Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these? >

OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I'm sceptical. The VG looks like a blinged out RG with Nickel liner.
Go with the TTR PRO 21B-R instead. That one is worth rebuilding. $46 for a P/L set and $10 for a rod.
I love Thunder Tiger's airplane engines, but I actually had a TTPro .21 8 yrs ago or so. It never ran very well for me and really turned me off on their buggy engines. I'll keep using them for my planes, but not in my cars.

So is there anyone here who has actually put several gallons through a VG? A lot of speculation as to how they might be, but not much experience on their longevity?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:50 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

ORIGINAL: kojak61

It comes with a 2 year warrenty. If OS is willing to put that long of a warrenty on it, Then it must be durible.
OS has always had that warranty with there engines, I know a guy who got 4 new .18 size tmaxx engines I think it was an .18 TZ before he got one that would run well enough to break it in. I think the warranty is a show of how cheap these engines are to make and replace, not how durable they are. I would buy the new .21 VG but I would not run it as my main race engine, I would use it as a back up and run it when my RB Concepts was down for maint. The cheaper engines arent worth replacing the piston sleeve and con rod. In most cases you may as well get a new one.

More then likely it was a OS TM as the TM are made for Traxxas vehicles and yes the TM has a warranty but the TZ and V spec do not.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 PM

The RG didn't come with a warranty! the V-spec didn't either! Blueapplepaste the sportwerks engines are definatley worth a look. Also the TTR .21 pro is almost the same as the RG so if you really wanted an RG then get one of those (SManMTB knows what he's on about with these engines as far as I can tell). look at the STS engines too. You wont be short of decent budget engines.
As for the VG.....I'll sit and wait. I'd try some others out before I splashed out on the VG. The RG was a bargain but the VG isn't the same price and its not even based on the old RG.
P.S. The hyper 8 port is a good budget engine too, and the GO .21s get a good write up (haven't tried one though)
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
46u

Yep I like my STS D21B very much and have the RG as back up. I do believe the STS will out run the RG and being the VG is about the same would think it will all so out run it. Yes I would pick the STS D21B over the VG any day and they are priced about the same.
http://www.stsmicroengines.com/
Old 01-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Well all I can say is my buddy has about a gallon thru his VG and is very happy with it. My VG on its 10th tank, still running rich was keeping up with a v spec. Our track is a small track, you don't need alot of engine. I am very happy with mine. Most companies try out new technolgy on low price products before using them on there high end products. Think about how Nissan first put push button start in a Altima, before any Infinity. I know you guys see ABL and think Aluminum Brass L?, but ABL stands for Advanced Bimetallic Liner. It not a plating process, but the sleeve is made of a special combinaton of alloys. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 PM

I got a VG just because it was cheap, I didn't want a top end RB just yet. On the indoor track its awesome. Its got a lot of low end grunt, at least to me. I'm not that experienced, but its got a lot down low. I've got a jp-2 pipe on as well to help its top end some. For the money its not bad. I don't even have half gallon through it yet, so as far as how long it'll last, not sure just yet.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: thopper

It is not faster then a vspec not even in the ballbark. I have both engines and the vg is about 70% of the vspec power.
Quick breakin, idles great runs cool but NOt a vspec. Good basher, backup motor.
I said he said that his LOSI 8 with a 21vg is faster than his jammin with a V-spec, I didn't say that a VG is faster than a V-spec.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

The RG didn't come with a warranty! the V-spec didn't either! Blueapplepaste the sportwerks engines are definatley worth a look. Also the TTR .21 pro is almost the same as the RG so if you really wanted an RG then get one of those (SManMTB knows what he's on about with these engines as far as I can tell). look at the STS engines too. You wont be short of decent budget engines.
As for the VG.....I'll sit and wait. I'd try some others out before I splashed out on the VG. The RG was a bargain but the VG isn't the same price and its not even based on the old RG.
P.S. The hyper 8 port is a good budget engine too, and the GO .21s get a good write up (haven't tried one though)
Yeah, I actually ordered a Sportwerks .26 today. I decided to wait for some more reports on the VG to come in. Hopefully it truly will be a RG replacer; those were amazing engines. But I guess time will tell. Look foward to the Sportwerks.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Look at these VG mods.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10536

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10260
Old 01-14-2007, 02:41 PM

they wouldn't 'mod' an engine if they thought it was junk would they?
serious question.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM
46u

No one said the VG was junk but it has not been out long enough to know about its longevity with the process they use in plating the sleeve. An engine modifier will modify anything you send them and do not care if it is junk or not as they get their money any way. I say buy one and let us know how it holds up.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: what_stanger

they wouldn't 'mod' an engine if they thought it was junk would they?
serious question.

Modded engines sell, no matter what LOL.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Yes I understand they haven't been out long enough. What i'm saying is, jim hottinger, or whoever mods engines.....must have some faith as they offer these as modded engines. You don't see SOME of the other cheaper low budget engines being modded. Maybe they have a deal with os?

Whatever the case, I did buy one of the VGs as a cheap race engine for in indoor track. So far its been great, but obviously hasn't been through the test of time just yet.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: what_stanger

Yes I understand they haven't been out long enough. What i'm saying is, jim hottinger, or whoever mods engines.....must have some faith as they offer these as modded engines. You don't see SOME of the other cheaper low budget engines being modded. Maybe they have a deal with os?

Whatever the case, I did buy one of the VGs as a cheap race engine for in indoor track. So far its been great, but obviously hasn't been through the test of time just yet.
The decision to mod an engine is based on the basic design of the engine and how good it's sales are. If it is not selling well it would be risky to mod it and not be able sell it. If the engine doesnt have a design that cannot be made better, then they wouldnt waist the time to mod it. Amainhobbies has some say on the matter also. And Hottinger has several low budget engines out on the market.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Getting back on the subject here. I have a friend who has one of these. He got one because he thought it would have less power than his p-5 and therefore calm his driving down. WRONG!!! After the first gallon the front bearing went out. He put in a bearing from a force engine and the thing is way stronger than his p-5. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen both engines run with my own eyes. He's thinking about putting the p-5 back on now. I drove the VG and it impressed me.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 AM

If its stronger than the P5 then somethingis wrong with the P5.

Ed M.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bentgear

True Nickasil would make a quality lining. Thats not what OS is using in its low end engines.

Ed M.

This is true.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 AM

Trust me, there's nothing wrong with the p-5. Oh, and I've been around and tuned on .21's for quite some time now. Like I said. You'd just have to see it to believe it.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM

I have both P5 and the VG. The VG is about 70% of the P5. The vg winds out at about 30K rpm and the bottom end is not very strong compared to the P5. In a very small track environment the VG may work ok. I bought the VG just to see how it ran and would not uy another for racing. For bashing it seems like a god alternitive. It idles well ,great fuel consumption and so far reliable.(1 gallon). Break in was very easy. (makes me wonder). I purchased from tower and with a 30.00 buck coupon it cost 129.00 cheap enough to try. Good back up motor.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:26 PM

I run with VG's at my local track all the time,wich is a pretty fast track with lotsa WOT runs , i run a STS D21T , and i can keep up with the v-specs and the likes , but on the front (200+feet)straight you catchup to a VG pretty quickly.

If you can keep up with a V-spec on the straight the guy running his V-spec must be running it way out of tune...

i have seen in the past few racedays that the VG likes to run a little hotter more in the 240-260 degree range.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/newb...id=371&forum=5
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 AM

Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 AM

First of all WOW what a lengthy thread.. I have a OS .30 VG in my LST 2, I am also kind of new to the Nitro scene (Keep that in mind). I have had to send my OS engine back to OS 2 times for "Warranty" work. The first time I could not keep the temps down even when I was very very rich. The factory just sent me a new engine. The second time it was still rich (Lots of smoke) I called the factory and gave them a description of the problem, they said I needed to lean it out some. I leaned just a little (was still smoking but not as much) and ouch 300 degrees. I could not start the engine again. I sent it back to the factory they rebuilt it and I just completed the break in process post factory rebuild. I am using a stock LST pipe with 30% O.D. Fuel and a Cold plug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaIhOYlmomI Here is a short vid. Of the LST 2 and the OS .30 VG engine. Hope this is the kind of information you wanted to hear about (personal experience).

Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: Losi8racer

why does everyone think nickel isn't as good as chrome ?... nickel in combination with silicon carbide is much harder then chrome will ever be...it's very hard to scratch a nickasil liner...because it's much harder the concensus is that the pisont will wear quicker, wich is not neccesarily true.

nickasil linings have been used in 2 stroke engines on dirtbikes / racing engines etc for many years (15+ years) honda started lining their cylinders with nickel way back in the early 90's

I am guessing you are talking about water cooled motorcycle engines that turns maybe half the RPM’s? They use to use ABN and a very few still do that where nickel and any that knows this hobby they where not durable. This is why 90% or better of the engines made now are ABC.

Yes one good thing about the VG series it has a 2 year warranty and many I have talked to have had to use it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Update, mine lost all compression, had to send back to os. It was rebuilt under warenty. New piston an sleeve, and rear bearing. Just got it back a week ago. So it did not make it past a year, I got in Dec 20, 2006. Ran good untill it lost compression. I just used in a race got 3rd in the b main.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.