Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to RC boats

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC boats

Hi All,

I figured this might be a good place to start. I live New England (MA) and am not much for winter sports. I used to build full size sail boats when I was a teenager, and have been messing around with RC planes and heli's for a while. So I decided it was time to try a boat. So due to the large amounts of time I have in the winter. I've decided to make a custom boat from scratch.

I am thinking plywood construction, based around a scaled down 50's all ply ski boat called "The Missle". A 20-32cc 2 cycle line trimmer engine. I am thinking the boat will be around 36-48'. 4 bearing stuffing box. Some form of water cooling for the engine and clutch. Perhaps a custom tuned pipe.

Anyhow as I am trying to apply full scale knowledge to the RC world. I need some tip from those who build RC boats. Good sources of information for CG, cooling, and general best practises.

I am not looking for blistering speed, this is just a fun project to get me through the winter and enjoy some time by the lake with my family next year.

Cheers

DD

P.S. Australian born, US resident for 5 years!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:15 AM

Default RE: New to RC boats

I do not know alot about building them, but thay are sure fun to use, I bought mine.. I am in Mass 3 or 4 days a week, as a matter of fact I have to goto the Salem Home Depot this week..
Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 AM

I though about buying a used boat to get me into the swing, but I am actually craving the building of the boat as much as I am the running.

I grew up in a remote part of Australia where if you want some thing you build it! Right now I am enjoying the craft involved in all ply construction and researching the methods.

As things progress I'll post updates for those who might be interested.

Jared1106, what brings you to Home depot in Salem this week? Do you run your boat in MA at all, or mostly in ME? I'd be interested in seeing your boat some time. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Cheers

DD
Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 AM

'DD',
The 'little ones' are basically the same as the 'big ones', so you have an advantage in having done the 'big ones' before. The biggest differences would be in the strength of materials needed. Where you'd have to use 1/2" ply in a large boat, probably 1/16" ply would still be a bit of 'over kill' in a model. More a matter of what's available, sort of (1/64" ply is kinda hard to find! LOL). 'Close' and still 'too big' isn't necessarily a bad thing (except for weight). Not much help, but...
- 'Doc

PS - Never invite a woman in highheels to ride in your birch bark cannue...
Old 09-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Doc,

I was thinking the same ideas, pretty much just scaling as I go. As it turns out this will be an ADlib project and I'll be forming it up from scratch.

All information is good Doc, thanks for the reply.

Now I just need to awaken the boat builder I put to sleep 10 years ago when I stopped racing ply saling cats...

Once again, I'll post major updates as I go along.

Cheers

Dizzy Dingo
Old 09-20-2004, 11:22 PM

just wondering what type of boat you like where you are at
im into airboats they are a blast to make & run are fairly easy to make
from simple foam boats to fancy swamp buggy to speed boats
most everyone i know use 1/4 or less 3 ply plywood
i use what we call door skins mostly mahgony
looks good stain & clear coated or whatever you like
air boats mite not be your thing but check http//www.rcairboats.net
you mite get some good building tips there cause alot of us airboat ppl build from scratch
with a flatbottom air boat we run year round snow & ice is a blast
good luck boatman
Old 09-21-2004, 08:03 AM

thanks Boatman!

Looking for a traditional clasic inboard speed boat. However i'll check out the air boats. I made a cat air prop boat years ago, it was alot of fun. I used a Deisel non-rc engine, so it was FLAT out until the gas ran out. Looked bad too with a three blade prop!

Cheers

DD