Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

how to gelcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to gelcoat?

I need to give a fiberglass boat, a smooth and lasting finish, and I was thinking about gelcoat... but what how and where about it?
Thanks all.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:08 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default how to gelcoat?

If you have a fiberglass boat is is already gelcoated. If not, it must be epoxy-glass. For a fiberglass boat I recommend a polyester primer such as Evercoat Featherfill (less expensive) or, for an epoxy-glass boat use, an acrylic urethane primer such as PPG K-38 (more expensive). Gelcoat will add unnecessary weight. You can use the K-38 on fiberglass also, but don't use a polyester primer on epoxy. Always wear a respirator and spray only in a VERY well-ventilated area.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 PM

Default how to gelcoat?

One thing that needs to be understood about Gel-Coat, it is designed to be applied (first!!!) in a mold & NOT !!! after something is (laied up).
Gel-Coat will never look the same when applied last as when it is used as it was intended to be - FIRST !
I have worked on full scale fiberglass boats & have done the Gel-Coating in the molds & repairs on others & the repair never looks as good as the original.
If you ever get a chance to be near a boat mold when a (part) is (pulled) .. your hair will stand straight up from 4' away! LOTS of static elec.!!! & I believe this is what draws some of the .... (shine) ? to the mold surface it's self.
Gel-Coat, when sprayed on the (outside) looks like **** !!! & keep in mind you will need to apply 3/16" of this stuff to be able to wet sand the surface smooth & still have a teener of finish left on your boat.
Also, Gel-Coat that is done last tends to be (pourus) Lots of tiny little holes. Use the automotive epoxy primmers & basecoat / clearcoats & some help from a friend who has used them & you can create a masterpiece!