Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Esc

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esc

Can Someone Explain What Determines What size Esc To Use,I'll Basically Be Flying Backyard And Park Flyers.From What I Read It Seems That The bigger The Motor Is The Bigger The Esc Is. Is There Some Sort Of Formula To Use? Any Help Would Be Great.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Esc

Check the stat sheet that comes with the motor. You're looking for "continuous Amps". That'll tell you the Amp draw for the motor. If it says 20 continuous amps, I'd use a 25 or 35 Amp ESC. You want an extra margin. Your Amp draw depends on a lot of things, prop size being the most important. If you're just starting out, follow the recommendations of the motor stat sheet or the kit recommendations.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:43 PM

If you're actually looking for a motor/ESC combination go to Heads Up RC and check out his combos. Read the accompanying write-ups on each motor/combo page. That will probably answer a lot of your questions about motors, ESCs, and props.

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Here is my experience:

F27_C Stryker
Had fun with the stock motor, but changed over to a 40amp E-flight ESC and a Six series brushless. I used the original prop. It flew much faster but I always ruined the Thunder Power batteries. I tried many variations of the 11.1V batteries with the same result. My assumption is that the stock prop has too much pitch and this is causing the current to run too high - for this setup.

Aerobird 3/challenger
Used the same E-flight SIX series 480 size motor and 40 amp E-flight ESC. Stock electronics with my EZ-ESC brush to brushless converter. Perfect setup with the stock prop - drilled out the center to pressure fit on the brushless motor shaft. Performance is wonderful with the stock batteries. Run two 7.4V LIPOs for longer flight times. I changed out the prop with more pitch and I ended up melting the cover off of the ESC, although it survived.

Parkzone P51 - Mustang
Put the F27-C brushless motor in this one. Same deal with the EZ-ESC - stock electronics. Flies great with this setup.

Aerobird XTREME
Ran the 540 size brushless motor from AMMO. I believe it was a 28-45-2700 with a castle creations 80 amp ESC. Works fine with most prop sizes using different adapters. Motor shaft is 5mm so you need to find the correct prop adapter to work. Best to cut 7" diameter props down to 6 1/2" and balance them prior to flight. Try different prop pitches to see what works.

Summary
Castle Creations are the best ESCs I have used. Highly programmable and typically have current limiters to prevent ESC and motor burn up. The e-flight 25 and 40 amp ones I used do not have current limiters in them. The Castle Creations cost more but are worth the extra money. Plane weight, prop diameter, and prop pitch affect the current draw on the motor significantly. In general, a higher pitch prop or a larger prop increases the current draw on a system. A power meter will help as longs as you remember that current draw on a stationary plane (on the bench in the lab) is much higher that it would be if it were in the air. So do burst tests and try different props to compare and contrast.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

JC