Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Cat or not? electric or gas? >

Cat or not? electric or gas?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Cat or not? electric or gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat or not? electric or gas?

I am interested in a boat for under 120 dollars but can be used ( if i can find on ebay ) Is there much difference between catamarans and cigar boats besides stability? I want as much speed for that price. ( Iwill be using for fishing and need to be able to out fight fish. ) Any brands I should look into or exact models? Please leave some input.

Thanks so much.

Edit: I would want gas because I can just refill instead of waiting for it to charge. But if Ican get electric for cheaper or faster thats perfectly fine.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Default RE: Cat or not? electric or gas?

guys cmon don't leave me hanging....
Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 PM

120 is not going to get you much of a boat, and i doubt it will catch any fish for you. a good gas boat will cost you $1000 or more. i just got a nemesis cat from dreamin hemi(boat mod on here), and i have over $1400 into it and it's not done yet
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 PM

......I'm a kid... I don't have loose hundred dollar bills lyin around. Does anyone know a half decent boat for no more than $125? Ijust want something besides a chunk of floating plastic..
Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Its a sad fact of life that you very rarely get more than what you pay for, but if you are not careful, you will get less than what you paid for.
High performance is generally expensive. Good boats are not cheap. Large high performance boats are a money shaped hole in water, and you dont even have to fold the money before you throw it in.
The most economical way of getting a large high performance boat, short of larceny, is to build your own. Theres quite a bit of learning to do, but at the end of it, you have not only a boat, but a new set of skills.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 AM

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

......I'm a kid... I don't have loose hundred dollar bills lyin around. Does anyone know a half decent boat for no more than $125? I just want something besides a chunk of floating plastic..
i'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know the facts. even a good nitro will run you somewhere around $400, and you will still need all the support equipment. try looking at some smaller electric boats, and forget about trying to catch fish with it. if you want to fish buy a fishing pole, and you could also use the pole to recover your boat when the batts die.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Hate to burst your bubble, but it sounds like you need to start saving your allowance a while longer. You need to be realistic. No way will you be able to get in to hobby-quality boating for the price you are looking to pay. Nitro boats start in the $300 range and gasoline power starts at about $1,000 and up from there like mentioned above.

Here is a link to some boats from Tower Hobbies that you MAY be interested in. www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0515p

Thing is, you still need more accessories to go along with it such as battery packs, radios, one still needs a nitro engine (another $200+). The boats we "play" with here can't be found at your local Toys "R" Us, or other toy store. If your budget is firm for the price you mentioned, this is where you may have to go. Just being straight up with you.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are some:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMPE7**&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXKGP2**&P=ML

They are rtr and have digital proportional speed and steering (hobby grade), thats about what you can get for $120.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks guys, I was finding some hobby grade used rc cars in that price range on Ebay and in the trade section here. Didn't know if boats would run a little bit cheaper. The fishing is just a fun idea because I saw some videos on youtube. Being a big fisherman, offshore as well as inshore, I thought it would be fun to see what rc boat vs. bass or trout would be like. Thanks for the help guys. I realize I am unfortunately not ready for a nice boat or car but will keep trying.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Good news the boats at tower hobbies are looking good for me. Idon't know if they are anything like higher quality electric boats but they look good to me.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XUYD4&P=TS

What do you guys think about this wooden hydroplane boat... It has a little outboard motor

The video makes it look pretty fast... Whats the differences between hydroplanes and mono hulls?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM

stackeddeck,

the boat you are looking at is not an hydroplane but the VS1 tunnel hull (fast little tunnel), the price you see there is without the engine and the radio.

the little engine you see on the back is this puppy:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBY98&P=7

Dan
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM

That is a neat little engine... I was in a rush so Ididn't realize the tunnel boat didn't come with it..

Can i just bolt that little engine to any rc.. hehe That makes me wanna build one..
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Ok.. if i want to build a boat with this engine.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXBY98&P=7

what else do I need?

This is what the website says it includes: (by the way engine is $30)

<pre>INCLUDES: One Assembled 21XM Marine Outboard Engine w/Mount, Outdrive Unit, Muffler, Water-Cooled Head, Starter Cone, Steering Bracket, and #20J Carb. One Throttle Linkage Holder (OSMG9065) One Water Pick-Up Tubing One Fuel Pressure Tubing One #8 Glow Plug (OSMG2691) One Propeller (OSMG7915)what else do Ineed besides a boat, radio system, and fuel?</pre>nitro? where do i buy nitro?

a fuel pump?

is it impossible to bolt that baby on a boat as an amatuer hobbyist?

what kind of radio system would I buy?

Would this be cheaper then buying an already assembled boat?

can you buy the hulls of boats to put the motor on yourself?

If you are bored feel free to answer these questions..

Thanks guys... rc are really interesting little toys and you guys are helping me learn alot about them. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM

go and look at the engine again,
the price on the engine is $328.98, minus the $30 rebate offer that you see at top left corner.

Tx, Rx, servos, batteries for the Rx and Tx, fuel tubing, fuel tank, radio box, servo trays, spare glow plug, glow driver, fuel pump to refuel the tank, starter, a better prop.
etc.etc.

Dan.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.... sorry I am an idiot sometimes...

I am now looking for a cheap motor ...

and what is tx, rx, servos, and the glow stuff?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Tx is the Transmitter (radio),
Rx is the receiver,
servo's are that, servo's. you need a minimum of 2, one for controlling the throttle and one for the Rudder (inboard engine) to make the boat turn left and right or turn the whole engine (outboard) left and right.

Glow driver, is put on the glow plug to energize the little coil inside of it so it can ignite the Nitro fuel.
even if you where to put a boat together yourself, it will not be possible to do it on a budget of $125.

cheapest engine you could get (new) is around $125 (inboard),
best entry level radio on 2.4Ghz (no crystals, no channels, no worries) is $79 without servo's, $50 to $100 for 2 decent servo.
you may get a used hull for about $100 but that may be without the hardware like engine mount, fuel tank, rudder, flex cable, Props, strut, turn fin or turn fins (if needed, it depends of type of boats), and a few more.

you can see that the price does go up pretty quick.
not trying to discourage you, just saying that maybe you need to wait a bit more, put more money aside and when you get $300 or more have a look and let us know what you found.
it will be easier to guide you.

Dan.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Wow, scratch the build it myself idea...

ill sit it everything for a while

thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Keep an eye out in the scratch & dent section on tower hobbies. You may pick up something in there like the Aquacraft SV27 at a reduced price. I think at the moment that is your best bet, but you will still need to save a little more.

there's a few in there now.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTS1000p?&C=B
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Wow scratch and dent area is awesome... I am thinkin bout getting the Aquacraft Mini Rio or Mini Thunder... both are 110 bucks and RTR seen youtube vids and they both look decently fast. Got any opinions on either? a preference?

Thanks bud
Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 PM

stakeddeck,
be careful with the youtube videos, not saying that the mini rio is not a blast for its size, out of the box the little thing is impressive.

the reason I say this is there are a good number of guys that replace the motor and put a better one, also a better esc and batteries, sometimes you may see one that has been modified on youtube but it wasn't mentioned, next thing you know, you go and buy one and for some reason its not as fast as the Vid.

still, you should have fun.

Dan.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Yea Dan I did think about that. I'm glad you have positive thoughts about the rio. The mini thunder is odd looking.. What do you think about its hull... sorry for killing this subject if you get tired of answering my questions just speak up : )

THanks
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 AM

hello I my self have tried the fishing thing that you seen on you tube and its not all that fun i have lost more boats to fish than what you are iooking into doing . so for the sake of your $$$ just use a fishing pole ok . and just buy a boat to play on the lake where you fish they are a blast to run full throttle and see what they do ok have fun in you endeverus
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Haha ok, I will just try fishing a little ( I will keep the boat tied with fishing line to pull it in if I get a big fish )