Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Sledge Power Question >

Sledge Power Question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge Power Question

OK guys, help me out here.

I've got a Sledge kit I'm going to start. I'm trying to decide what motor to put on it. I originally bought an OS 50 SX for it with the Mac's Muffler.

My buddy John Byrne just built a modified Extreme Flight 540T. He made his own foam/CF fuselage and the plane came in at 3.5 lbs with the 50 SX. It hovers at 1/3 throttle and is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy overpowered and floats like a dream with a 10.76 oz wingloading.

So, I was thinking that if I used my Webra .28 speed with a Mac's Muffler and a 2 cell lipo flight pack on the Sledge, it would probably come in about 3-3.5 lbs and it would float like a dream too.

Do some of you Sledge owners think that it would have enough power with the Webra .28? Has anyone tried this type of setup before?

Thanks for your input!

Rob Plamondon
Old 04-03-2004, 09:14 AM

Default RE: Sledge Power Question

Put a Webra speed .50 GT on it and keep it to around 4 lb you'll be good. Too much power is just right. A Webra .28 would not be enough for it. It is suited better to a plane like the Taco that comes in around 2.5lb.

William
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (12)

3Dreaming (I'm pretty sure it was him..) had a Webra 32 powered lightened Sledge. Flew great!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Chuck, you are correct. Mine with the Webra .32 came in at 3lb. At this weight it flies great, and does not fall out of the sky when the engine quits. It will float real nice. Tom
Old 04-03-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks Tom,

How much vertical did it have? What prop did you use? Any other advice?

Thanks again, I think I'm gonna try it.

Rob

ORIGINAL: 3Dreaming

Chuck, you are correct. Mine with the Webra .32 came in at 3lb. At this weight it flies great, and does not fall out of the sky when the engine quits. It will float real nice. Tom
Old 04-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

Well, as for me and the rest of the peanut gallery, I like my Saito .91~!!!!!! Why I'm reeally laughing my ass off is that we are talking about the same plane, and the engine range is .32 2stroke to .91 4stroke. That is funny and ONLY IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:57 PM

Rob, you don't have to worry about vertical. It will go out of sight vertical. As for props I've tried quite a few. Any 10x4 to 11x4 will work OK. Tom
Old 04-04-2004, 10:48 PM

I just got back from flying my SPA3D with a Webra .50 at 4.5 lb and now think that if you keep it at the 3lb range with the Webra .32, oh yeah. Try it and keep it light. I cant wait to hear about it. How about a 54" Burrito at 4.75lb with a webra .50. Instead of going smaller motor, how about larger light plane
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Yeah, that's pretty funny isn't it. The main reason for this question is 4 guys in our club bought the Extreme Flight Edge 540T ARFs and everyone did something different with them.

-Saito .72 flies well but it's a brick at 4.5 lbs with all the weight

-OS 50 SX flies great at 4 lbs but is way overpowered

-OS 50 SX w/new lightweight custom foam/CF fuselage and gear 3.5 lbs and floats like a butterfly, hovers at 1/3 throttle

The lesson we've learned is light is right. The third guy has a 4 lb profile he's trying to sell after flying the 3.5 lb model. There's a world of difference in the way a 4 lb model and a 3.5 lb model fly. All else being equal.

I figure one of the best ways to lighten the model is to cut back on the engine size if it doesn't need it, and clearly it doesn't. We're gonna try to keep the wingloading under 11oz. and have it ready for Memphis!

Rob Plamondon

ORIGINAL: Gordo-Outlaw

Well, as for me and the rest of the peanut gallery, I like my Saito .91~!!!!!! Why I'm reeally laughing my ass off is that we are talking about the same plane, and the engine range is .32 2stroke to .91 4stroke. That is funny and ONLY IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM

I like the Webras they are light, powerful and soo reliable. I would think the .32 would spin an 11x4 with authority and in 3-3.5lb it ought to be impressive.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Airjunky

-Saito .72 flies well but it's a brick at 4.5 lbs with all the weight

-OS 50 SX flies great at 4 lbs but is way overpowered
The Saito 72 isn't 8 oz heavier than a OS 50 SX...there is some weight in that plane someplace besides the engine.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Banned

You beat me too it chuck, and I flew a 4 1/2 pound Extreme flight Edge yesterday, and it AINT NO BRICK!!! That wing is BIG and 4.5 lb aint nothin for it. He has probably got it way nose heavy, which I understand is a problem for that plane. And while I'm feeling fiesty, a 4# pounder with a .50sx (My favorite 2S) is NOT overpowered. Now it has more power than you need, but that's not the same thing.

Now I'm all about "too each his own" but let's be fair to the "Bigger is better" crowd. MY Sledge is 4# 6oz with a saito .91. Bills is 4# with a Webra .50. THey fly the same too me. We flew them ytesterday, and once we got his CG back where it needed to be, they both floated like anybodys bussiness. BUT, when his CG was too far forward, HIS (the lighter one) was a BRICK!!! Would not slow down. OK, Gordo catches his breath!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:14 PM

We've discussed that too Bill! We were thinking if you got a 65" OMP Yak and put the 50 SX on it there would be lots of fun to have.

Gordo, fly one at 3.5# and then tell me 4.5# isn't a brick. Good point on the CG. I'll check where his is compared to the others. I'd say it's more forward because he's also the only one that used the stock aluminum landing gear which may account for a more forward CG and the heavier weight.

Rob

ORIGINAL: novabill

I just got back from flying my SPA3D with a Webra .50 at 4.5 lb and now think that if you keep it at the 3lb range with the Webra .32, oh yeah. Try it and keep it light. I cant wait to hear about it. How about a 54" Burrito at 4.75lb with a webra .50. Instead of going smaller motor, how about larger light plane
Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I personally do not think the webra 28 would make you happy. How did my plane get in the power range of .32 to .91? I wish you luck, post your results. Jeff W.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: JWilliams
How did my plane get in the power range of .32 to .91? I wish you luck, post your results. Jeff W.
I can see Jeff now: Clutching his head, begging for a drink, and screaming "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A .46 GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell have you done to MY DESIGN??????!!!!!"[:@][:@][:@][:@]

It's OK Jeff, we're all just having fun! Now if some bozo comes along and says "I built a Sledge, it's a POS. I strapped a Saito 1.20 on it, put the freakin radio in the tail, enlarged the fuslage by 10 times, and flew it in a volcano. Really bad desing, it won't even climb in an inverted flat spin!!!" Then get pissed, and the Possie will back you!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 PM

I would like to see that foam CF fuse
and DUDE a tt46 would be great $70 (they would be great at a higher price too, but dont tell anybody)
to light and it wont "pop" to a hover or elevator well, just my 2c
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 AM
My Feedback: (67)

[quote]ORIGINAL: Airjunky

We were thinking if you got a 65" OMP Yak and put the 50 SX on it there would be lots of fun to have.

Rob

[quote]

Now this I would have to see.
I flew 3-Dreaming light sledge. It flew great, but you could tell it was a very light plane. The wind really affected it. I believe in lighter is better, but there comes a point where rigidity, and strength have to be maintained regardless of weight.

Any .46 size profile under 5 lbs, is NOT a pig! 4lbs, in my opinion is about right.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 PM

Mine at 3lbs will handle the wind as good as any other profile. It has been flown in 15-20 mph winds, Tom
Old 04-07-2004, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Well I sure hope my Topcap comes in at 4-4-1/2lbs, if not, I will buy a Lithium Polymer battery with a regulator.

I also need to get the carbon fiber landing gear too, save about an ounce.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:08 AM

I'll take a pic of his plane and post it. It's a really simple fuse. Sheeted 1" foam with a carbon fiber arrow shaft in it for rigidity and a "U" shaped piece of ply to support the motor and gear. Then he vacuum-bagged it and stick built a short fin. Installed the stock flying surfaces.

Stock Extreme Flight Fuse weighed 11.5 oz, custom foam/CF fuse weighed 5.5 oz. He also has a very light CF arrow shaft gear that he uses that's quite a bit lighter than the stock aluminum pieces. I forget the numbers on the gear.

Overall it's a pretty amazing plane, 3.5 lbs with the 50 SX. Talk about a rocket punch-out, it's amazing. If it's still around in May, it'll be at the Memphis ProBro.

Cost is not my issue. If the TT46 was lighter, I'd get one.

Rob

ORIGINAL: spadstick

I would like to see that foam CF fuse
and DUDE a tt46 would be great $70 (they would be great at a higher price too, but dont tell anybody)
to light and it wont "pop" to a hover or elevator well, just my 2c
Old 04-14-2004, 08:54 PM

Here are a couple pics of the foam fuselage 3 1/2 lb extreme540. John is using HS 85 mg servos and lipoly batteries. It has been nosed straight into the pavement from about 15 feet, it wrinkled the sheeting slightly but actually didnt break anything. Notice the repair around the engine.

Its a strong fuselage and easy to build. There are several of us playing with the foam fuselage aspect and have learned alot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26204.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	122390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63426.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	122391  
Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 AM

Thanks Kenny![8D]

ORIGINAL: Kenny R

Here are a couple pics of the foam fuselage 3 1/2 lb extreme540. John is using HS 85 mg servos and lipoly batteries. It has been nosed straight into the pavement from about 15 feet, it wrinkled the sheeting slightly but actually didnt break anything. Notice the repair around the engine.

Its a strong fuselage and easy to build. There are several of us playing with the foam fuselage aspect and have learned alot.