Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Controller Issues On Gas RC Boat >

Controller Issues On Gas RC Boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Controller Issues On Gas RC Boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controller Issues On Gas RC Boat

The last few times out with my 26cc gas boat I am able to run one tank of fuel through it before it starts acting up. The boat will be running straight and all of the sudden turn hard left. This will go on for a few minutes when it will all of the sudden lock up in the left turn position. The controller and receiver have brand new batteries and the steering servo is brand new. Any ideas on what would be causing this???

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Controller Issues On Gas RC Boat

This is the first question anybody is going to ask you, what radio system? In a gas boat also things like what spark plug are you using?
If it's an AM radio, they're not the system of choice. A non-resistor spark plug will give you a lot of interference.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM

The boat is an e bay special from Japan but ran great last year and the beginning of this year. The specs. are below.

Spark Plug NGK BPMR7A

Radio HCLJT-1 AM2

Receiver HCLJTR-1 AM2 27MHZ

Engine 26cc Gas
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM

ok,
I checked the plug on the NGK site just to make sure and it is a resistor plug.

Radio being a 27Mhz AM is not a very good choice (yes some people have no problems).

Check to make sure you have no metal to metal contact that can cause the interference.

also the steering servo could very well be the source of all problems, can you give us some details on the steering servo.
it may very well be a cheap servo and although it worked fine last year it could be tired this year (torque is too low and now cannot handle the rudder in position anymore).

I just noticed that you said the steering servo was brand new, does this means you replaced it?
and if that is the case, what did you put on?

Dan.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

try replacing the plug with new - sometimes resistors can go bad and provide weird issues - yours may have issue as it warms up. Simple to try and will cost a few $$

Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Darn, forgot that one.

Dan.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM

I just put in a TACTIC TSX200 as the original servo which came with the boat and controller listed above was getting weak. I put the new servo in and the boat seems fine until it warms up. I do have a new Autolite2974 plug that I can try. What do you guys think....servo or spark plug?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Also if you are curious I listed an e - bay link below to my boat although mine has the American Flag paint job on it.

Any ideas of a good prop upgrade for this also?

Thanks for everyones help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Challenger-P1-Of...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Check the plug carefully for hairline cracks. Grease the flex cable well as you can pick up interference there easily. Metal-to-metal rubbing could happen as things warm up from expansion but I'd see a lower chance there yet is a possibility. Sometimes it can be the thing that you'd least suspect. Power switches have been known to do weird things.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Also after this happened and I got the boat back on the stand I found that the servo was locked up even when the boat was not running. I would turn the radio off and the boat power switch and recenter the rudder. After turning the power back on on the boat the servo stayed centered until of course you turn the radio on.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM

I cannot find any specs on the TSX 200 servo (not a good sign).

Don't use the Autolite 2974 plug, it is not a resistor plug, if you want to know if an autolite plug is a resistor plug, the 3rd number must be an even number.

The correct power up procedure for any radio system is Tx "on" than Rx "on", shut down is the opposite, Rx "off" than Tx "off"
I doubt that it will change anything at this time as it seems that you may have a bad Rx or Tx.

A prather 270 prop may be an upgrade.

Dan
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Does Rx stand for Radio and Tx stand for receiver? Also it sounds like I should stick with the Champion plug that the boat came with. Any ideas on good servos I should switch over to?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Tx=Transmitter, Rx=Receiver.
Champion plug huh? Those are one of the first things tossed on gas boats. Get a NGK CMR7H plug. Most big chain auto parts stores have them either in stock or can get them quickly. There is also a number, 3066 on the box.

Dan, I've got an idea that the servo is the same as a Futaba 3003.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Should I get an NGK plug and try it first or should I order some servos and if so what kind. I run this boat really hard and have flipped it over at least a dozen times which I know has not helped this situation out but I always take the enclosure box apart and dry everything out. I almost have more fun messing with this boat than my Sunsation!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM

The plug is definitely worth a shot, especially if it has gotten wet when hot. Champions have been known to shatter the insulator when the boat has flipped. It's a $4-5.00 fix and you're going to need to replace the plug anyway or have a spare handy.
Sometimes it's just a process of elimination to find out what it isn't before hitting on what the problem is.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all of your help. Does your group have get togethers ever? I am not too far from you as I live in Northwest, IN.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 AM

SC288,
according to your last statement, you said that it does this with the engine turned "OFF" also, if that is the case it is not an interference coming from the engine or the plug (I would however still get a couple of NGK CMR7H).
I am starting to favor a radio problem, if you have a spare Tx and Rx (or know someone that has one) I would do a quick switch for trouble shooting purpose.
Personaly I would invest in a better radio system (FM or Marine recommended 2.4Ghz).

if the TSX 200 servos are like a Futaba S3003 than it only gives 57oz/in of torque which is not enough for steering.
I have just read that the metal gears of the Futaba 3305 fit the TSX 200, the 3305's have 124oz/in which is better than 57 however, those TSX 200 sound like a cheap copy and being the case, am pretty sure they don't have that much torque.

one last point, get yourself some Corosion X and spray the circuit board of all your servos, including the Receiver and the switch, this will save you a lot of headache and money.

Dan
Old 07-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Any suggestions on a radio/receiver/servo all in one combo that I could get into fairly cheap? I made a mistake in one of my earlier posts when I stated I was running a Champion plug. I am running the NGK BPMR7A. I will however upgrade to the rec. plug.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM

SC, you just missed a fun event on the 4th in Valpo but it sounded like they had rain but still made the most of the day.
If you want to just spectate, there is a BIG race coming up in mid-September in Hobart. I plan on being there for a day or two myself. Entries have been full for months and over $12,000.00 in prizes are to be given out. Yeah, no typo.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

SC, you just missed a fun event on the 4th in Valpo but it sounded like they had rain but still made the most of the day.
If you want to just spectate, there is a BIG race coming up in mid-September in Hobart. I plan on being there for a day or two myself. Entries have been full for months and over $12,000.00 in prizes are to be given out. Yeah, no typo.
Do you know where I can find more info. on this? Also what types of boats will be racing?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM

From the IMPBA site:

Sep 18
to
Sep 20 HOBART, IN
09-032R - INDY MODEL BOAT CLUB
“Indy-Masters at Hobart” to be held at Lake George in the City of Hobart Water Park, 3rd & Main Street, 46342. CLASSES: Stock RTR; B, D, E, F Hydro; Open Mono;Sport 20 & 40; 1/8 Scale; Open Tunnel; B Sport Tunnel; Open Gas; Gas Kat; Classic Thunderboat; Multi Engine Hydro; Unlimited. Racers can step up 1 engine size to make a class. 6 boats to make the famous GREEN JACKET classes. 4 rounds for all classes except the Multi Engine. Pre-registration is required, race time 8:30AM. It is REQUIRED that you have the ability to change frequency. Class winners will receive the coveted "Green Jacket Award". CD: Bruce Jacobs, (317) 727-8769 email [email protected] Make check payable to Indy Model Boat Club. See flyer for map, hotel and race format explanation. 3 day race starts on Friday.

It's going to be a Who's Who of racers from the list of entries that I've seen so far.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Either the servo you installed is not waterproof, or something that used to be water proof no longer is.

Wet components can act like yours are.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: lawnhawk

Either the servo you installed is not waterproof, or something that used to be water proof no longer is.

Wet components can act like yours are.

Ditto.... My money is on the RX (I have had the same thing happen).
Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Think interference. RC works like this - information is sent in blocks 50 time per second. Each block consists of a string of pulses followed by a bit of quiet. Any signal turning up in the quiet bit that can be translated by the RX as a pulse will be directed to channel 1, normally the steering. Quite likely this will cause the servo to drive in one particular direction.
It worked OK last year, but is acting up this year, so suspect something worn giving metal to metal rubbing generating static. It might need a tankfuls-worth of running to warm up enough to have an effect.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mfr02

Think interference. RC works like this - information is sent in blocks 50 time per second. Each block consists of a string of pulses followed by a bit of quiet. Any signal turning up in the quiet bit that can be translated by the RX as a pulse will be directed to channel 1, normally the steering. Quite likely this will cause the servo to drive in one particular direction.
It worked OK last year, but is acting up this year, so suspect something worn giving metal to metal rubbing generating static. It might need a tankfuls-worth of running to warm up enough to have an effect.

Guys... it is NOT interference IF it doesnt happen when the boat & engine are NOT running.... something I'm missing here???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.