Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 i need suggestions on modding a boat >

i need suggestions on modding a boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

i need suggestions on modding a boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need suggestions on modding a boat

i have a boat like this that takes reg batteries i want to do away with only a two channel radio i want to totally redo this one for speed and lightness please post back soon

http://www.target.com/Simba-Remote-C...20boats&page=1
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: i need suggestions on modding a boat

This is a toy grade boat and not much you can do with it . If you want to go fast get a hobby grade boat and start from there .
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 AM

droofe,
Going only from what little information in the ad, I think you really have your work cut out for you. I wouldn't say it will be totally impossible, but it ain't gonna be easy, or cheap.
There are a few things that sort of 'stick-out' as not being the 'best'. It's not a very large boat, so the first requirement is to sort of 'think small', it that makes sense. It also appears that about all that you will be able to use is the hull. The external motor-pod isn't good, typically means the motor is 'wet', and that means a short life span. No idea what the motor is, how 'powerful'. (I would bet that it isn't exactly 'too much' motor for the hull by any stretch of the imagination.) It also appears that the motor-pod is also used for steering instead of a rudder. Nothing really 'wrong' with that, but it isn't going to be fast because of all the 'drag' that pod will produce. Think about moving the motor inside the hull and adding a rudder.

Price is probably the worst indication of how 'good', 'fast', or 'agile' any particular boat will turn out. But, considering the price, and where it's sold, this is a "toy" boat NOT made for much except for playing around, sort of (really bad way of saying it, but I don't know how else to say it). If the idea is to 'play around' with it and not to seriously make it 'fast', it's a pretty good deal. (Did you notice that the same basic hull with several other above deck styles were in the ad?) I honestly think 'fast' isn't going to be easy, simple, or cheap to do with this particular boat. Sorry about 'raining on your parade'. What the #3||, try it! It's not like I really know what I'm talking about... I'm just lazy and cheap.
- 'Doc
Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 AM

The guy's are giving you good pointers and I also don't want to say it cannot be done, everything can be done but there's always a price tag.

it comes down to how much money do you want to spend?

how fast do you wanna go or would like to go?

how much money do you want to spend and did I mention how much money you want to spend?

being a $25.00 dollar hull, you would need a new motor, a mount for your motor, cooling, rudder, strut, flex cable or hard shaft, coupler, new prop, battery pack(s), ESC, did I miss anything?

all together you may be better off buying something like the BL SV 27, it will be much faster, bigger and a lot more fun and worth upgrading.

Dan.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: droofe

i have a boat like this that takes reg batteries i want to do away with only a two channel radio i want to totally redo this one for speed and lightness please post back soon

http://www.target.com/Simba-Remote-C...20boats&page=1

can u post pics of boat's inside and hull bottom?.so we have idea of the stock set-up.....i love goofing things like that
Old 06-29-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like it just needs a new hull, motor, drive train and electronic re-fit. Should go well then.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM

How much $$$ you got?