Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
newbie question k&b 3.5 wont start >

newbie question k&b 3.5 wont start

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

newbie question k&b 3.5 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question k&b 3.5 wont start

Can anyone give me any pointers on getting one to start. I bought a used 3.5 outboard on ebay and cant get it to start. I know next to nothing about these motors but tried by hooking up fuel to carb and pressure line from exhaust to fuel cell also. motor is getting fuel. hooked up glow plug end nothing not a pop or sputter. i noticed that when i turn over the motor by hand it is extremely hard to turn over. not just from compression (it will do it with the plug out). when motor is toward the top of sleeve it gets REALLY tight to the point that it makes a squeek. should this be? Im really clueless(LOL) and would really appreciate some help.sorry this is soo long.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:28 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its still tight at TDC then you got a good deal. Nearly all ABC type engines are tight at top dead center when new. After you run the engine a bit it will loosen up and the motor will run faster. If the starter it having trouble turning the engine over, loosen the plug a half turn or so. This will let some compression out but the engine will still run, just remember to tighten it right away.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:36 PM

That is cool to hear Unfortunately i still cant get the thing to start. Ive tried everything i can think of. Is 15% nitro with a caster syn blend ok? Im starting to wonder if i need higher nitro content?
Tahnks again all
Old 09-08-2002, 07:52 PM

Hey, you probably know this, but, is your starter going the right way? On my 3.5 I have to reverse the polarity on my starter
Old 09-08-2002, 09:07 PM

Ya it took me a minute (lucky it didnt start) to realize that i needed to do the same lol
Old 09-08-2002, 10:08 PM
My Feedback: (54)

i take it you tried the basics,making sure the glow plug is good,did you try blowing into the pressure hose to see if fuel is moving feely through the intake hose?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:19 AM

Ya i tried that too. The only thing i can think of is When i first got it (its been sitting for a while) I took it apart and cleaned it all up inside i even got the piston insert out. could i have maybe put it in wrong? Maybe 180 degrees backwards. i wasnt sure how it went back in and didnt find any marks to show how it was supposed to be. i really though i had it back in correctly but maybe not. Im thinking of trying a higher nitro content fuel also could that be the problem? I do very much appreciate all the suggestions hopefully ill get it eventually.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:09 AM

I know that K&Bs like the high nitro, but mine ran pretty good on 10%. Your plugs not to long is it? That would bung you up. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I used to to be sponsored by K&B. Which engine do you have? Is it an outboard? Is it a rear drum rotor? Or is it the front inducted engine. Yes K&B like high nitro, but that is not the answer to your problem. Running 25 percent would be a good starting point for a break in. If you decide to go to higher nitro the head will need to be clearanced for the high nitro. Are you running a carb or an exhaust throttle? Let me know and maybe I can give you some of the answers. You can email me at [email protected]
Old 09-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It can't be a rear drum rotor if it's on an outboard! Check your sleeve to see if you did put it in backwards. It should be easy to tell by looking into the exhaust port. I used to run mine with 40-50% nitro. Make sure to use a fuel with 20% oil content. Check to see that the needle is about 3-1/2 turns out, too rich and it won't start either. If it is an older motor, sometimes the fuel nipple on the carb reaches too far in and blocks the flow, just place a thin washer in between the carb and nipple to cure this. The 3.5 engines take the long plug, use an MC-9 or 59 plug or a K&B HP-1. Don't try to use an idle bar plug or one made for a plane.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:37 PM

It is a 3.5 outboard with a carb on it. it is black (the carb). Im unsure of the age as ive had it some time and i got it second hand. Is there a way to tell howe old it is? the carb only seems to have two adjustments on it. idle speed and the side needle. i checked the sleeve and it appears to be in correctly. ill try the washer thing and get some better nitro. Though it will be probably the middle of next week before i can get to the shop. ill also pick up one of the plugs you all talked of. the ones i have are all os and traxxas. hot and medium temp. should the carb have that little hole on the bottom of it where the fuel is spilling out? it looks like it but none of my friends plane motors have it.
Thanks again guys.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:50 AM

If your still having problems starting tis engine here is my advice. Close the needle all the way. Turn it to about 3-31/2 turns. Loosen the plug and than put the glow plug adapter on it. Now spin the engine. If it SCREAMS it's to lean, turn the needle out. If it booogs down it's to fat, turn the needle in. If it doesn't idle adjust the low end. The black carb has two settings.
Also are you getting fuel to the engine? Before starting the boat, fill the tank and remove the plug. Spin it and at the same time your spinning the engine prime the carb by putting your finger over the barrel. Wait a couple of seconds and take your finger off. If fuel comes your in business. If not you have a bad tank. K&B engines love high nitro. Go about 40-55% nitro. Use McCoy 9 plugs.
If you think you assembled the engine wrong. The rod should have a small lube mark. That goes towards the carb. That should help you get some alignment.
Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This problem came up on another site recently (www.intlwaters.com) and the guy found out that it wasn't his motor but his starter, it wasn't cranking the motor fast enough to fire it!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:58 PM

Default That's Funny!

I did a whole lot of typing for nothing. Oh well. Maybe it'll be useful for someone else. :stupid:
Old 10-05-2002, 07:01 PM

Hey guys thanks for the reply. i was the one on the outboard forum and this is me as well. I did finally get my problem figured out as you said and im sorry for not posting on here that i did get it fixed. I kinda forgot about it. I truely am sorry. But again thanks guys. Im taking the boat out for the first time on sunday
Here is a picture of "my new" 15 year old boat that i fixed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28942_14135.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	15832  
Old 10-07-2002, 09:06 PM

Default it's running

so don't keep us in SUSPENCE what was wrong??? my nieghbor had the same problem.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:14 PM

the starter i was using was a gear reduction starter and simply was not turning ever the motor fast enough. i got a sullivan starter and she runs VERY well. I took it our on sunday and had a blast until i got my radio gear wet oops. The boat seemed to fly and it handled very well.