Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

oil soaked ply

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil soaked ply

What is the best method of getting Castor oil from the exhaust out of a ply frame ? I done a search but yielded little results. After flying my tiger 2 for 3yrs oil got under the monocoat, I am doing a complete restore!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:34 PM

Default RE: oil soaked ply

Apparently baby powder works wonder, or try some alcohol which will evaporate. Last suggestion: glue a 1/64 sheet over the area and re -cover.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do it two ways. You can put as much of the fusealage in a bucket of kitty litter and let it sit for a couple of days. You can get some K2R spot remover which will pull out the oil. Once you have done all of this and are ready to cover it again, apply a coat of Balsarite. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM

I had absolutely no luck with baby powder, as far as gluing 1/64 balsa glue does not stick very well to oil soaked wood... where do you get this K2R ? I never heard of it
Old 10-18-2007, 05:56 PM

I just bought an aerosal can of the stuff from my local ACE Hardware.............K2r is famous in the modeling community for salvaging oil/fuel soaked airframes.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM

K2R is a spot remover available at grocery stores in the soap/housewares aisle.

Spray on a coat, let it dry to a white powder, then use the can top brush to remove the dust...do it again until all of the oil/grease/crap is gone. Brush on a coat of Balsarite, and you are ready to cover.
I've been using this method for over 30 years..works on balsa too....not just ply.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM

thank to all, I had no idea it was a spot remover. I told the salesman it was used to get oil out of wood.................... He looked at me like i was some kind of IDIOT
Old 10-19-2007, 06:26 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I start with my covering iron. I set it as hot as it will go. Lay it on the wood. It will start to sizzle. have some towels handy. When it starts to sizzle wipe the wood then the iron. Then keep doing it. You will be amazed how much liquid comes out. it will litteraly boil out of the edge of the ply. After you get most of it out use one of the above methods to finish it off. I have not tried the K2R. I need to. I have mixed corn startch with water and painted it on. After it dries you can wipe it off. It's works pretty good.

David
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 PM

I did use my heat gun to get a lot of it out. I was amazed how much came out. I bought the k2r and i am now using that to finish up.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM
kdc

Trying to recover an oil soaked plane with heat shrink materials is difficult.
Much better to recover with dope & tissue or dope & nylon after removing all possible oil as previous correspondents suggested.

Even just doping nylon over a section works - you just lap over the remaining film and paint to match.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 AM

that stuff workes pretty well.. started using it friday and almost all the oil is out
thanks for the help