kit with motor? I have a feeling that if you can fly the stryker as well as you do, you should have no problem with the formosa. I didn't hook mine up with the rudder, just flying with ailerons and elevator. If I get a new one I might add the rudder so I can do knife edge passes. I was suprised that I could get mine to do hammerheads without the rudder, but it does them.

Sticks,, youmean franken birdie wins out over my Mt Dew plane? Yeah, especially if it flies for him, mine would only turn to the left. Gimme a few more days I'll think of something crazy. [>:]

Name:	Ca82402.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	398071  
Old 01-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Nice Homebuilt Ken
...........sound like lotsa power, only 20 mph, go for it.....though probably shoulda built two fuses if you that wild...but once you get dialed in I bet that one will handle it............and yeah might want to move that ESC....not up... just Back!!!
......So tell me about this Lemer spray adhesive....never heard of it....pretty strong and does it take to coroplast......is that the brand name???.....be interested in a nice spray on.......been thinking a Mugi with corplast bottom and foam on top, just build up the foam or find a cheap wing core....maybe a walmart foam for the top camber, with a coroplast bottom for the tough part...... might save a lot of cutting and bending and some weight all in one shot.....if the Lemers takes to coroplast too could go pretty quick.....

and check out that site I just posted to AJ lots of ideas there... later Jim
Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

IceJay, Formosa looks good. Have you practiced in the flight simulator? I have the Formosa Model for FMS if you want it! Can't wait to see how you do! Good Luck!

KCT, (a.k.a. Ken)
Welcome to Badius Land!!!
My SS is also set at 5 inches back from the motor to the leading edge. I don't think you will ever find exact measurements for locating the components. Each SS is different based on the components used but the leading edge should fall 5 to 6 inches back. The measurement that matters is the CG as listed in the instructions..be sure and follow it!
Oh, do not shorten the control rods length and move the servos as far forward as possible!
BTW, Sticks flies a brushless SS and he uses the same Tx you have too! Here is a recent post the made about it… http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3837337

Blisters (a.k.a. Ken)
After seeing that….I wanta Yak!!! Ahhh!! …I feel better now!!! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Thanks!!!

AJ, Be sure to bring back the video cause we just won’t believe it!!! You can point the camera skyward for a few minutes and input some comedic commentary…we’ll be there laughing with you!!! …Really, Good Luck!

Jim, I liked the Halloween flight idea … [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Well I went to Wal-Mart and they didn't have any of the gliders, but I like the idea so I'm going to keep an eye out for one, I never got an answer on the EDF fans needing the nacells or not
I'm going to take Franky to work tomorrow if the weather looks good and try to maiding it, I will try to get vid. If it fly good I'm gonna need to call it something, suggestions, if the EDF would have worked I was gonna call it Ducked Beaver and fly it with my Beaver Fokker
Blisters, I am using the P-51 prop, basicaly it's the same power plant set up of the stock P-51 just on a top wing design of sorts, I figure if it flys good then I'm going to sand it down and repaint it, I never liked the red I put on the Beaver anyway, just didn't come out right, I'm thinking Red and Blue sceme somehow, dunno just want it to fly first, Oh yeah I don't think it tops the dew plane, Yak fuse looks good, that is the same foam I have used a few times, you may want to consider CF tubes and use more than a layer or 2 of packing tape, the stuff shatters inside and becomes mush when it hits the ground a couple times unless you have it wrapped very tight.
Ice, nice Formosa, shoulda let the boys get a hold of it
OK Vacations over so it's back to work tomorrow, off to bed now, wifeys waiting
Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 PM

Blisters, that wasn't me who said that! That was Jim (rcverse) who said it tops the Mt Dew. I would have to think about that one!

If ya'll will look at my gallery you will see one of those WalMart gliders that I converted two years ago. 55 inch wing span using a GWS 350 and gearbox. You can get them in the big, regular hobby chain, Hobby Lobby, not the RC one. They have several sizes.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Oh, and I have a video of that plane, too. I still haven't uploaded it to my web site. I will do that in a couple days. I have to print W2 forms for now.

Later
Old 01-29-2006, 10:25 PM

Carl,, very Punny. Hey did you try out some of those models for the FMS simulator? The AT-6 (texan) flies almost exactly the way my formosa does.

Jim,,, ,, at first I thought you were joking about the Lemers spray adhesive,, then I went back & checked,, my fingers went dislexic when I typed that. ELMERS spray adhesive. Not sure if it would be strong enough to hook up coroplast or not. The coroplast that I used for the firewall, I mounted with a little bit of 5 minute epoxy. ( i know Brent, I should use the GWS glue/contact adhesive, but I like fast dry stuff) Yeah, probably stuff the Esc into the foam a little more, or just take some foam board ( the kind for posters) and make a small cover for it.

Sticks,, oops,, my brain keeps getting you mixed up with carl and jim for some reason. a. left brain,, b. right brain,, c. no brain,, uhhhh i'll choose D
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 PM

ktaylor
this is my second formosa my first one after i built it i dicided to give it to my neighbors son because his christmas was not that great his parents lost there jobs 3 weeks before the holidays i felt bad for the youngster he always wanted his own plane and when his father was ready to buy him one thats when he lost his job. the can fly he has flown my stryker with no problem. the same day i gave him the formosa i took him and my boys to fly it he had no problems it was like he a natrual. but now its my turn. My second one came with a brushed motor but i did not use it i put a brushless motor by fiago that balsapr sells it came with gearbox and with brushless setup i can my lipos. i will see how i do tommorow

Name:	Yw68295.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	398201  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:45 PM

icejay55

the Brushless motor from BP may NOT have enough power.

I have the exact motor on my Slow Stick, and it is a little under powered.

I also used that motor on my Spitfire, it was OK but nothing great, also the Spitfire came in at around 14 oz.

That motor is ONLY good up to about 5 amps, I would suggest to go with the GWS 350 motor rather than that one.

Hope it helps

Brent
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 AM
My Feedback: (3)

put the control surfaces on my 3d adrenaline today and they are HUGE. i had this with my 3d trick 800 (the bumblebee) last year but the rudder doesn't work on that and i have to use my 5ch hitec computer radio to reduce the throws on the ailerons to 25% as it simply rolled over and crashed when i first flew it. also, the bumblebee's got a pretty feeble axi motor but i just fly it for fun, a bit like my version of the slowstick. the adrenaline is going to have a hacker motor in and should rock - 3d at last. i'll maybe have to use a computer radio with it, i'll see how the throws are when i put the servos on. looks like a fun plane. been hanging around for a while, so i'll hopefully finish it this week.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cadetman

If you need quick feedback concerning your F16 send me a model and i will give you feed back in about two days, and return it afterwards. lots of time to give it attention and I'm in the Uk, fly with Mark Tillbury (Model World) could be a deal here possibly. e-mail me.

Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loubud

Not trying to start a war, but to try to clear the air, our disscussion was not about tying 1/2lb lead to an foamy and flying it, it was about the aerodynamics of does DRAG increase just because you increase WEIGHT, please understand that this was just an academic disscusion, hope this clears the air.

Remember, Every one is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong they are. (Winston Churchill)

Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM

That wasn't Lou. That was Hazy who made those comments. You have to take his stuff with a grain of salt! He is the luney who has been running all over the country bumming off everybody!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 AM

rcverse Jim

ORIGINAL: rcverse

Hey RAY........ like the finish on the 16, had to look close at the pics to figure the real McCoy, .....dont remember the exhaust tube, is that a final touch or did I just miss it first time out........just don't let AJ get ahold of it........Later Jim
there is a couple of sticky out parts that are not part of the build but are easily added by anyone if they wish to make it as close the original as poss,

i am hoping to offer the decals as an additon but they are Huge and i need a better material to work with,
having said that.. all those decals only added 50 grams [8D]

Ray
Old 01-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Hi Mike

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

cadetman

If you need quick feedback concerning your F16 send me a model and i will give you feed back in about two days, and return it afterwards. lots of time to give it attention and I'm in the Uk, fly with Mark Tillbury (Model World) could be a deal here possibly. e-mail me.

Mike
i am meeting Nigel Hawes from RCM&E tomorrow so he can do the photo shoot and its gonna be in the Mag ASAP !,
i agreed that they would have full rights to promote the F16 kit in thier magazine with the exception of 2 alpha builders who can post pics and write about it on the net etc,
after all they are doing a 3 page colour on the F16 for free [8D]

i am very interested in a deal, but i want the F16 to be Perfect before it goes on general sale,
the U.K alpha builder is impressed but i Need Brads Feed back
Me thinks he is Locked away with the F16 building it in secret MmmmuUuHHhahHAhahAh !
sorry i dont know what came over me for a moment there !

i want to bridge the gap between the excellent cheap and cheerful 24-28 inch depron kits and a full 40 inch wingspan F16,

Cheers

Ray
Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Sticks

ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

That wasn't Lou. That was Hazy who made those comments. You have to take his stuff with a grain of salt! He is the luney who has been running all over the country bumming off everybody!
there is a Roumor a foot " U.K expression threat lol ) that Hazy is gonna go International [X(]

fortunatly i have alerted the airports with Pic of him.. emm her or whatever LOL

How is your stryker after the crunch in and repair?

when i get time i must go to your web page and download more vids as i learned so much from watchin them
if you never read my posts.. your help was much appreciated [8D]

Ray
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 PM

ok formosa flight report nice day 61 degrees no wind what so ever hand launch it but right away it went upside down and wanted to fly inverted it would roll to its left and fly inverted and then lawn dart what could it be or what am i doing wrong help anyone please [:@][&o]
Old 01-30-2006, 01:31 PM

icejay55

ORIGINAL: icejay55

ok formosa flight report nice day 61 degrees no wind what so ever hand launch it but right away it went upside down and wanted to fly inverted it would roll to its left and fly inverted and then lawn dart what could it be or what am i doing wrong help anyone please [:@][&o]

it sounds like a classic thrust line and torque problem

what exactly are you using to pull that baby along with?

it must be much bigger than a stock motor ! to make it roll like that !

Ray
Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM

OK I AM USING FIAGO BRUSHLESS IT SAYY ON THE MOTOR 2283 RPM MY PROP IS GWS EP-1147 WHAT EVER THAT MEANS COULD IT BE THE WIRING OF THE MOTOR OR ELEVON AND AIL SETUP OR SHOULD I USE A SMALLER PROP
Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 PM

icejay55

ORIGINAL: icejay55

OK I AM USING FIAGO BRUSHLESS IT SAYY ON THE MOTOR 2283 RPM MY PROP IS GWS EP-1147 WHAT EVER THAT MEANS COULD IT BE THE WIRING OF THE MOTOR OR ELEVON AND AIL SETUP OR SHOULD I USE A SMALLER PROP
i have never flown a formosa but thats one BIG prop running on a 2.2k rpm motor [X(]

forgive my confusion with terms but your using the "elevon" phrase,
if you have the elevon mixer switch turned to "ON" it will be almost impossible to fly,
please clarify if you have the Elevon Mix turned off [&:]

Ray
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM

I THINK ITS OFF BUT NOT SURE HOW CAN I TELL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.