Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

PAINTING 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINTING 101

Aa many of you know I am starting to put the hardware in my easy vee. I've been thinking about painting and was hoping to get some background info. I know nothing about it.

can you tell me about...

metal fleck paint (the sparkly stuff) where can I get it? can i put it on myself?

shiny car paint ... can i buy it in the can?if so can I at home depot or hobby lobby or hobby town

do Ineed to prime the boat before I paint? (im painting on wood if you didn't know)

do I need to put some gloss or clear coat on top of whatever I use?

what difference between an airbrush and spray paint? is airbrush worth it?

what are some ways to do designs such as stripes or zig zags on a boat with using spray paint... can this be done free handed easily with an airbrush?

just any helpful info on painting a wooden boat would be greatly aprpeciated.. just wanted to get some background info on it so I can make a educated decision on what paint to buy..

thanks so much!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 AM

Default RE: PAINTING 101

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

can you tell me about...

metal fleck paint (the sparkly stuff) where can I get it? can i put it on myself? You can get a kind of metalflake from car parts stores, just like some car touch up spray cans.. You would be best to put the paint on the boat rather than on you...

shiny car paint ... can i buy it in the can?if so can I at home depot or hobby lobby or hobby town.
Yes, the car parts store should have a variety.. I doubt Home despot carries car type paing, though they do carry a range of spray paints. Most model shops should carry some paints too.. though maybe more limited colors.

do I need to prime the boat before I paint? (im painting on wood if you didn't know)
Yes, at least two coats of primer (over glass?) on wood..

do I need to put some gloss or clear coat on top of whatever I use?
That would be an advantage to keep the finish looking good.

what difference between an airbrush and spray paint? is airbrush worth it?
An Airbrush is worth it... but you will need to spend some $$$'s to get a good one and a compressor. Start with spray (rattle) cans and see how you get on with those..

what are some ways to do designs such as stripes or zig zags on a boat with using spray paint... can this be done free handed easily with an airbrush?
Generally, masking off and spraying areas over the base color. It can be done free hand with an airbrush.. but only by an expert. The rest of us have to mask off areas...

just any helpful info on painting a wooden boat would be greatly aprpeciated.. just wanted to get some background info on it so I can make a educated decision on what paint to buy..
Just make sure the hull (wood) is well sealed prior to painting. I'm assuming you are glassing the hull... Spray in light coats, allow time for the first couple of coats to 'go off' before you add more paint.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Toesupwa! thank you so much for that. The easy vee is only glassed on the inside seam. which reminds me.. should Ipait the inside or do I leave it just epoxy coating? thanks so much for that info.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM

I'll only comment on the question I know.... "Yes, you can buy the correct 2 part car paint in a spray can - if your lucky enough to have an automotive store locally that does it (you wont get it at Home Depot etc). Here in the Twin Cities (pop 1.5 million) I'm only aware of 1 place that offers this stuff - called Welle Automotive {google them on Central Ave in Minneapolis} and they mix 2 part auto paints into a special spray can that keeps the 2 parts seperate until you depress a special plunger on the can and shake well to mix the 2 parts.... once mixed, you have a limited "pot life".

I used their primer, PPG paint, and clear coat - cost was about $75 for all 3 spray cans.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM

oh ok. What kind of store is that? I don't know my auto stores except maybe "autozone"
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Like NAPA that sells Crossfire system... Dupont paint store sells NASON system..PPG paint store sells Omini/paint shop system..
Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM

oh ok. What kind of store is that? I don't know my auto stores except maybe ''autozone''
Welle Automotive is a small independant kind of "Autozone" - same products... trailer hitches to glitzy things for your vehicle, cleaners etc - but they also sell auto paint - both for professional sprayers like MissHydro to these special spray cans I mentioned.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Great! thank you
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM

If you read the posts on my ducted fan build I give step by step instructions on painting a wood boat..ill make a step by step guide just for your boat...airbrushing or spraying paint with a gun will allways give better results than spray cans simply beacuse you have more control over the paint flow but you can achieve fantastic results with spray cans im not knockin them in ANY WAY!!!!
The heavy metal flake look will not be able to come from a spray can you may be able to possibly spray a coat of clear and maybee sprinkle some metal flake on like glitter in a kindergarten project but I doubt it being to look very good.....
You can do graphics with spray cans its done by masking of areas and spraying 1 color letting dry then masking off another area and spraying another color and so on and so on until you have it all layed on then clear coating all of it...you build layer upon layer if that helps see how its done...

I am sending alot of written directions for you with all the stuff im sending ya Ill send some pics and drawings to help explain what you need to do to get that show room shine on that brand new boat...painting realy is easy once you know all the steps...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

oh ok. What kind of store is that? I don't know my auto stores except maybe ''autozone''
Welle Automotive is a small independant kind of ''Autozone'' - same products... trailer hitches to glitzy things for your vehicle, cleaners etc - but they also sell auto paint - both for professional sprayers like MissHydro to these special spray cans I mentioned.
I get my dupi-color spray paints from Advance autoparts... But I top my boats with automotive clears that has hardners/cattlized actavatores that you use a spray gun with..because Nitro&gas will eat these paints without a cattleized/hardner in there paints..
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Hey just an FYI...playing around building a stand I finished it by thinning kosmloski kandy red with lacquer thinner and using it as a stain on wood..it worked great..then I cleared it with minwax polyurethane gloss clear coat when I sprayed the stand I also sprayed a scrap of wood to test to see how fuel proof it may or may not be....iet dry sprayed some 20 percent on it let it sit a minute and wiped it off...no harm done...so ill try it a bit longer and see what happens....but minwax urethane from home depot may be a winner!!!!stick that in yer pipe and smoke it huh???
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: srw1960

Hey just an FYI...playing around building a stand I finished it by thinning kosmloski kandy red with lacquer thinner and using it as a stain on wood..it worked great..then I cleared it with minwax polyurethane gloss clear coat when I sprayed the stand I also sprayed a scrap of wood to test to see how fuel proof it may or may not be....iet dry sprayed some 20 percent on it let it sit a minute and wiped it off...no harm done...so ill try it a bit longer and see what happens....but minwax urethane from home depot may be a winner!!!!stick that in yer pipe and smoke it huh???
I have heard of a guy using minwax polyurethane as a cheap alternative to auto shop clears. But he said he used it just to seal the wood. I might have to pic some up and see how it holds up to 50% nitro. Would be sweet if it would
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 AM

I have a can of heli 50 percent ill slap on it and see what it does but im realy hopefull itll hold up decently sure would be nice to have something fairly inexpensive to use I think I paid like 9 bucks for the can
Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 AM

How long has the sample been cured for. If it holds I will spray my little wild thing. I wonder if it will hold up to the UV rays and not yellow?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM

it says its uv stable it mentioned something on the can about standing up outdoors...the sample I tried was only 24 hours old when I fuel tested it ill try to go test it again today
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 PM

thanks bud just read email
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: misshydro

Welle Automotive is a small independant kind of ''Autozone'' - same products... trailer hitches to glitzy things for your vehicle, cleaners etc - but they also sell auto paint - both for professional sprayers like MissHydro to these special spray cans I mentioned.
I get my dupi-color spray paints from Advance autoparts... But I top my boats with automotive clears that has hardners/cattlized actavatores that you use a spray gun with..because Nitro&gas will eat these paints without a cattleized/hardner in there paints..
Hi MissHydro! Thought you'd chime in!

As you know more about painting than myself, I thought I'd let you know that the "automotive clear" that comes in these special spray cans is known as "2K". Ever worked with it, or know about it?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: srw1960

it says its uv stable it mentioned something on the can about standing up outdoors...the sample I tried was only 24 hours old when I fuel tested it ill try to go test it again today
Cool.Ya if you would throw a few drops of the 50% on it. Thats what I plan on boosting my wildthing up to.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents, Klass Coat paints is a great product. Very forgiving and sprays great with a 1.4 tip on a top feed gun. 5% thinned. Low res pics don't do justice, my first ever paint job.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13566.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1272661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10102.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	1272662  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 PM

OK the news aint good for minwax 30 percent fuel lifted it off within 30 seconds.[:-] im going to test it with some gas mix tomorrow it may be gas safe just not fuel safe...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM

That sucks I sure would like to find something cheaper and less dangerous than the urethanes.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: misshydro

Hi MissHydro! Thought you'd chime in!

As you know more about painting than myself, I thought I'd let you know that the ''automotive clear'' that comes in these special spray cans is known as ''2K''. Ever worked with it, or know about it?
I knew that midwax wouldnt holdup..Thats why I didnt say a word when sombody said stick that in your pipe and smoke it..somebody was smoking to much of the wacky tobacky!lol!!!!!!!!!!!! No I havent worked with 2k spray clears.But worked with 2k primers...Been hearing about those spray clears..Going to have to find out about that stuff..Unclecrash you cant beat those urethanes and epoxy clears..You want to talk about toxic paints try Imorons!! That stuff if you spray without a resporator for 5-10mins your dead!!! Thats whats on semi's and unlimited hydro's and other boats.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 PM

My stick it in your pipe and smoke it coment was not intended nor directed towards anybody..I was implying wouldnt it be funny if after all this time a simple inexpensive product works....after all you never know until you try.... I try very hard not to make asumptions and I felt it was worth testing the minwax stuff sure would have been nice if it was fuel proof...I have been sick today and didnt get a chance to test the gasoline on it..ill try to do that tomorrow....

As far as DuPONT IMRON goes..that was the very first ployurethane paint made..It came out at the height of my auto paint career and I sprayed a TON of it on everything from yes rc boats to industrial trailers and hot rods...Almost impossible to spray without a respirator Miss hydro is right couple minutes and you cant breathe period.
Like I said I sprayed a ton of it and used a respirator but I still have to wonder even after taking the precautions if thats why Im sitting here with 36 tumors in my lungs?

WHATEVER you are spraying boats with USE CAUTION wear a respirator and HEAVY RUBBER GLOVES keep it off your skin no matter what it is your using..

Miss hydro if i offended you with the pipe coment i do apologize it was not my intent!

TCHedoff probably has the best solution and thats the 2k spray can clear coat kinda pricey buttttt if its gotta be fuel proof not to many options if you dont have paint equipment unless you have a friend at a body shop .....

Again ill test it with gasoline oil mix tomorrow and see what happens that would at least help the gas guys
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: srw1960

As far as DuPONT IMRON goes..that was the very first ployurethane paint made..It came out at the height of my auto paint career and I sprayed a TON of it on everything from yes rc boats to industrial trailers and hot rods...Almost impossible to spray without a respirator Miss hydro is right couple minutes and you cant breathe period.
Like I said I sprayed a ton of it and used a respirator but I still have to wonder even after taking the precautions if thats why Im sitting here with 36 tumors in my lungs?

It very well could be why you have the tumors. I was reading a thread on another forum about the dangers of 2 part paints. The ISO's cause cancer and if you were not using oxygen supplied resperator with space suit the the mist will penetrate a charcoal resperator in under an hour. It very well could be the reason I have cancer also from working in body shops and even the drywall mud I used for years says the vapors can cause problems and cancer. Some painters were dropping like flies because they were being miss informed about the dangers of the 2 part paints. Even 2 part enamels arnt good for the lungs. Hey if your testing the gasoline for me no need Im running nitro engines. Its a shame they say right on the products for professional use only but anyone can buy it. I wonder how dangerous the K2 clear is. havn't researched it yet. But I have found a cheap alternative ureathane clear or epoxys that are fairly cheap and they sell them in 1/4 pints propably what ill do. Get new filters and gloves and do my thang.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM

I agree I dont think the safety precautions they gave back then were adequate..and no I never had an oxygen supplied suit to wear much less a full body paper suit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.