Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Dazzler

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazzler

What do you guys think about the Great Planes Dazzler? Is it a good plane? how are the aerobatics? Does it fly good? Any pro's or con's?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Dazzler

Pros-

Tight loops and quick rolls!

Cons-

All it can do is the pros...
Old 08-13-2003, 06:32 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default dazzler

13yroldpilot

Ditto to what BotleRocketWar said. In addition, because of the thick airfoil, it lands like a trainer.

Good flying

Pat
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Dazzler

I had one. I liked it a lot. Then I had a midair with a trainer... The crash was cool too. Have fun.

Jake
Old 08-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Dazzler

Oh boy listed in the pro's ,...crash was cool too." SOunds like a good plane
Old 08-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Dazzler

Let me see if I can get my point across again...

The Dazzler/Uproar will do very tight loops and really quick rolls...It won't flat spin, won't do any 3D, won't knife edge, and it won't do any more than a trainer...It just does what it does quicker.

It's a fun airplane, but even at $45, there are much better choices.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:03 AM

Default Dazzler

Sorry about that BotleRocketWar, I just want to get more info on the plane. But your point just hit me like a ton a bricks. Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Dazzler

Botlerocketwar-
You are exactly right on the spins, and 3d stuff...All I am saying is that I had one(kit, not arf), and really liked it. It flew great, and never let me down with a .40 fx, and had no unusual habits. The only problem was that it doesn't survive contact with trainers.

Jason
Old 08-16-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Dazzler

My friend had a Dazzler ARF. And what I can say it wasn't too good. It was too heavy and he landed in high grass once and he totally broke the fuselage( the wing is glued to the fuselage). If you want Dazzler just choose the kit. But I would rather try something else. I don't think that it is a typical fun fly. It is something between a fun fly and a pattern plane. Of course this is my own opinion.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Dazzler

Okay thanks Boogie
Old 08-16-2003, 06:31 PM

Default Dazzler

Jason, I had two of them...They were both the kit version. Well, one was a Dazzler and the other was an Uproar.

I had fun with both of them, but they can only take you so far... I thought the kit version was a very strong and light design. It can take a lot of abuse...

I had a Pro .46 on mine and it was insane...I am pretty sure I was under 4 lbs. Talk about vertical...
Old 08-18-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Dazzler

My dazzler ARF with a OS 46FX and 12X4 or 12.25X3.75, maximum allowed rudder throw and cg all the way back, sustain knife edge and does really cool blenders, It does flat inverted spins well.-
The con is that with little wind it is hard to land but nothing out of this world!
and I consider the dazzler as a very first step into fun planes type of flight.
after all I am in my magic now a days learning to hover, this as the next step from the dazzler!!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Basted Dazzlers

I basted a few Dazzlers when they first came out years ago in the initial kit form. I extended the rudder about 1-1/2" and increased the elevator halves about 2", and opened up the elevator opening for more rudder throw. Then I installed 2-56 flying wires to better support the oversized tail surfaces. It really needs these flying wires with these modifications (don't ask me how I know this I said I bashed a few! <LOL>) My Dazzlers with these modifications would knife edge all right - nothing to brag about, though would do well. Waterfalls - Good, Harrier - sucked, Flat spin good - upright and inverted, though upright was difficult and sensitive to entry. It is a good entry level Fun-Fly, like the Fazer (basted a few of them too! <LOL>). The Dazzler is a good aircraft, just not a 3D'er.
Take it for what its worth!
Kevin
Old 08-19-2003, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default Dazzler

if you want to spend just $45 and are willing to build a kit. buy the Tower Hobbies fun51 profile. Its a much better airplane. If you just moving into funflies, this will get you started. The fun51 will fly with a good 32, or a 46 it doesn't really matter.

Or for a little bit more money, and a heck o f alot better airplane, you can get the OMP edge for $60 plus your hardware about another $20, plus covering and glue, and you will have 1 of the hottest funflies on the market. And it needs a 46 motor
Old 09-08-2003, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Dazzler

Hey 13yr. What's your level of proficiency? What are you currently flying?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:54 PM

I to had a lot of fun with all seven of mine. Everyone is correct in saying it is like a wild trainer but it does have some faults. It is very weak in front of the wing you will need to beef that up. And even with extending all the flight controls it still just will not 3D very well or do nice spins. It is good for loops and rolls.

I agree with M.Gramling that the OMP edge would be a better substitute. Set conservative it is Capable of flying VERY slow, but move the contrtol throw up and it is a wild animal that will react to your every thought.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 PM

Great little fun fly, I have had three of them (kits). I won a funfly once with one when I took off did 3 loops and 3 rolls and landed in 18 seconds, yup 18 whole seconds. It was the only time I ever got a standing ovation. You can also fly them in 10 foot circles head high, the uproar was the first plane I tried real low slow flight with, you have to realy stay on the sticks but it can be done and is a hoot. I think the fact the kit was only 40 bucks at the time helped teach me the low slow stuff.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:48 AM

18 seconds huh, funny that was my best time when I tied with another guy. We did it again and tied at 18 seconds. I was handed the win for that because my airplane was still flyable.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:17 AM
My Feedback: (9)

The dazzler is a cool plane!If you want a plane that will take you to that other level try the model tech "Magic".It's more like a powered kite!The Magic will do just about any ting but Knife edge & rolling harriers.I actually had my magic gain altitude in an inverted flat spin!!!What's nice is the price.I think you can get them for like $79 now.

Good luck!
Scotty C
Old 09-11-2003, 07:18 AM

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replys. My level of proficientcy is (I would assume) intermediate. I currently have a Sig Senorita as my personal palne, but the guys at my club let me fly there Avistars and one guy even lets me fly his scracth built Gipsy Moth, I can fly all the loop manuevers I know, spins, inverted, and usually grease my landings. Sorry I didn't reply sooner I have been having a lotta trouble with my computer.

-Dan
Old 09-11-2003, 07:08 PM

13yrold, the Dazzler/Uproar kit is a great plane. If kept light, can be flown incredibly slow. I built one as my third plane, first kit. Went together very easy. I stuck a TT Pro-36 up front (about 11-12 oz w/Muffler). It's a good lb lighter than my Topcap ARF. People are right on in regards to it's inability to flat spin, knife edge, or 3D. Most folks end up building a larger rudder, but for some reason (probably due to it's design) it doesn't make all that much of a difference... On calm days, I can hover mine, but if it falls more than 20 degrees or so to either side it flops out. But it's still one of my favorite Sunday fliers.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:28 AM

Okay fellas, let me jump in here. Will the Dazzler be Okey dokey for my second plane? I've had one built since last winter and I'm reluctant to fly it because of all the hours I've got into the construction. (I'd hate like hell to see 50 to 60 hours of my time turned into multi-colored toothpicks.) I've heard that if I go real conservative on the throws it should be relatively docile. Currently has an OS LA40 installed that I've spent hours on polishing the metal to a chrome-like finish. Even painted the spinner to match the rest of the bird.
I've got a lot of pride in it for my first kit and I really don't want to destoy it on it's "shakedown cruise". After that it's on to an Aresti 40 with a Saito FS72 that I've got quite a few hours into.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:35 AM
rwh

Ouch! Bakes65, you sure raise a lot of concerns about a cheap litle fun fly plane with a cheap little engine! You've gotta overcome those concerns. Will it last forever? Will it fly perfectly? No, but try it out and then fix whatevers wrong.

That's my Dazzler, over on the left. Did I put a lot of time into that covering job? You betcha! Been flying it now for five years. Lots of deadsticks and minor crashes.

C'mon toss that puppy into the air! Let's go!

If you feel that way about this little plane, are you ever gonna graduate to bigger, better looking, mor complex planes?

Maybe you better stick with static models, maybe ships or trains.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:59 PM

rwh, my sentiments exactly. My Uproar is now 2 years old, several hundred flights, and still going strong despite an encounter with a limbo pole and terra firma on a couple of occassions! It ain't quite as purty as when I first built it, but it really doesn't fly any worse, believe it or not. I've since moved onto more 3D capable models, but I still enjoy taking the ole Uproar out every now and then. It's one of those models that everyone should own at least one of.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98475.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	61227  
Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Bakes65 you just gotta kiss it everytime you send it up!!! take lotsa pictures then go fly the heck out it, yes you WILL crash sometime, I promise, thats why we gotta have one on the board all the time. F2Racer do you enjoy flying the Upraor 40? I have one and it flys great!!! however, they kinda touted it as a super manuverable monster. I will say it is a great sport airplane, good roll rate, does good snap rolls and lands like a dream. I would recomend it as a first taildragger and a good 3rd airplane, it is fun and relaxing to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.