Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Might get into boats >

Might get into boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Might get into boats

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might get into boats

Ok, I got a rc heli and car. Every time I ride my bike past the river I just think "Maaan if only I had a rc boat" I was wondering which boat I should get.

I'd probably need one with good turning because the river isent that wide.

I was also wondering: Doesent the boat always get stuck in the water then you cant get it back ??

And is rc boats easy. I mean getting started/care/after care/cost etc.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Might get into boats

Boats are fun as evidenced by all of the boaters that we have in here but a few words of caution. Running on a river isn't safe and I can tell you from personal experience. I had a boat jump a bank from a pond to a river and I had to chase it down. A river moves a lot faster than they appear to so you can lose a boat quickly. Rowing upstream is no picnic either.
Seeing how you already have a helicopter and car, boats are close but a little different. You probably have a lot of things from those that you can use for a boat so that will save you some money there.
What are you looking for in the way of a boat? Hull type and powerplant?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Whats hulltype and powerplant ?? :P
Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

do you want a deep v/mono? cat? hydro? crackerbox?

Like Ron said... rivers can have currents that move faster then it looks. This is no place you want a boat to be if something happens and it cant come back to shore on its own power....well, unless you like running or driving down next to the river trying to get in front of boat to catch it [X(]

Then again, there are rivers that are pretty calm in alot of areas

Is the river the only place you have to run within a reasonable distance you're willing to travel?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Kevin,
Boat hulls can be divided into two very large categories, "go fast" and "go slower". Each of those categories can be broken down into who knows how many different kinds! The 'hull type' generally refers to the shape of the hull, and it's general purpose. Think of all the different kinds of boats you've ever seen, and sort of pick one out that you think you'd like to start with.
Then there's the power plant thingy, what makes them move. They can range from rubber bands, to electric motors, to gasoline/diesel/nitro engines to sails. All kinds of reasons to choose one over the other, more or less just depends on what you like and can afford (the afford part is the biggy!). When considering the power plant you also have to consider what makes them 'go', as in fuel, batteries, battery chargers, wind, etc, etc.
Sheesh, ain't as simple as it seemed, is it? But it's not all that difficult or complicated either. Just takes some getting used to it, and generally knowing something about the whole thing, and you've also got a head start because of the heli's and cars. Lots of that stuff will apply to boats too, sort of.
And, just like the heli's and cars, the whole idea is to enjoy it. So, enjoy it!
- 'Doc
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should get a thundercat 31 from proboat
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

on a river you need electric so you can tell when the battery is going to give out and you can bring it to shore.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Well, I have decided to wait with the boat. I think my car+heli is enough for the moment. But if I would get one it would probably be a electric seeing as I am having problems with my nitro car.

Thank you everyone for posting help