Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Thanks Jim for the help on the batteries. After I read your post I looked at the connector on my battery and the one on my charger. Saw how the two fit together. Male and female...makes sense. You know how it is when something so obvious is right in front of you? One more question. How difficult is it to change the connectors, say if I want to put on Dean's or PowerPoles?

Thanks,
mark
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Okay - I was going to hold off on mods for a while... Just do the landing gear mod becasue the field isn't the smoothest (but then again, if I'd hit the runway it would be okay)... Anyways, here's what's happening...

I was flying the other day and the SC started to act really weird at about 250 ft AGL, it was not responding to my inputs it was more erratic (yes, transmit batteries were good/new not the ones that came with it). At that time I heard other people at the field and noticed something else in the air... Oops! Turns out the 'stock' radio for the SC is on 27.xxx Mhz (Ithink we all knew that). Mine is on 27.095 and I was concerned about the truck stop down the road and my freq being between their channel 12 and 13 (27.085 and 27.115) - Well... Turns out these other folks had purchased an AirHog or Estese plane for $29 at Target and it was on the same freq a my SC! My SC continues its circular climb. Their kids crashed their plane and I got them to turn their trassmitter off - Regained control of my SC, put her into a dive (too bad no ailersons or I could have slipped it in) - Recovered, packed up and went home! No damage

So - like I said, I've been putting off making changes while I learn to fly but now I'm serious entertaining putting a regular radio (most likely will jump to a Spektrum).. .but that means changing out the motor, speed control, and servos...

Is there a way to do this in stages? Can I install a Spektrum radio/rx and servos, use the stock motor w/ some other speed control?

Or is it more cost effective to jump to brushless?

What size servos to use for tail surfaces? (and AIlersons when I add them down the road)?

I think I read somewhere that the 'best' brushless was to go with EFlite 450 and Phoenix 25 - Is that correct? What's involved in mounting the motor? Where's the best place to buy?

Once I've gone to brushless, can the new ESC only handle Lipo's or can I still use my old NiMh? I've got both types of batteries and would hate to have wasted money getting the spare NiMh batteries for the SC.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Glad the kids were cooperative. No incident is a good thing....for you.

HS-55's are the way to go for all servo's inthe sc. They are cheap fast and light.

You can get a GWS esc for like 8 bucks that works great with the stock motor. I used one for about 3 months when I first switched up radio gear in mine. I had great results. I think it was the 480li. It was cheap functioned well.

The park 450 is by far the best option for it. I have detailed pics and write up on it in the SCC in the link I provided some time back. I will dig...here it is.
On second thought I will show you this guy's version since the one I first did was not all that great. I will take new pics of the new mount sometime and post them as well. Here is his link. http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1196960562

You can still use NiMh batteries but the performance will drop greatly. But they will work.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: balloonpilot1

Okay - I was going to hold off on mods for a while... Just do the landing gear mod becasue the field isn't the smoothest (but then again, if I'd hit the runway it would be okay)... Anyways, here's what's happening...

I was flying the other day and the SC started to act really weird at about 250 ft AGL, it was not responding to my inputs it was more erratic (yes, transmit batteries were good/new not the ones that came with it). At that time I heard other people at the field and noticed something else in the air... Oops! Turns out the 'stock' radio for the SC is on 27.xxx Mhz (Ithink we all knew that). Mine is on 27.095 and I was concerned about the truck stop down the road and my freq being between their channel 12 and 13 (27.085 and 27.115) - Well... Turns out these other folks had purchased an AirHog or Estese plane for $29 at Target and it was on the same freq a my SC! My SC continues its circular climb. Their kids crashed their plane and I got them to turn their trassmitter off - Regained control of my SC, put her into a dive (too bad no ailersons or I could have slipped it in) - Recovered, packed up and went home! No damage

So - like I said, I've been putting off making changes while I learn to fly but now I'm serious entertaining putting a regular radio (most likely will jump to a Spektrum).. .but that means changing out the motor, speed control, and servos...

Is there a way to do this in stages? Can I install a Spektrum radio/rx and servos, use the stock motor w/ some other speed control?

Or is it more cost effective to jump to brushless?

What size servos to use for tail surfaces? (and AIlersons when I add them down the road)?

I think I read somewhere that the 'best' brushless was to go with EFlite 450 and Phoenix 25 - Is that correct? What's involved in mounting the motor? Where's the best place to buy?

Once I've gone to brushless, can the new ESC only handle Lipo's or can I still use my old NiMh? I've got both types of batteries and would hate to have wasted money getting the spare NiMh batteries for the SC.

Thanks
If you get the dx6 or dx6i you will get tx,servo's and rx all you will need after that is a brushed speed controller. Later you can add a brushless motor but will then need a brushless esc. So to answer your question yes you can do it in stages. I got a electrifly 35 amp brushed s/c that will do NiMh or lipo's simply by pushing a button

Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM

So for BRUSHED ESC - Either the GWS 480i or an Electrify 35 and the Electrify can do either/both NiMh or Lipo...

When I do finally go brushless (EFlite 450 w/ Pheonix 25) - Can that setup also run NiMh or is it strickly LiPo ?

I think radio wise - I'm looking at the DX7.

The DX6 is (I'm told) a "park flyer" and DSM1 so it only talks to the smaller/park flyer receiver. The DX6i is 'full range' and will talk to all Spektrum receivers however after holding one in my hand for 20 minutes it feels cheap, bulky. The DX7 is full range and feels really nice in the hand.. Granted, we are now talking the diff of a $200 vs $350 radio.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: ParkFlyer7235

Great video! I am glad I am not the only one who flies in sub freezing weather. My wife thought I was crazy but trying to find a light wind day in the winter time is tough to do.
Thanks!

Of course we fly in sub freezing, right? What's the alternative, not flying??!!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Hey Pat -

Is this the GWS speed control your talking about: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZZ1&P=7

It looks to only be 15 Amps - is this enough?

Also not sure if Tower has their info correct - it says voltage cutoff is 4.2v - I'm assuming this is correct for LiPo (3s). Can this also be used for NiMh, if so wont it cut out too soon?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Thats the esc I used for a while. It works well. I always time my flights so a LVC is a secondary for me. I usually land with plenty left in my packs.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Pat -

Timing vs VLC - I've not much experience but I would guess that that the actual Low Voltage cut would be more accurate than time. I would think that after a number of flights a given pack would more quickly drop to the low voltage point which would throw off the timing (of when to land).

So 15Amps is enough for the "stock" motor and 10x7 (stock) prop?

Jim mentioned the Electrify 35 - Tower sells that for $40 compared to $15 for the GWS 15... IS there a point to getting the more expensive ESC? My view on this is to get something to work (and last) if I spend too much $$$ on the ESC, I might as well go all the way and go brushless. So if I can get a $15 ESC to work and last me a long time (how long do they last) then thats what I'll do.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM

Pat -

Timing vs VLC - I've not much experience but I would guess that that the actual Low Voltage cut would be more accurate than time. I would think that after a number of flights a given pack would more quickly drop to the low voltage point which would throw off the timing (of when to land).

So 15Amps is enough for the "stock" motor and 10x7 (stock) prop?

Jim mentioned the Electrify 35 - Tower sells that for $40 compared to $15 for the GWS 15... IS there a point to getting the more expensive ESC? My view on this is to get something to work (and last) if I spend too much $$$ on the ESC, I might as well go all the way and go brushless. So if I can get a $15 ESC to work and last me a long time (how long do they last) then thats what I'll do.

Thanks
In thinking down the road you may want to install ailerons. Not all esc's will allow added servo's with larger batteries. I know that the elecrifly I use can handle them but have not researched the gsw. I'm not trying to sell anything , just tring to point out some things to consider. My first esc was a c/c 25 amp that did fine until I added ailerons and then fried from the extra load.
As Kevin would say "my smoke got out"
Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Not flying is not an option...... Although today I had to quit because the winds kicked up to 12 mph. I am still new and landing the SC was just a little tough in those conditions. But at least it was a sunny 36 deg F outside.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Jim - Good point...

I wasnt thinking about the BEC portion of the ESC. While the 15 amps might be enough to run the motor, the "BEC" rating of the cheaper ESC might not be high enough if I've got more than 2 servos.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM

balloon....not sure if you realize it but I mentioned the GWS. I ran it with 4 servo's and stock motor and lipo for 3+ months without any issues.

Also I have run the CC esc, a few of the electrifly's and 5 or so off brands. The GWS was best bang for buck at 12 bucks on the bay.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Balloonpilot: I was also looking for the DX6i and ended up getting the DX7 instead. Way better quality and a few more options. It is not that bad considering the DX7 micro kit includes 3 quality digital micro servos (value of $100). The difference between the DX6i and DX7 TX/RX only is $60 then. Well worth it.

I also ordered from Hobbycity.com (based in China) some TowerPro ESC/brushelss motor combos for $15.95 (motor 5410-09/esc 18A). They are a very good deal for the price. You don't need to pay $100 for a brushless set-up in a foam parkflyer. Some people on this board are using this motor on many planes with great success. Even comes with a 9X6 prop at this price

A good radio is an investment that will last. Spend more on the radio and save on the esc/motor for the SC. That $15.95 combo is good enough for the SC in my opinion.

Note that Hobbycity is closed until Feb.15 because of the Chineese New Year.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Pat -

So you used the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZZ1&P=7
ESC with brushed motor and 4 HS-55 servos' w/o killing it?

BeavenX5 - I'll check into HobbyCity, I agree I dont wantt o put too much $$$ into a ParkFlyer/Trainer but I also dont want to be replacing motors/esc every 6 flights... $15 sounds almost too good to be true! To be able to get the motor and speed controler for that price? How long does it last? Any idea how it performs compared to EFlite 450?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Hey there Balloon.

I've been usin the Hobbycity parts on all my planes (3) except the SC; it's all original if ya don't count the glue, tape, toothpicks, grass stains, couple dozen props, tail feathers, wheels.....
Anyway, I have been very happy so far with the motors, servos, esc's and other stuff I've purchased from them. I admit I have only a dozen or so flights on their equipment as I'm a whimp and can't stand to get my pinkys cold. You sure can't beat their prices. While it does take 2-3 weeks for delivery, that don't bother me; I've spent a lifetime learnin patience... got it down cold !
Specifically I have this el cheapo Towerpro combo on my "STIK" http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4852. It works great; smooth, quiet and power to go vertical till my knees get shaky. You can watch a vid of the maiden here if ya like home movies http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search. I'm also usin their Loong Max LIPO's, at $12 to $15 apiece they are a real bargain. JUST KEEP IN MIND this caveat, I havn't run any of their stuff long term yet, so durability/ longevity is still a ??

GO SUPER CUB !
M
Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

The DX7 is full range and feels really nice in the hand.. Granted, we are now talking the diff of a $200 vs $350 radio.
Baloonpilot

I have had a DX7 for about 6 months and really enjoy it. There have been some bad write ups on the AR6100 RX that come with them, even the upgraded V1.2's, so I use that RX with my Heli which never gets more than 30-40' from me since I'm still not great at hovering and AR6000's for my planes.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: balloonpilot1

Pat -

So you used the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZZ1&P=7
ESC with brushed motor and 4 HS-55 servos' w/o killing it?

OK maybe you think my name is Pat? Or am I stepping in where someone else was helping?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM

Well had my 2nd sortie yesterday...not so good at all. 2 props broken, wing struts broken.

Plane didnt seem to climb that well but I am going to journey out again today and give her a try. Any tips for take offs? I have been *****g the throttle and then just pulling full down on the stick. Wrong way to gain height?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM

I hand launch mine..But from the ground if your doing full elev..you probably are stalling it..Let it climb slowly
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

I actually had to hand launch her yesterday as the ground was beat up. I will try a nice steady climb out and see how that goes! Cheers!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Super Cub Tail Wheel... Okay I'm in the middle of doing a partial landing gear mod, partial because I'm stepping up the wheel sizes for now and will add the Mini XT (?) gear later.

My question is - I know that the nut size for the main is 4-40 but what about the tail wheel? What size nut is that small thing? I'd hate to have to buy the entire tailwheel hardware pack from ParkZone just to replace the small plastic nut

THanks
Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Callum81

Well had my 2nd sortie yesterday...not so good at all. 2 props broken, wing struts broken.

Plane didnt seem to climb that well but I am going to journey out again today and give her a try. Any tips for take offs? I have been *****g the throttle and then just pulling full down on the stick. Wrong way to gain height?
first !!! dont use ACT for take off ! second full down stick will make she enter to a stall use onle half way on stick or hit full elevator but for 1 second then she climb by itself at full thrutle. if you have enough runaway plane will takeoff without any elevator input.

hope you do it better next time!!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 PM

need a litkle help here. mi neigbore got 3 new fuselage for make some cool cubs he start the first one a low wing the fuselage is cut to fit the wing now we both are figuring how put electronic. he want to put the plastic box upside down in top were wing was original placed, using original battery cover, everithing like stock but upside down opening battery box from top. I tell him that maybe CG is going to bu to high and the plane will not have aileron so will be harder to maintain plane in the air level. I told him cut the wing and put box down!!

what you think guys? any photo of a low wing cub with box on bottom?

PD. the next one will be the Bi-cub, and the Super Stick CUB is finished waiting for a new motor to arrive!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Super Cub Tail Wheel... Okay I'm in the middle of doing a partial landing gear mod, partial because I'm stepping up the wheel sizes for now and will add the Mini XT (?) gear later.

My question is - I know that the nut size for the main is 4-40 but what about the tail wheel? What size nut is that small thing? I'd hate to have to buy the entire tailwheel hardware pack from ParkZone just to replace the small plastic nut

THanks
I just went digging through my junk box because I knew I bought some awhile back but havent used them yet. When I put on this wheel http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...er=100MW/101.0
it stays on without a nut.
heres the nut from du-bro
http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=868/101.0

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.