Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Speedmaster 21 review >

Speedmaster 21 review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Speedmaster 21 review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Speedmaster 21 review

I have just finished building a Speedmaster 21 hull for my son to race this year. The hull is excellent and sure to be a contender this year in the 21 class! Hull construction is beautiful with a built-in hook in the bottom so that you don't need a turn fin or trim tabs. I set mine up with Speedmaster hardware, a Nova Rossi .21 motor and an Irwin quiet pipe. Follow the easy instructions and you'll have a boat that will scream the first time out. I've tried Octura X-440/3, X640 and X642 props and all work well. The boat ran great on it's maiden voyage with only having to adjust the carb! The only deviation that I did from the plans was to raise the strut 1/8" higher than shown. The only fault that I have found so far is that the radio box lay-up makes the box crooked on the outside making it more difficult to mount. Overall, an unbeatable hull especially for the price, about $85.00 cheaper than it's closest competition! No funny handling tendencies ond could almost cut a square corner! Hopefully I will be posting some action shots this week after a run on Saturday. John Finch is doing an article on this boat for an upcoming RCBM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedmaster 21 review

Can you please tell me the differnce between old style 21 speedmaster and new style 21 speedmaster which people say that it has no need for trim tab or turnfin.Trying to find out what i have new or old???????
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM

Wow, somebody dug up an old posting! The newer ones have a shallower channel on the deck, this was done to make putting MAC engines into easier. The earlier ones had a deeper channel that allowed water to get into the carbs of the MAC's. There are some changes to the bottom also, I think that it's with the strakes.
I still have that boat and the only change was to the engine. The Nova Rossi blew up and was replaced with a Rossi Niagara. OK, that and a few different paint jobs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87553.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	336746  
Old 10-10-2005, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:15 PM

HOW DEEP IS YOUR CHANNEL AND HOW WIDE????MY IS 2 1/8 WIDE BY 3/4 OF A INCH DEEP I THING I HAVE THE OLD STYLE SPEEDMASTER THE NEW ONE CHANNEL IS NOT AS DEEP??
Old 10-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Your hull is the same as mine. I don't know the depth on the newer version but it isn't very deep. The people that ran MAC's in theirs with the early version would make a small "spoiler" in the channel to divert the air and water over the carb.
The boat was originally made with Nova Rossi's in mind and the channel was to help cool the head.
The person who designed this boat is the same one that originally made the Microburst line of boats, Chris Fabbro. He sold those molds to the Showers family then decided to get back into model boating and came out with the Speedmaster 21. He got the OK to use the Speedmaster name from Bill McGraw, the owner of Rossi Sales/Speedmaster Products. There are very few Speedmaster 45's around. Why he didn't go into production on those, I don't know.
There, a quick history lesson.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Thanks again ron your a really big help i appreciate the information you giving me.THANKS?????????????????????????
Old 10-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Ron what do you thing about 21 os rz-m marine engine i got one from a friend of my does it put out good power will it be able to run with mac or a cmb engine???????
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 AM

It's a good engine but won't keep up with the high-dollar ones. The MAC is a high revver that needs a smaller prop like the X-437 and X-438. My friends CMB seems to be able to pull larger props that what I can with my Rossi so I'd say that his has more torque. On any given day it's hard to say which can be faster, it's to me the person that happens to have theirs dialed in the best plus driving skill.
I could have put a MAC in mine but the person that I buy a lot of my parts from had the Rossi sitting there and gave me a deal that was too good to pass up. I haven't been disappointed.
Put the OS in now if you want to then later on you can always upgrade.
My Speedmaster 21 has been one of the best boats that I've owned. On its first run, all it needed was a minor carb adjustment.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM

I have a 21 mac in my seaducer sd2 it runs strong!!!!This os engine i have i got it from a friend of mine he say that it runs great i dont know much about it,i guess i can always upgrade if iam not happy with it..THANK AGAIN RON!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:37 PM

Nice looking boat!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks. That's at least the 4th paint job that I've done on that boat. I went outside the "rules" by painting it black, that's why I put the large decals on the sides. I had one of "Chameleon" paint jobs on it but it all but disappeared on the back stretch at a race. The paint wasn't fuelproof either.