Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
OMP Giant Edge 540P "Wing Fix" >

OMP Giant Edge 540P "Wing Fix"

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Giant Edge 540P "Wing Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 04:40 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Giant Edge 540P "Wing Fix"

Not that there is anything wrong with the design of the wing, but I've been getting some "vibration" at the center section where the 2 wing halves connect.
The Moki 2.10 produces some hard hits at low idle, after all it's a BIG Engine. The wing therefore has a tendency to vibrate where it's joined at the wooden dowels, leading and trailing. The trailing edge was the worst of the 2 so I just fixed it.
I have a small hatch- one screw/ leading edge tab, directly above the trailing edge dowel.
The location was marked after cutting the hatch hole and with the wing in place. I simply drilled the hole the exact size of the pin that was used. I used the "Team Losi" part # A-8200. They fit snug on the 1/4" dowels, making the connection tight with no slop or play.
Now it doesn't have the banging sound when the Big Moki 2.10 runs at lower settings. I'm very pleased with the plane, and the Wing Fix was in order.
Perry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41325_2272.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	25933  
Old 12-16-2002, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always a problem

This is always a problem with the big engines. I noticed in the most recent AMA magazine in the article about scratch building an Extra by Mark Hunley (Hartley - I can't remember right now), Mark brought up a very valid point in that whenever possible, the engine mount should be isolated (as much as possible) from the wing tube. The idea is to isolate the engine vibration from the wings. I realize that this is a real problem with a giant scale profile, ecspecially when you are trying to keep the weight down. You may want to consider putting some foam, like servo tape, between the wing joints. This will dampen some of that vibration. Mark claimed that the engine vibration would / could induce damage to the aileron servos. All I can advise is, watch them, and check them frequently. Mark offers some interesting points in his article. Definitely worth reading and sleeping on.
Kevin