Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paint On Props

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:22 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint On Props

As safety measure we have been encouraged to paint the tips of our props. Wondering what paint works well and will stay on at least for a while. Tried model dope-it does not last very long.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:36 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint On Props

LusterKote, Hobby Poxy, WalMart, Kyrlon, etc....they all work - I use them to balance a prop!

Of course my props don't last very long, so I don't know about them being fuel proof

Jerry
Old 02-18-2002, 06:08 AM

Default Paint On Props

Someone in another post I read suggested nail polish. Sounds as if it would work but haven't tried it yet. With all the crazy colors women wear nowadays it would be possible to test a very wide spectrum! Also, the little bottles WOULD be handy carrying around in the tool box for quick touch-ups at the field. Just going to be hard explaining to the wife why the "Avon" lady keeps appearing at the door and handing you a little bag!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:54 AM

Default Paint On Props

Howdy, Yeah I saw that post about the nail polish so I gave it a try. Various colors where mentioned but I stuck with pure white for safety / visibility. The guy above had a GREAT idea about putting the little bottle in the field box for touch-ups. Maybe I should have my wife paint the prop tips for me. Her nails always look great, my prop tips are rough!! (you have to work fast..the polish dries VERY fast and if you try to go back over an area it messes it up.) lownslo

Bob
Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 PM

Default Nail Polish!

Sorry guys, maybe I forgot to mention how fast it dries... If it doesn't cover completely the first time around - do what the women do! Do it again!

I also used thinned Testors to completely shade an APC prop black then used white nail polish with a red stripe on the tips. Looked great! The Testors did wear off a little with time... but that plane didn't last too long anyway!

Good idea about taking a bottle with to the field! Only problem is there is already so much stuff in my flight box I'll have to take a wagon if I add anything else!

Jeff
Old 02-18-2002, 10:17 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Paint On Props

I use testors modeling enamels for my tips, and it seems to hold up pretty good, if its a light color like white or yellow, you will have to put on multiple coats.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:44 PM

Default Paint On Props

Testors makes paint sticks that are handy to carry around in flight box...many colors too. Have at WalMart.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:02 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint On Props

Ah, nail polish will dry much faster than paint.....neat idea!

Jerry
Old 02-19-2002, 12:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default prop paint

I've been using bottles of "Liquid Paper" for a long time. Has a brush attached to the cap. Seems to last a long time but then I guess I fly a lot like "tailskid" so I don't have a really good feel for just how long this combo would last under "normal" conditions. Keep a bottle in my flight box for touch ups.

Pretty cheap at office supply stores - cheaper yet from a company supply cabinet - but none of us would ever do that. Right???

Well, it works for me. Your mileage may vary

Dan
Old 02-19-2002, 01:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Walmart acrylic paint

I have been using the little bottles of walmart acrylic paint. You can get whatever color you want. It is about .77 cents a bottle. It stays on pretty well.
Haven't noticed if it is fuel proof.
I also use it on the firewall of most of my planes with thinned epoxy over the top.
Work great.
Keven