Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Chuck's EF ARF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chuck's EF ARF!

ORIGINAL: Billy Hell

I'm going electric on mine.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see that.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:31 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going with an AXI 4120/14, the new Jeti Advance 77 opto cotnroller, a 4s4p Kokam 1500 pack and 16x10 prop. I have the same setup on my Gator Bird with 5s4p and it is making 2 horsepower. It has sooo much power I'm going to use less battery on the next one.
It looks like the 540 T is coming in nice and light so I would love it to come in at 4 and a half. All I have to do is start building.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Billy, I'd like to get into the external rotor motors like the AXI but I'm worried about the potential of bendine the motor shaft, and opposed to the gear drive shaft in a standard setup. Whet do you think of that? Can the shaft be replaced as easy on a Motor like this one?
Old 04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying loads would never bend the shaft! Surely you're not thinking of turfing it are you?

I've played with the Axi 4130 motor on helis and if you were to mount the motor from the front face, I don't think bending the shaft would be a concern. It's 6mm dia and only about 3/4" long. As long as your prop adapter doesn't have a lot of leverage on the shaft it should be fine. I've been looking at doing my backup EF edge in electric as well. I figured the same motor as Billy but I can't afford LiPos yet. I'd have to use Nimhs and accept the weight penalty. I've also been thinking of finishing my FF taco in e-power but it would have to use LiPos. I think the weight of NiMhs would kill the performance.

Billy, I have a question on the 4130-16. It is only listed to run on up to 24 cells. Could it handle 32 cells. I want to put one in my Fury and it needs to run up in the 12-15k range. I looked on the Axi site most all of their motors are cell count limited to around 10k rpm. Can they be ran harder/faster before they blow up or burn out? My ideal motor would be 525kv, capable of 32 cells and power handling of 2000watts, for an Axi 4130 price.

Thanks

basmntdweller
Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

Flying loads would never bend the shaft! Surely you're not thinking of turfing it are you?
Well, if I'm honest with myself, it's not a matter of "thinking" I might, I know I will. I've done 2 shafts already on the gearbox. Just got the prop saver, hope that will help. I am building 2 Tacos, and thinking of the e possablities. The problem is I don't know snot, you guys are talking Greek to me. The only way I got my Faomy going was to copy what everyone else is doing. With the AXI, what would be the setup for 2 pounds?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:51 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little GWS gearbox with it's 3mm shaft is a far cry from the hardened 6mm shaft on the Axi 4130 motor. It would be akin to bending the crank on an OS 46. It can be done but not likely from a turfing hover.
For the FF Taco on E, I was looking at the Axi 2820/10 motor. Even this motor may have to be ran beyond it's normal range. It calls for a max of 10 cells. In order to get the rpm up where we will need it to run on 4s LiPos. In order to keep the weight at a minimum, I was thinking 4s2p Kokam 1500s. That pack would weight in about 10oz and the motor is about 6oz. The weight of the throttle servo would be a swap with the ESC so no gain or loss there. I just weighed my FF Taco with OS 25FX at 2lb 6oz. I think if I used the e-power components I mentioned AUW would be about 3oz heavier. That would be fine as that would equal a half tank of fuel. With the e-power, you'd be pulling more prop at lower RPM. I'm not sure how that would effect flight performance other than the torque effect would be much greater with e-power. You may not have enough aileron to stop a torque roll in hover. I'm very tempted to try this as I have everything in stock but the motor and ESC and I would probably risk one of my smaller ESCs for a short test flight. So for the price of a motor I'm there. It may be ordered before the weekend is over!
That's my ideas, Billy may have other approaches plus since he is with HL, he isn't likely to recommend exceeding spec limits. When has specs in a catalog ever stopped a Bro!
later,,,basmntdweller

PS By my calcs, this motor should turn a 12-4 APC in the neighborhood of 9000rpm and make about 4.5-5lbs thrust but you'll never win a race as top speed will max out about 35mph. Plenty for a Taco!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Banned

Cool, let us know how it goes!!!