Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 PST 600 problem >

PST 600 problem

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

PST 600 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PST 600 problem

I have over 6 hours of flight time on my PST and have had good luck. Today I went to the flying field and noticed the GDT would display "No-RC" and would not allow start. Yes, I had the transmitter and receiver on, but to no avail. I made sure all wires were properly connected and they were.

Now to the interesting part. After trying anything I could think of, I moved the radio(JR 10X) and noticed the "No RC" became intermittent. I then, with antenna in down position, moved it closer to the TEMS unit and noticed the "No RC" disappeared. I moved it away about 1 foot and observed the "No RC" come back on. Thinking it was just some sort of interference I pulled the antenna all the way out, but after backing away about 4 to 5 feet the "No RC" would come on.

Thinking I might possibly have a receiver problem(JR 955 PCM) or Radio problem I did a range check for the rest of the plane. With everything on, all the servos operated correctly at about 150 feet (360 degrees) with the antenna removed from the transmitter.

With the antenna all the way up, and me standing right next to the plane, I did do a successful start. However, I backed away about 5 feet and the turbine shut down.

I took the plane home and changed the receiver to a brand new JR 649 PCM, but it did the same exact thing.

Later in the day I took the radio and flew my 35% Edge with no problems.

Through the process of elimination I have concluded the Transmitter and Receiver are not at fault, based upon successful Range Checks, swapping receivers, and the fact I used the transmitter to fly another plane afterwards.

All connections are correct and secure.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Default RE: PST 600 problem

Additional info.

The engine is in a Tango.
JR Servos throughout.
2 duralite 1900 mah batteries.
Duralite 5.6 volt regulators.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, tough one. Sorry its giving you trouble... []

I'll chew this up with the guys in Thailand and one of us will get back to you shortly.

I have a few questions to start with though...
When you changed receivers, did you use the same crystal?
Is there any range increase when using a conventional 4 or 5 cell Rx pack?
Has the ECU ever been in a crash?
Is the ECU wire to the RX damaged at all or have any sharp bend in it that could cause a flaky connection?
Has the ECU or the RX plug ever been soaked due to a Kero leak?
What software version are you using running on the GDT and ECU? (they should appear in the startup screen)
What is the serial number of the motor and when did you purchaser it?

Sorry for all the question, just trying to cover every base and get whatever background info I can.

Thanks,
Kelly W
Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 AM

Hi Skykop,

Have you tried "Learn R/C Parameters" again? We have experienced this when the same TX is being used for many models. Please let me know if this help.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
PST Jets
Old 01-17-2005, 10:57 AM

"When you changed receivers, did you use the same crystal?"
New receiver, new crystal

"Is there any range increase when using a conventional 4 or 5 cell Rx pack?"
No

"Has the ECU ever been in a crash?"
No

"Is the ECU wire to the RX damaged at all or have any sharp bend in it that could cause a flaky connection?"
No, but I'll replace to verify.

"Has the ECU or the RX plug ever been soaked due to a Kero leak?"
No

"What software version are you using running on the GDT and ECU? (they should appear in the startup screen)"
GDT 2.21 ECU 2.32

"What is the serial number of the motor and when did you purchaser it?"
254660149. Purchased a little over a year ago.

Thanks for trying!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 AM

"Have you tried "Learn R/C Parameters" again? We have experienced this when the same TX is being used for many models. Please let me know if this help."

No I haven't, but I will try. Hopefully it will work. Thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 07:40 PM

SkyKop, another option that you may want to try; "Reset to Default" then "Learn R/C Parameters" again. Remember to note down the old ramping and startup parameters and re-enter them after reset. Hope that your J600 will be up and running again very soon.

Kraivuth S.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:11 PM

I just tried the "learn RC parameters". No luck.

I then hooked up a different radio and receiver, but same thing. "No RC". I could put the antenna right next to the TEMS and it would go away. I could also put the antenna next to the GDT and Receiver and the "No RC" would go away and allow start.

I noticed the red light on the TEMS, when antenna was close, appeared to be weak (unlike normal) and when I moved the antenna away it (red light)would go off.

I will try the "reset to default" and then "learn RC parameters". Hopefully it will work, but I think something is possibly wrong with the TEMS.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:50 PM

SkyKop,

If the problem persists, the TEMS unit will need to be looked at by PST in Thailand or by Kelly in Canada. The red LED is the rpm sensor sensitivity and has no related function with the R/C signal. Remember that the TEMS only look at the R/C signal coming from the Rx thru the cable. The problem is that the TEMS is not seeing a good R/C signal...either weak, intergerred, or failed safe condition. Anyway, please keep us posted and we are ready to help if it ever comes to sending the unit in.

Kraivuth S.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59 PM

Kraivuth,

Kelly and I have been in e-mail contact and I want to thank you for aggressively correcting the problem. I have already sent the ECU and GDT to Kelly and I appreciate your company making this a warranty type repair, even though I am just slightly out of warranty. It makes me feel good that your company is standing behind their product and looking out for customer satisfaction. Thank you.

Tyler (Skykop)
Old 02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tyler,

Hopefully your ECU is arriving shortly, if not there already. Please download the latest J600/J600R manual from the PST web site [link=http://www.pstjets.com/j600.html]here[/link].

The ECU section, starting on page 12, should describe how to configure your system to work with the new fail-safe delay function and glitch counter. You will also need to configure you're failsafe in the radio system accordingly, shown on page 23.

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 02-06-2005, 09:00 PM

Kelly,

I received the ECU and I am in the process of installing it back in the airframe. I really appreciate dealing with you and PST. It makes me feel good that I can count on someone to rapidly fix a problem and do so in a professional manner. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Go PST!

Tyler (SkyKop)
Old 03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
My Feedback: (135)

message deleted.Sorry!