Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 carburator and pressure tap >

carburator and pressure tap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

carburator and pressure tap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburator and pressure tap

hi,

i have 2 K&B outboard engine and one goes on a catamaran and thte other is a deep V. i was wondering, i have talked to quite a bit of people and they all say that putting an air filter on the carburator wasn't necessary but the thing is when i don't put it, water enters through the carb and floods it and stoping the engine mid way in the water. if i do put it on, it soaks up water and does the same so i've wrapped a piece of plastic on the underside of the air filter to not let in the water. what am i supposed to do in this case? i don't want to put the filter on but the engine sits low in the water and i've set it to the setting that sets the engine as high as possible on the boat. any suggestsions?

also, i was looking on k&B's site and thtey said that there's a pressure tap port and you connect it to the pressure vent on the fuel tank and that way it will maximize fuel and engine capacity. is this is wise move? i mean wouldn't the gases from the exhaust move through the tube and into the fuel tank to put more pressure into the fuel tank? i'm not too sure and any help is appreciated. thanks

also on the deep v, there's a radio box in the middle of an opened compartment. the radio box is water tight but there'ss no top over the compartment. (driver's spot if it were a real speed boat, in the back) should i put a cover over it or will you think that keeping it out and open is fine? i'm worried about the radio box flooding or going under if the boat flips because i hear that deep v's flip alot. any ideas? and if i should put a totp on, what should i make it out of?

thankss everyone!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: carburator and pressure tap

Neither of these hulls were made for outboards so the motors may still be to low. A quick way to check is to see if the centerline of the prop shaft is slightly (around 1/16-1/8") above the bottom of the boats. I ran K&B 3.5's and 7.5's for years without the problems that you are having, no air filters either.
The pressure does not increase fuel capacity, it works as a fuel pump by pressurizing the tank to push the fuel up to the carb, a neccessity if the tank sits low in the hull. It could be also that your motors are stalling due to a lack of fuel feed as the carb alone can't pull enough fuel upwards.
If your radio box is water-tight, there is no need to add a cover over the open area unless you want to for a cleaner look to your boats.