Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 R/C Warship Combat >

R/C Warship Combat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

R/C Warship Combat

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Warship Combat

Is there a specific area on RCU set aside for R/C warship combat discussion? If so, I haven't found it. Is there anybody building these anymore? I ran across a few websites, but it seems most are not being updated very often...
Old 01-23-2004, 10:59 PM

Default RE: R/C Warship Combat

Yes we still battle, but during the winter there is not too much activity!!! Rad
Old 01-23-2004, 11:50 PM

If you want to do some back reading, you can find some posts here.

http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/i...0&showforum=26

We invited most clubs we could contact, but no one showed up. So we do our best, not to be to biased, and direct people to their most local clubs.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Building_a_boat/m_1406983/tm.htm](An example from this BBS)[/link]

Aimee

[link=http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/]Queen's Own Scale Combat Warship Club.[/link]
Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 AM

Not TOO far from the topic... what do you build from? I

Is there someplace to download warship hull lines, deck arrangements, etc?

I see the R/C airplane magazines are not full of plans for these... in fact the only ones I recall were Hibbard and Hanley, both in RCM by the same designer... are there cheap plans around? Can you get info from the national archives or some department within the USN?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 PM

Our club, [link=http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/]The Queen's Own,[/link] keeps an archive of the most popular, and best ships for 1/72nd scale, and some for 1/144. Three, actually, four (now that I have built the LST), were sets that I worked up.

Many ship plans can come from either [link=http://www.floatingdrydock.com/]http://www.floatingdrydock.com/[/link] or
[link=http://www.taubmansonline.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi]http://www.taubmansonline.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi[/link]

Taubman handles some of the swampworks plan sets.

I have been to the National archives in Philidelphia, and while I found some great photos for some ships, a lot of "filed work orders" and miscellaneous paper work has to be waded through to even find that much.
Floating Drydock has some "BU" sets that are reproductions of parts of the the original builders plans. These pages along with other plan sets they can offer are typically more than enough to build many ships.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:51 AM

Thanks Aimee --

I used to obsessively spend my time building boats from hull lines, so I'm quite open to the idea that minimal investment gives only minimal information. (In fact I kinda like it that way.) Are the very basic lines, etc. able to be obtained from the national archives any more easily than esoteric details? I've been involved in a precision scale effort where we go tto the point of scale models of each antenna, depth charge rack, chart table, hatch, etc., but I can't see that level of detail for a ship to be campained in actual combat.

I did see Swampworks and Floatingdrdock on the web, so I had an idea they had some good things available, but I was hoping to find pretty basic level stuff -- lines and deck arrangements -- and wondered whether it was out there free or cheap (maybe for dowlaod, while I'm dreaming). Seen anything like that?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:31 PM

Well, Off hand, the only place I know that posts hull lines is

http://www.ptboats.org/

But building a great PT boat is definitely on the top of many peoples build list.
Free is hard to come by, as simple printing costs and postage starts at around
12 dollars for a two sheet model ship plan.

Howard I. Chapelle, "The American Fishing Schooner, 1825-1935" can be found at the public library.
It is almost 2 inches thick, and full of hull lines for these old sailing vessels. I used this book to start two schooners.(which have yet to be finished)

If the library carries any of the "Anatomy of a Ship" series of books then there will be details galore for several WWII Battleships and Cruisers. You can look up this series on Amazon.com if you want to see more specifics.

I did not run across any of the Basic line drawings While I was at the Archives in Philadelphia. I found some references for the Iowa class, The Wisconson, or the Newport News. But I took copies of only the images that I found. There is was so much data in just the micro fische, that it is hard to decipher what you are looking at. Also, at the time the Philidelphia Naval Yard had just been closed, and only recently transfered all their public records to the Archives. So the Archivist there said that even they had not had a chance to record everything they had recieved. She said, "You will be one of the first people to explore these files.".
Kind of a strange concept.

Floating Drydock has a Hull series of plans where you can buy just the lines.
http://www.floatingdrydock.com/HULL.htm
So if you enjoy doing the rest of the research yourself, the hull info can be purchased separately.

Aimee
Old 02-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Thanks again!

I'm going to take a look at my local library ASAP... not sure what to expect but they had a good 3-view set for my Bell XFM-1 (airplane, extremely rare and little known), and I sure didn't expect that. I'm starting to learn the organizational structure of the national archives, too... they remind of of a Huck Finn adventure: I know it's a gold mine, but I haven't seen the gold yet and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find my way back once I do. I've never let go of the old ethic that information is meant to be shared, so if I strike it rich (info wise), one of my first acts will be to try and find ways to make it easy for people to get some of this stuff cheap.

I do have Chapelle's history of the american sailing ship (or name very close to that) book and I've built some boats out of it in the past. Great resource, but not helpful for the present goal--a 1/144 scale r/c combat warship. I originally planned to build something in the WWII era at about 42" long to fit my car, my lifestyle and my esthetic preferences -- but a little math quickly told me that was a bad call -- the WWII U.S. Navy didn't have ships that translate to that size at 1/144 scale. Destroyers were much smaller and cruisers much bigger. Oh, well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...

A question on that -- have I chosen a good scale? I'd like my boat(s) to fit in with a combat group. It looks to me as though the real active groups out there on the web are using 1/144, but I wondered if that's a true reflection of either the web or the real world?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:33 PM

Well my ships, and the club I battle with are strictly 1/72nd scale.

I can only urge you to build a combat ship to the scale of the club most locally active to your area.
It is absolutely no fun to have the one and only combat warship in any scale.
It is much more fun with with more than one.

If 1/144 is nearby, build that scale.
And at that scale, and your size limitations, I would consider some of the light and heavy cruisers.
If you want to be on the good guys side then,
The German Prince Eugen, or The Admiral Hipper, The Italian Zara Class, the Japanese Mogami class, the Yubari, Nachi or Takow class.
The Italian light cruiser Capitani Romani class, or the French La Fantastique, or Mogador.

There the evil allied ships too
Not that I have any preferances...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:30 AM

Thanks again.

I've shopped the internet and checked out all of the pointers I could to clubs in this part of the country... looks like 1/144 is the popular scale wiith one exception -- there is a Maryland-based delegation of the Queen's Own, and they are campaigning 1/72.

A promising resource I spotted yesterday is a book called, appropriately enough, "U.S. Cruisers." My local brach library has requested that via inter library loan. It promises the kind of info needed to design a scale model, so I've got my fingers crossed.

I was sorta thinking I'd start with an American ship for my first combatant -- I hope that's not too offensive Because they didn't build them in the size I wanted, I'm focusing on slightly bigger ships now, but not yet as big as the Eugen or her (his?) sisters. I've been studying the light cruisers (Atlanta class and derivatives), but some of the heavies are pretty attractive ships as well, so I think I'm going to be forced to actually measure my car and see what will fit. I know that almost any airplane wing has to be wedged in or stood on end -- I don't want to do that with a ship model.

OK, enough rambling from the J-Town Ship Yards for now... more inputs always greatly appreciated -- thanks!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:43 AM

If you are really set on building these evil ships, then, the Pensecola class should be close enough to squeeze into the car. Maybe the New Orleans, but the Atlanta is the smallest in the United States cruiser class.

For the British;
The Surrey class fits in that smaller range at 570 feet.
The Southampton and Glouchester class is 558 feet long
The Exeter at 540 feet would be good. It was one of the ships that chased down the Admiral Graf Spee.
The Leander and the Perth class at 522'
The Arethusa class at 480 feet
Edinburgh class579 feet
Dido class 485 feet
Fiji class 538 feet
Bellona class485 feet
Swiftsure and Tiger class 538 feet

Lots of British allied ships fit your size limits.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 AM

Nice selection -- thanks! I didn't have access to much info on the Brits... and their ships aren't as pretty as the Americans' or Germans'. I definitely need to measure the car.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 AM

This bit looks mighty interesting. [8D]
What is this combat boat thing really? A bit similar to Air combating?
These ships dont have real guns, do they?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:55 AM

Well, it's more like slope combat than like control line or regular R/C combat -- because in slope combat you try to physically knock the other plane out of the sky and in Warship combat you try to physically sink the other ship. (Sunken ships are recovered after a battle and many have been battling for ten years or more!)

They do have guns, of a sort -- the ships have special purpose-made BB-cannons that they fire at the 'enemy' ships... each ship has sides that must be able to be penetrated by a BB (at leat for 85 per cent of their length. I think it is a great reason to build a stand-off scale ship.

Here's a nice personal introduction to warship combat: http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/members/rthibault/

And here's an FAQ site: http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/RC/F...SHIPKOMBAT_004
Old 02-17-2004, 12:29 PM

That stand off scale drives me up the wall though.
There is no reason A combat ship can not look good.[8D]

Attached images below in order
My Italian Destroyer Scirocco 16 years ago
The Scirocco last year, with the IJN Tachikaze(built by PMckinney from my plans)
My Italian light cruiser Attillo Regolo( A Capitani Romani class light cruiser)
And MHarter's Admiral Scheer(Fires six .25" ball bearing guns), and two Z-boats.

[link=http://mysite.verizon.net/res1tf1s/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Sciroccosinking.mpg]Oh yeah, and a video of my destroyer in from the 2002 Nationals. I was run over by two destroyers in a fire fight. My ship was back on the water and playing in 8 minutes.[/link]

[link=http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/]Queen's Own Scale Model Warship Club Homepage[/link]
(We make these ships look goood!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49620.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	102025   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44665.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	102026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70125.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	102027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57036.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	102028  
Old 02-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Thats spectaculair stuff right there!
Ive never seen this kind of RC boating before. It must be frustratingly expencive and hard to control/build?
Are the electronics airsealed or something? Dont they get destroyed by water?
I would love to see this water battling for real once, but I dont think theres anything like this back here in the netherlands.
(allthough holland is below sealevel for 90% or so, we dont have much RC boatclubs. [:@] how tarded is that?)

I could go and give it a try, but then there 'd be no one to fight against. [&:]

Bueh... someone order me a flight to america for me and my stuff...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:39 PM

That stand off scale drives me up the wall though.
There is no reason A combat ship can not look good.[8D]
Ouch -- sorry! By stand-off I only meant that I don't think I'd model every chart table, stanchion, or guy wire... a ship should look good and a detail level similar to yours is what I actually had in mind.

Nice lookin' ships!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Well a lot of the 1-144 scale ships seem to have no more than a few
blocks of wood on the deck of their ship. It makes some of them pretty
unrecognizable. I thought that was what you meant by stand off scale.
No not every stantion and chart table is on our ships, but I would like to see
what the new 1-48 scale guys are going to attempt.

Freakazoid
We have been helping a guy in Sweden try to get started.
http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/i...howtopic=20646

Does that bring it any closer. We had one guy from Ireland travel to Gig Harbor, Washington.
He stayed with one of the members there for a week, and went home with a boat.

The initial cost can be expensive, and it is everything but frustrating.
And no harder to control or operate than any other r/c model.
There are some other club links and Videos here.
http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/i...howtopic=11093

As for Water and electronics, here is my sentiments on that.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=153344

Attached images
Italian destoyer firing on an allied ship leaving the harbor gate.
---One of the challenges that occur. is trying to push a disabled and sinking ship
---back thru that gate while under fire.
Heavy Cruisers out to sea.
Fleet combat in Banks, Oregon

Name:	Rp43360.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	102125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96985.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	102126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76472.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	102127  
Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM

A fully armed torpedo sub? You GOT to be kidding me. Thats over the hill NUTS. [&:]

I would really like to try this, but I dont think ive got the wallet and a battle companion for it.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

A fully armed torpedo sub? You GOT to be kidding me. Thats over the hill NUTS. [&:]

I would really like to try this, but I dont think ive got the wallet and a battle companion for it.

Subs Happen, but only just this last year.

Attached images
BCozart's 1-72nd scale German typeII? combat submarine and
Schnell boat.

I forgot the files...[&:]
Also, I have posted the Battle schedules for clubs that have them listed, if you know of any that I can add, let me know.
[link=http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21700&st=0&#entry191118]2004 combat club schedules[/link]

Name:	Sq47534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	102161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31711.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	102162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33632.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	102163  
Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Burger

Is there a specific area on RCU set aside for R/C warship combat discussion? If so, I haven't found it. Is there anybody building these anymore? I ran across a few websites, but it seems most are not being updated very often...
have you come across this website? [link]http://www.swampworks.com[/link] R/C combat warships here are 1/144 scale. I found this site in the RCU scale shipbuilding forum.