Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Deluxe Material's Aerokote >

Deluxe Material's Aerokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Deluxe Material's Aerokote

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe Material's Aerokote

Has anybody used the fuel proofer called Aerokote (gloss/matt) from Deluxe Materials? I bought a bottle and so far, I found it to be absolute rubbish. I've tested it out on even as low as 5% nitro and all it has done is to go gummy within secs of contact. Does not work as a fuel proofer at all. Just wanted to find out if anyone has had positive results with this product or whether I happen to have a bad bottle. I've written to Deluxe Material but so far, they have not bothered to reply at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deluxe Material's Aerokote

Hi
I used aerokote years ago and found it excellent
This may be a stupid question but did you use the 'hardener' from the small bottle
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would visit the Deluxe Materials booth every year at the Toledo Show. I loved their Superphatic for building. I don’t use iron on films but Covergrip works great for others. It’s like a thicker version of Hot Cover. EZE Kote makes applying fiberglass easy.

I’m really nervous about spraying epoxy so when Albon Kelly (RIP) of Merlin Glo-Plugs showed me a control line model he fuel proofed with a brush, I was intrigued. It was as smooth as an airbrushed job. He said he had poured 100% nitro over it. He told me he had mixed up a batch and put the unused portion in the freezer. After thawing, he was able to use it again months later. Then, he said: “Don’t buy the new stuff. It never cures….” I trotted over to the Deluxe Materials booth and asked them what they changed. They said it had been matt but you could add gloss. Now it’s gloss but you can make it matt. Other than that, they removed the carcinogen from the catalyst.
I still haven’t tried the stuff because I have since been informed that the catalyst has a shelf life of only six months and the bottles do not have a manufacture date! I know my catalysts are all >6mons old. Probably every one on the hobby shop self too. I contacted Deluxe Materials about this and they can only suggest: try experimenting on a small surface before proceeding to a larger surface. Ugh!

A lot of free-flighters out west use Fullerplast. I always thought it was an epoxy but this video suggests it isn’t. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6_7I-yO6g#ddg-play
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here’s what the product used to look like.