Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE* >

Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 03:34 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

It is with regret that I announce that the first annual Tournament of Profiles will not be held at the previous mentioned site.

Perry Morgan
Old 01-10-2003, 04:04 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Let us know as soon as you can when and where. Most clubs are setting dates now for fly-ins, contests etc.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:54 PM
My Feedback: (5)

So have we got rules and lay out yet????
Old 01-10-2003, 07:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Where and what rules (routines and such)?
Old 01-11-2003, 02:55 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default TOP

I'm gona win :idea:int. class Doug
Old 01-11-2003, 07:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

da king, we have not wrote anything in concrete concerning rules and maneuvers. If you would like to submit known maneuvers for a basic, intermediate and expert classes send them to me at [email protected]. I did definewhat a profile plane is for the TOP rules. That is pretty well set but no maneuvers are set yet. I am also working on plane/equipment requirements. We will have it all spelled out in plenty of time. Perry and I are eyeballing the first part of August but that depends on the flying site too. Jeff W.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:43 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Jeff,
Can you post the definition of a profile plane for the TOP? I guess it was posted in another thread and I missed it.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Jeff....I will see what i can come up with.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:07 PM

I have a request to everyone considering the routines. Please make it more than just variations upon the theme of hovering. This is not the T.O.H., right? 3D has 2 separate styles, there is low energy (like harriers and hovering) and high energy (like parachutes and blenders). Please include some of the whip crack fun fly 3D stuff. At each level of expertise, we should show skills in both. After all, the T.O.C. has sequences including both, right? Anyway, it's just a request.

I'm also interested in the official definition of a profile. On a prior thread, it got kinda' funny.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM

Jeff W. asked me to write down some maneuvers for 3 different classes for the TOP.

Dont worry, what I submitted is certainly not all hovering. Far from it matter of fact.

I dont know if they will use my list or not.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:02 PM

Very cool!

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2003, 05:24 PM

Ok guy's, Just jotted this down. Let me know what you think. I can do all these soo it is probly int?

center 1) hand launch and harrier to center for a 3 sec hover
center 2) vertical to hammer head at top with a 1/4 roll on down line
side 3) 1/2 cuban 8
center 4) wall, 1/4 roll on upline, 1 1/2 waterfall at top, 1/4 roll on down line into a parachute
side 5) 1/2 square loop with 1/2 roll at top
center 6) push nose down in to blender, parachute into harrier
center 7) harrier circle
center 8) finish with one tork roll
Old 01-12-2003, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (14)

What kind of personnel is needed to put on the T.O.P? I realize more is better; just trying to get some idea of what your looking for.
I'm sure our feild here in Napoleon, Ohio is big enough for you. Just wondering if we have the personnel you'll need.

Gene Royal
Secretary-Thistledown Flyers
Old 01-12-2003, 10:25 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Personnel

The personnel needed will consist of Judges, Impound Station, Parking Attendants, Field Marshals, Safety Officers, etc. just to mention a few..
It may be that the Pilots attending will have some experience with some of these and can work a position while not flying. It wouldn't be fair for somebody to do it all and not be able to fly the event.
If you plan to fly and have experience that would benefit, please say so when you sign up for the TOP Event. We will probably have working positions at the point of sign up for you to view and choose from.
Perry
Old 01-13-2003, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Gene
As good a job as you all have done in the past I am sure it will be a snap.
Never saw a club work together like T.D.
Jeff was talking about planting hay this spring in the fields on both sides of the the pits and parking area for overflow parking and camping.
Corn doesn't make a good overflow parking area but is a great place to find planes
I am up for anything I can do. Planning on being there all three days.
Gonna have the profile edge ready ain't ya Gene?!?!

Mike
Old 01-13-2003, 07:47 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Jeff, Does my ecstacy (and yours) fit the defenition of a profile
Old 01-13-2003, 09:48 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Yeah Mike,
I plan on having both of my Edge profiles done by then. If it's going to be in August I might even have a second Gee Bee by then too. I'm curious to see which plane flies better.
That corn really shrinks the feild up; have you been there with it off? We usually have had beans or wheat; this was the first in a number of years for corn.
I think Jeff would put in another 5 acres of grass if we needed it; but it already takes 7 hrs. to mow. I was glad we had a dry summer this year. I think we've actually got a groundskeeper now. He doesn't fly, just likes being part of the group; and will mow for beer!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:48 AM

Get rid of the hand launch

Randy

Originally posted by da king
Ok guy's, Just jotted this down. Let me know what you think. I can do all these soo it is probly int?

center 1) hand launch and harrier to center for a 3 sec hover
center 2) vertical to hammer head at top with a 1/4 roll on down line
side 3) 1/2 cuban 8
center 4) wall, 1/4 roll on upline, 1 1/2 waterfall at top, 1/4 roll on down line into a parachute
side 5) 1/2 square loop with 1/2 roll at top
center 6) push nose down in to blender, parachute into harrier
center 7) harrier circle
center 8) finish with one tork roll
Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Default SmallFly

Tom - I talked with Jeff when he visited last, needless to say this is not official (because I am not an official <LOL>), but I asked Jeff what qualified as being a profile. Basically, a profile can not have bulkheads / formers running vertically perpendicular to the fuse sides. This is not the easiest to explain, but what it boils down to is, if it has a box style fuse, i.e. like the Ecstasy, Hard Bet, etc., then it does not classify as a Profile. This means that only my Aeron would qualify for this event out of HSRCM designs . Personally, I would like them to change this event to a 3D Fun - Fly event, which would make it more open in the types of aircraft that can be flown. Though this is just my opinion and I am obviously bias. That is easily seen by my designs
Tom, I guess that you would have to compete with your Sledge 540, or another profile, if you have one, or care to build one in time.
Talk to Jeff, but this is my understanding from my conversation with Jeff a couple of months ago.
Kevin
Old 01-14-2003, 02:32 PM

I would like to hear the official word on the definition. I'm finishing my Su-Do-Khoi 60, and by Kevin's recollection here, it may not qualify, as it has 5 ply formers (bulkheads) all running top to bottom inside the fuselage. Maybe I need to hold up on that plane and come up with plan "B". Can Jeff, Gator, or JP give the final word ASAP, please?

Also, I agree, no hand launch or landings as "required" or "standard" parts of a routine or sequence. Let's not piss off the AMA our first year! Maybe as part of a "Freestyle" or "Optional" part of the tournament.

Kevin- I too would not mind a T.O.F.F. That would open the tournament up to SEs, Ecstasys, Extasys, Hots, Doghouse Extremes, U-Can-Dos, and many others. I think it would easily double the attendance. But that's just me...
Old 01-14-2003, 02:58 PM

Su-do-khoi .60 is definately a profile and definately has formers....

Hmmmmmmm.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:11 PM

My thoughts as well, but I'm not in charge.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:12 PM

Me neither......
Old 01-14-2003, 04:12 PM

As I said before, it is hard to explain the definition of what classifies as a profile, and what doesn't. I believe that you will find that since Morris markets the Sudukio as a profile, it will qualify, though the officials, needless to say, has the final word. I like the idea of the T.O.F.F.s (though, once again, I'm bias! )
When you really think about it, its difficult to qualify what is a profile and what is not without limiting it to a 40-size aircraft, and I believe that is not the intent.
Kevin
Old 01-14-2003, 04:26 PM

I guess it's a "Spirit of the Tournament" kinda' thing. I feel like the Su-Do is a profile, but the U-Can-Do isn't much different in construction. There again, how could we any more easily define a Fun Fly. My planes all Fly Fun or I get rid of them. I feel pretty sure that the Su-Do will qualify, but there needs to be a rule or qualifying plane list. Beyond all things we need to maintain the "Spirit of the Tournament" and not over govern this into non-existance. After all, a plane is no better than the pilot flying it. The pilot will win this Tournament and not the plane. I do not feel like the design of the fuselage will have much impact on the winner.

Maybe we can do an I.T.O.P. (International Tournament Of Profiles. Show up with your field Gear and a practice plane, and the tournament will supply 10 identical profile planes for competition. Kinda; like I.R.O.C. Now that would be a riot! Talk about separating the men from the boys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.