Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these? >

OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

I need a new engine and since OS doesn't make the RG anymore was thinking of getting one of these. Anyone have one? I know OS generally makes great engines but wanted to hear about some personal experience.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Default RE: OS .21 VG - Anyone running one of these?

Me and another guy at my track have them. They are great engines. I am still leaning mine out as it only has 10 tanks on it, it could clear big jumps while running blubbery rich.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Let us know how they hold up, as I am not crazy about the way they did the plating on the piston sleeve. Wish they had stayed with the ABC like on the RG and most other engines.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM

This lining is better than ABC.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: kojak61

This lining is better than ABC.
Big statement! All the worlds engine builders are wrong. It's not better or worse. If it shows that it can match ABC in durability in all types of conditions than it may be as good but that is going to take a year or two to determine. Just because an ad says it's better we should beleive it? Time will tell.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM

The 30VG use the same type sleeve. And it has been out a year.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:54 PM

I have a friend at the race track who just put one in his 8,and he thinks it is faster than is jammin with a V-spec.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM

It is not faster then a vspec not even in the ballbark. I have both engines and the vg is about 70% of the vspec power.
Quick breakin, idles great runs cool but NOt a vspec. Good basher, backup motor.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:59 PM
46u

I agree time will tell how it holds up but I was told it was nickel and not chrome they use. If so we all know about the ABN how it holds up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM

It's not nickel, its ABL (Advanced Bimetallic Liner)
Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 PM

The 30VG use the same type sleeve. And it has been out a year.
The 30VG has had alot of problems with the sleeve and I no of two people who have had problems with premature wear. That doesnt mean that it's bad but it's something to pay attention to. They may not have broken in the engine correctly and there could be many factors involved. All I'm saying is that we should all be aware of new items and that there is no way you , I or anybody else can rely hole heartedly on anything different until some time goes by and OS used ABC on the V-spec engines as far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong) that would tell me that may not be convinced that there higher dollar and high expectation engines should be made with anything other than ABC.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Hmmmm...seems like maybe I should wait and see if it's a proven technology. I've always had great success with OS but might look at Team Orion, Axial, Sportwerks, since all I'm looking for is an engine for bashing. I'd be pissed if it only lasted a gallon or two...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM

It comes with a 2 year warrenty. If OS is willing to put that long of a warrenty on it, Then it must be durible.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
46u

Can any one show me where it says chrome? No it does not say nickel but wonder why it does not say chrome maybe because it is nickel? I agree OS for me have been very reliable but all where ABC. OS took a very good engine and discounted it the RG and came out with the VG increased the price it does not come with and air filter like the RG did and has a questionable plating technique. I use to be and OS person but I think OS is going in the wrong direction.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:28 PM

http://video1.hobbico.com/gallery/osmg2075-deluxe.mpg
This is a video for the .30vg, but they talk about the lining. It is not chrome or nickel, but something else.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:00 AM

It comes with a 2 year warrenty. If OS is willing to put that long of a warrenty on it, Then it must be durible.
OS has always had that warranty with there engines, I know a guy who got 4 new .18 size tmaxx engines I think it was an .18 TZ before he got one that would run well enough to break it in. I think the warranty is a show of how cheap these engines are to make and replace, not how durable they are. I would buy the new .21 VG but I would not run it as my main race engine, I would use it as a back up and run it when my RB Concepts was down for maint. The cheaper engines arent worth replacing the piston sleeve and con rod. In most cases you may as well get a new one.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 AM

I'm sceptical. The VG looks like a blinged out RG with Nickel liner.
Go with the TTR PRO 21B-R instead. That one is worth rebuilding. $46 for a P/L set and $10 for a rod.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:25 AM

ABL may be a lot of things, looks like a nickle liner to me, but its not chrome. The 21 VG is a good running engine, it does not producre monster torque or RPM. It will get a buggy around the track in a respectable fashion. Seems like it would be a good beginners engine or for someone that wants some headache free running. Very quick breakin and very easy to needle. Doubt I will buy another one, just had to know and had the chance to pick one up fairly cheap.

Ed M.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:27 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

OS has always had that warranty with there engines, I know a guy who got 4 new .18 size tmaxx engines I think it was an .18 TZ before he got one that would run well enough to break it in. I think the warranty is a show of how cheap these engines are to make and replace, not how durable they are. I would buy the new .21 VG but I would not run it as my main race engine, I would use it as a back up and run it when my RB Concepts was down for maint. The cheaper engines arent worth replacing the piston sleeve and con rod. In most cases you may as well get a new one.

You might want to do some checking as I know my OS TZ did not come with a warranty as well as I know the V spec does not. Yes most OS engines do but not all. All so if you check it is a limited warranty. Yes OS for the most part is very good on warranty replacement when there is one.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

You might want to do some checking as I know my OS TZ did not come with a warranty as well as I know the V spec does not. Yes most OS engines do but not all. All so if you check it is a limited warranty. Yes OS for the most part is very good on warranty replacement when there is one.
There is no need for me to check anything, I was responding to information from someone else and quoting a situation with a guy I know about getting TZ's replaced. I think this thread has played out.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 AM

Will the OS 21VG be faster with a 18 CB?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:47 AM

why does everyone think nickel isn't as good as chrome ?... nickel in combination with silicon carbide is much harder then chrome will ever be...it's very hard to scratch a nickasil liner...because it's much harder the concensus is that the pisont will wear quicker, wich is not neccesarily true.

nickasil linings have been used in 2 stroke engines on dirtbikes / racing engines etc for many years (15+ years) honda started lining their cylinders with nickel way back in the early 90's
Old 01-13-2007, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: joydude630

Will the OS 21VG be faster with a 18 CB?
your engine isn't going to be any quicker with another size CB.

Bigger CB ---> More topspeed , less acceleration
Smaller CB ---> More acceleration , less topspeed

It's a trade-off...
Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Losi8racer

why does everyone think nickel isn't as good as chrome ?... nickel in combination with silicon carbide is much harder then chrome will ever be...it's very hard to scratch a nickasil liner...because it's much harder the concensus is that the pisont will wear quicker, wich is not neccesarily true.

nickasil linings have been used in 2 stroke engines on dirtbikes / racing engines etc for many years (15+ years) honda started lining their cylinders with nickel way back in the early 90's
I dont think any body is questioning the properties of the metals being used. I think the question comes more from, will they work better for this application. Nickasil seems to be getting used in the lower priced engines from OS. If it is superior in their minds, why didnt they use it in the V-spec and the $500+ V-spec speed engine. Our engines turn way more rpm's than dirt bike engines and they are not water cooled. Arent dirt bikes water cooled? When they use it on all their engines, I will then be much more confident in buying one and all I am saying is buyer beware and give it some time cause time will tell.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM

True Nickasil would make a quality lining. Thats not what OS is using in its low end engines.

Ed M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.