Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 silicone implants >

silicone implants

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

silicone implants

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silicone implants

Made you look, but seriously I wanted to know if I can take the circuits that are in the protective box out of the box and just cover them with Silicone to save space and weight? Does anyone know if that would mess up the circuit board?
Thanks again for your help!
Onion
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 AM

Default RE: silicone implants

Hmmm, questionable title [&:]. Anyway ok with me.
When I was into nitro monster trucks, ok still play with them..I used to actually dip the pc board of the receiver into a product called Plasti Coat or something like that. Usually sold at hardware stores for dipping the handles to hand tools into for better grip I guess. Never had an issue even when I hit large puddles...totally intentionally! Before I did this, I lost 2 receivers due to water. It creates a sort of thick water tight rubber barrier. Haven't done it in a while though. Other opinions on this subject would be nice.

-Scott
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM

'Coating' a circuit board isn't as simple as it may sound, there are a few "got'cha's" you should think about. On almost all receivers there are connections that need to be made/unmade at one time or another (servo slots, for one, crystals for another). If you can figure a way to be able to do that, then great. Another "got'cha" is that whatever you use to do that 'coating' has to be compatible with what it's 'coating'. Most silicon sealants that I've used have had a sort of vinegar smell to them. That odor means that they contain an acid, and it will eventually 'eat' anything metal that it coats, and can become conductive under the right circumstances.
Of course, if you have to have it worked on for some reason, the one doing the work isn't gonna be too happy with a receiver being 'coated'. And while I haven't asked, I would bet that the warranty just flew out the window, sort of. So, if you get around those thingys, it'll probably work okay.
- 'Doc
Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM

I love Plastic Dip, I forgot all about that option. THanks for the input and the insight on silicone and it's corrosive nature.
Onion
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Before I "dipped" I added short extension wires to the receiver so I could completely seal everything in place and still be able to swap servos if needed. The crystal was also completely submerged in the Plastic dip.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Die-electric grease. Its found at any autoparts store and is usually put on the end of auto bulbs before you hook them up. Completely electrical-safe and displaces moisture/water. I fill all my 2.4gig receivers with it and so far has worked as expected. I also squirt it in the ends of servo leads and in the on/off switch. Its good stuff.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: webdr

Die-electric grease. Its found at any autoparts store and is usually put on the end of auto bulbs before you hook them up. Completely electrical-safe and displaces moisture/water. I fill all my 2.4gig receivers with it and so far has worked as expected. I also squirt it in the ends of servo leads and in the on/off switch. Its good stuff.

+1 die-electric grease is the way to go, it solves all your problems and if need be you cn clean it up. plus you can retain the ability to plug and unplug things into the rx with protected conections. its great stuff
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM

You can also get circuit board sealer in a spray can, pull the case off, plug in your leads & coat the circuit board. You can use the servo wires to hang it from till it dries.

Another method I use is to coat the circuit board in epoxy resin. I use a fine brush & paint it on being careful not to get any on the servo prongs.