Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Elecrtifly Corsair by Great Planes #2 project >

Elecrtifly Corsair by Great Planes #2 project

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Elecrtifly Corsair by Great Planes #2 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elecrtifly Corsair by Great Planes #2 project

I purchased my second EF Corsair....this time learning from the first, I put in a few mods. It's still not the greatest kit as far as simplicity and I encountered the same aileron problems as before. The music wire pushrods stink, and the servo horn connector for the wires stink. I used a DuBro connector and replaced the music wire with a larger diameter guitar string...the combo works well, every thing is tight and the throw on the ailerons are great. This plane only uses ailerons and elevator, and it's a belly flopper park flyer. The stock 280BB motor is JUNK....just like the 370 BB motor that comes with the HB King v2 electric heli, so I didn't even use it. I installed a 3100kv brushless with a 25a ESC and 10T pinion on the gearbox, no mods were needed. I'll be running a short heli 1500mAh 15C battery in this unit. Got it built and test ran the power plant. The plane will hang static off the propeller (10-7 EP) at 40% throttle. At 50% throttle...a steady climb straight up...I'm impressed because the 280 wouldn't support the weight of the plane from it's propeller. I think she's a TAD over powered now. I won't be able to test fly till the weather gets a little better but I'm very confident this is gonna be a aerobatic screamer. Radio system is DX6 with AR6000 that is shared by two King v2 heli's. I believe this will be an awsome electric and if it works out....I'll get the EF Hell Cat and do the same to it......stay tuned
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13742.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	839933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81567.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	839934  
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Default RE: Elecrtifly Corsair by Great Planes #2 project

oops....D-Post.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 PM

Hey Crash funny finding you here. Plane looks great. Finished the build on my xpd-8 today now all that is left is a trip with a trashbag to the field as soon as I get some good crashing weather that is.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

Hey Crash funny finding you here. Plane looks great. Finished the build on my xpd-8 today now all that is left is a trip with a trashbag to the field as soon as I get some good crashing weather that is.
LMAO...we all come from planks right? Now I gotta find out WHAT an xpd-8 is. I owned this corsair before and it flew great...while it lasted. Shortcommings in engineering took it out (flight control failure). I fixed those problems as well as improved the powertrain....ought to be a screamer. I think I got it powered enough to rip the wings off if I ain't careful (LOL).

XPD-8...got it. Didn't really appeal to me that much but it is FAST.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 AM

True true I have crashed my fair share of planks lol last one I had was a gental lady electric glider. Probably 10 years aggo, Here is the xpd-8 hope I can hang with it talk about a learning curve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84587.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	840246  
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM

True true I have crashed my fair share of planks lol last one I had was a gental lady electric glider. Probably 10 years aggo, Here is the xpd-8 hope I can hang with it talk about a learning curve.
Make sure the flight controls work properly and everything is trimmed out perfect, don't use excessive power on your first take-off, you should be fine. Also...a nice gentle 3-5mph headwind on takeoff would be exceptional. The trick is to get it away from the ground and then finish trimming it out in flight. I don't know what stall on that would be...but it looks like it's gotta be moving pretty good to maintain minimal flying speed.

Ended up trimming the propeller from 10-7 to 9-7. The motor was working too hard to swing 10-7. It helped quite a bit and propeller hover is now 50% throttle instead of 40%...but that's fine.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM

I have been over it about 10 times now im a little nervous about that first flight may have to get one of the guys at the field to trim it out for me first. I pretty sure I can handle it can be any harder then the heli stuff but the thought of the only air going over the control surface being from airspeed kind of messes with my head. But then again the hole thing cost about what 1 heli crash costs me minus the electronics and they way they are laid out its gonna be a very nasty crash to trash them. Now its just wait for some good weather. If I like flying this one I think my next toy is going to be the gws A-10 it and maybe there mustang, or one of those coisairs lol man im doomed this stuff is just 2 much fun. Gonna have get a part time job on the side to support my addiction im also eyeballing a trex-450.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM

I have been over it about 10 times now im a little nervous about that first flight may have to get one of the guys at the field to trim it out for me first. I pretty sure I can handle it can be any harder then the heli stuff but the thought of the only air going over the control surface being from airspeed kind of messes with my head. But then again the hole thing cost about what 1 heli crash costs me minus the electronics and they way they are laid out its gonna be a very nasty crash to trash them. Now its just wait for some good weather. If I like flying this one I think my next toy is going to be the gws A-10 it and maybe there mustang, or one of those coisairs lol man im doomed this stuff is just 2 much fun. Gonna have get a part time job on the side to support my addiction im also eyeballing a trex-450.

LOL...."only airflow over the aircraft makes you nervous". Thats how they all work including heli's to a degree in forward flight. As far as initial trim tests (I do this with every thing fixed wing up to .40 nitro), head 'er into the wind radio system on...plane in right hand TX in left. Begin your run to toss the plane into the wind. If it wants to roll immediately one way or the other....stop, and dont throw it...make the adjustment. Try it again...run. If it feels like it wants to lift and not roll....give 'er a toss into the wind, and glide 'er to the ground. When I toss it for the glide test I start with ever so slightly up elevator and the nose at 2 deg up attitude when I throw. If it starts to stall....a little nose down, she'll pick up speed and want to climb. I did this with a ParkZone cub...It glided straight across 2 acers with no problems.
I also did it with a GWS Corsair....it glided almost 100yds. Removing the propeller (if it applies) prior to doing this check may save you a couple bucks, if you know what I mean. Once all this is done, a good powered take off should be an easy experience for you.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM

LOL...."only airflow over the aircraft makes you nervous"

Well yah you got me on that one. But all the other stuff I have flown atleast had that prop was to help it along some, Well guess the glider didnt did it lol. See im to the point im looking for stuff to be worried about, These planes just dont have enough moving parts
Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM

LOL...."only airflow over the aircraft makes you nervous"

Well yah you got me on that one. But all the other stuff I have flown atleast had that prop was to help it along some, Well guess the glider didnt did it lol. See im to the point im looking for stuff to be worried about, These planes just dont have enough moving parts

That's the beauty of planks...simplicity, reliable, and CHEAP, compared to heli's. Yeah...dont try to overanalize...just do your basic setup, check trims/CG, and have FUN...it's what it's all about. Helicopters...you always got to be adjusting and analizing, thinking 3 steps or more ahead of yourself....gets old quick. Once you get a plank right...they stay right unless a kid steps on it or you hit a tree or somthing.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Managed 6 flights between yesterday and today and happily, it's still in one piece. This plane has an inherient problem of right hard roll. I balanced the laterial CG and trimmed the propeller from 10-7 to 8-7 which helped tremendously. My last one, I modified it so the rudder would operate...today, I know why. In a heavy wind (12-18mph) I couldn't get it to turn left at all (I was up there pretty good). It floated away and I lost orientation badly because of it's small size. I could see it but couldnt tell if it was comming at me or going away so I walked after it and got enough view to turn it into the wind and fly it back to me...that was close. I did manage to get good straight and level flight out of it and trimmed properly but she seems weak on left turns (no rudder...just ailerons that have good throw). I'm considering adding rudder to this one too as to improve left turn (less than $12 to do the mod). The 3100kv brushless and 25a ESC are WAY more than it needs and I might be fighting torque off the motor (why I trimmed the propeller to 8-7). I think an 8-6 propeller might be another improvement. I wanted power to hang or climb off the propeller...it's got it. I also need NOT to fly it on excessively windy days. I'm seriously considering the F6 also but I need to get this bird flying good first. It flies pretty fast and is not a beginners bird for sure.