Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
aquacraft airforce airboat >

aquacraft airforce airboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

aquacraft airforce airboat

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aquacraft airforce airboat

Hello !

I have a aquacraft airforce air boat and I truly enjoy it.

I am also currently building the wild thing (plans at RCBM)

I also play around with a few electric boats, nothing fancy though.

anyone else own a aquacraft airforce ?

what ya think and have you made any mods ? if so what were they ? I was thnking about adding a bigger enging and a MAC's pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96113_33098.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	55085  
Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM

Yes most definately, i just bought the Air Force a couple weeks ago after going through several other models and becomming way to frustrated with them.. this boat is awesome, i have began adjusting the Prop pitch sizes to determine a better and zippy'er craft, i will be posting pics and mods later this week. currently i was wondering myself about putting maybe a 61 - 75 sized motor on this boat, but im worried about the angle the moter mount is on may throw off the torque increase from a larger motor. please let me know if you try this... more to come

Also im looking for any PLANS or Airboat tunnel hull kits that you may know of...

thanks
WeaselPhD
:drowning:
:idea:

Name:	96115_42318.gif
Views:	24
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	55086  
Old 07-24-2003, 06:27 PM

RCBM has some airboat plans in the plans section. www.rcstore.com does also.

I run in a swallow pond and I am very happy with the aquacraft.

I had a few problems with getting the steering where I wanted it. I am right buy a road and cars pass buy in the back ground of my running my boat and from what I can tell. I am running around 30-35 mph. Maybe faster than that but wthout a gps to check to speed. I know I am faster then most of the vehicles on that road traveling the speed limit. 30-35

I watched someone with a miss budweiser and i thought props and pull start just looks like a pain to me. I just hit the button on my starter and it's up and running.

I would like to add a 6 or 8 oz tank for longer run times, but I also worry about getting to hot on the longer runs.

I have had to adjust the mounting bolts a couple of times, they seem to loosen up every 4-6 runs.

sporty
Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 AM

Great, i will check that out.... i will also let you know because i have a GPS, and i will run it next time.. i live in Michigan right on Lake Erie, and i run it there almost 4 times a week or so... my best friend lives near a small pond like you stated and the only thing i find troubling is that the rudder gets clogged with weeds, etc. causing turning issues.. but nonetheless, to speak from experience, i bought the miss budwieser boat, after 4 days of BS trying to get it running right and more importantly stay running i gave up and sold it on ebay and bought this airboat...

I agree on the larger fuel tank, that is a small tank for that size engine, im into planes big time and all my 46 size planes have 6 & 8 oz tanks...i just wonder if they will fit under the cowl...

well ill keep you posted i will run times this weekend with all 3 prop sizes i have currently im testing the 11x6, 11x7 & the stock 11x8...

TTYL
Happy Boating
WeaseLPhD :drowning:
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2003, 02:23 PM

I know someone got a round 8oz tank and took the cowling off and ran it where to stock tank went. they had to modify it a little and they also had to be carefull not to break the plastic tube that runs through the wooden base for the throttle.

I was thinking of trying a 6 oz. I was wondering how much more the center of gravity will be thrown off with a 8oz up that high. especially if I am going faster into my turns. Will it tip over easier ?

I also know they tried a 10x8 or it was a 10x6 prop.

I got a couple props but I have not messed with it yet. Since you got the gps .
Maybe you can get the numbers on some of the different props.

sporty
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 PM

Most definately, i will have those speeds early next week for posting... actually the center of gravity is easy to fix though, all you need to do is buy some lead weights at your local hobby shop (used for airplane wings) and add them to the nose of the boat to counter the weight. i was worried too adding a larger moter maybe a .65 would twist the mount off the boat, anyone you know upgraded motors?

thanks
TTYL
WeaseLPhD
:thumbup:
Old 07-25-2003, 05:40 PM

NOPE I DO NOT KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS YET. BUT I THINK IT WILL BE OKAY. WHEN I GET MY ENGINE, (MONEY) I WILL INSTALL IT AND SEE HOW IT DOES AND AFTER 1 RUN CHECK EVERYTHING OUT.

I THOUGHT MAYBE USING SOME EXPOXY ON THE MOUNTS THAT CONNECT TO THE BOAT. i MAY ALSO THINK ABOUT GETTING SOME METAL AND ANGLING IT LIKE THE PLASTIC ONES TO PREVENT TWIST.

IF INDEED IT TURNS OUT THE PLASTIC ONES DO TWIST.

IT WILL BE A FEW WEEKS UNITL I GET A 61 ENGINE THOUGH.

SPORTY
Old 07-27-2003, 08:36 PM

wild weekend,

It was a little windy and I got some air !

My boat flipped up in the air about 3 feet and landed upside down. I got out the electric boat and go it back to shore.

I quickly opened up the hatch and I was lucky the servos were dry and worked fine. It did take me awhile to get all the water out of the engine and get it going again.

sporty
Old 07-28-2003, 05:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Glad to hear you guys like the AquaCraft! I have a gas boat right now, but want to fool around with nitro again. I thought the AquaCraft would be fun. My local hobbie shop has a few for sale, and one of them is the hull only kit. For $99.00 it includes the hull and hardware, just have to add the engine and radio. I fugured it would be perfect since I have way too many radios, and want to get a better engine. I was thinking of the OS .46 FX, but it sounds like I should look into something bigger! Sporty I wish you had the bigger engine so you could let us know how it worked!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:57 AM

me too !

maybe when I get that income tax rebate I can pick one up.

just keep your'e eye out on e-bay, I seen some aquacraft RTR, for around that. search under aquacraft and ariboat.

There is not any right now as of today, however they have been popping up every couple of weeks.

sporty
Old 07-29-2003, 12:36 AM

I check out E-bay out alot, so I will have to keep an eye out for one. I wouldn't mind saving some cash. I don't mind spending the extra cash though if it means getting a better engine. I figure I can use the engine for a plane in the future!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:33 AM

my yellow one, I got for $130, new never ran. Heck of a deal, RTR.

$229 new from tower, not including tax and shipping.

the shell for $99, I seen them typcially for $129.

I figure sell the .46, keep the radio and servo's. if could find a deal at the $130.

sell the .46 for $50. Get a bigger and better engine for $125

130 - 50 = $80 + $125 = $205

sorry it's how I look at stuff sometimes.

sporty

either way out ripping it up on the H20!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:54 PM

Nothing wrong with that plan! I will definatly keep an eye out for one at that price. What I really like about the Auquacraft is the water rudder. I have seen ones with out and they don't turn very well. I will let you know when I get one and what engine I go with.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:14 AM

cool,

Ya I like the rudder too, I order a extra one for $8.95. Incase I break mine.

In turns pretty good, It took me a few times to get the settings just right. I have where it would either not turn enough right or I would get just the same thing only the left side.

sporty
Old 07-31-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by sporty982000
RCBM has some airboat plans in the plans section. www.rcstore.com does also.

I would like to add a 6 or 8 oz tank for longer run times, but I also worry about getting to hot on the longer runs.

I put a 6oz Prather CLEAR seamless tank on mine and it works great.

I like it for the longer run times and the clear tank makes seeing fuel levels 50 times easier.

I have not noticed any adverse handling, but then I don't turn real hard with mine. I do let it power slide occasionaly but I never crank on it. I have a lot of the steering dialed out.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:10 AM

Has anyone had any problems with the stock engine? I just got mine and its real hard to turn over by hand. It seems to stick at the top of the stroke. Mine came with the glo plug uninstalled and a couple of extra copper gaskets. I couldn't find any mention of them so I thought maybe they forgot to install the gasket so I took off the head and looked. It was there. (So I guess they just included a couple of extra gaskets.) I turned the prop and at the top of the stroke it pushed the sleeve 3/16"up as the piston came to the top. Is it suppose to be that tight? With the head back on the the piston pushes through the sleeve but boy is it sticky and 'notchy'. I don't know much about engines is this normal? Also I saw nothing that keeps the sleeve in any particular alignment. I pulled it straight up and its holes seemed slightly out of alignment with the case holes. This is all pretty confusing to me.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:50 AM

Yes the pistion should fit very tight. What you are "feeling" is normal with a new engine. Some of it will go away after you break in the engine. You should run it rich for the first few tanks. I'm sure the instructions will tell you how to break in the engine.

As for the liner comming out, that is normal. Just make sure you put in in the same way. Turn it so that the holes line up evenly and replace the head. The head will keep the liner from moving. Make sure to tighten the screws evenly and don't over tighten.

If you have problems turning the engine over when starting it, you can loosen the glow plug alittle untill it starts. After it starts have your wrench handy and tighten it up. It will be easier to start after it's warm and broken in.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, and make sure to read over your engines instructions a few times so you are familar with it.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:56 AM

I have two aquacraft airboats and that is typical. it is very tight before break in, just keep it rich and let it idle for a tank and then start varying the throttle for the next 2-3 tanks before opening the throttle all the way.

my first one I used the flip stick, what a pain ! but I could do it, it just took alot longer to start and can be very frustrating at times. I got a electric starter now and I love it.

sporty
Old 08-03-2003, 11:21 PM

I have a question all aquacraft owners.

I have two of them and I am hoping to gather some info. the idle needle , when you open your throttle all the way and you look in the carb. how much of a gap is their on your's ?

the book says 2mm, but my red one has no gap at all. I am in the process of breaking it in. I may have to turn it out.

I grapped my yellow one and i had set that at 2mm gap when throttle fully opened when I got it. I then today closed it to what my red one was and it would not run. So I took it back to where I had it before.

Hoping to see what everyone else has there's at ? I took a small screw driver and eye balled the bap to the screw driver and then put it next to a ruler with mm markings.

I am thinking I will have to set the red one, but was surpised it is even running. just idling it now for engine break in.

hope to here back soon.

sporty
Old 08-03-2003, 11:38 PM

I took the head of my engine and the sleeve was slightly out of alignment. I decided to break it in on an engine test stand. Figured I'd save the boat a little vibration. Turns out the throttle cable was not glued in the hole through the tank mount so the throttle was not secured so glad I did that. I don't know why I was surprised by the engine started first flip. I turned it out the required 3 turns and away she went. However I found it odd that I could turn it out 10 turns and it didn't flood it. I ran a couple of tanks through it and leaned it out a bit and now its back on the boat. I was going to take her out today but the wind has kicked up. Had a question about the motor mount. Why does it have slots in the mounting brackets and where how are you mounting it? I pressed them in on both sides to give it the highest clearance and too make sure they were both mounted the same. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-04-2003, 02:13 AM

slots - ?

the slots at the base (blakc plastic) the slots are to adjust the the angle of the engine, the proper ankle is talked about in the manual. alos bigger engines or smaller engines may cause the mounting brackets to be a little smaller or wider.

I just broke/breaking mine in with it mounted.

also, the cable, will I have broke it where it connects to the wood, from running it and accidently hitting it.

best advise pick up some spare golden rod, thats what that is. It seems to get hard and fragile from the nitro fuel getting on it. I have broken 2 of them since I have been running the aquacraft. not to bad to take out.

any chance you can check the gap in the carb (needle ) for me ? air mixture screw (brass)

I have to take my cowling off again and tightin the bolts, getting loose again from running it. they seem to work loose after a couple of runs from the torq.

sporty
Old 08-04-2003, 03:24 AM

air mixture gap inside of carb, is all of yours 2mm ? on the aquacraft. Just look inside of the carb and see the brass mixture screw. it opens and closes when you turn you're throttle open or closed.

wanting to know what you have yours set at ?

I checked mine buy buy opening my throttle all the way and inserting a small flat head screw driver and used it to mark the gap buy eye ball and then used a mm ruler to see what I had, I then set mine at 2mm.

However my new (red) aquacraft I got is not set at all and runs just fine and I find this odd somewhat. Sine I went back to my yellow aquacraft and turned it in to match the settings of the red aquacraft and it would not run at all. So I am trying to understand why the differance. I am thinking maybe due to break in that I will have to adjust this, however I am wondering what the air mixture gap is on others who has a aquacraft to find a common setting or to see if one of the two aquacrafts I have is wrong.

I have not turned my red aquacraft to the 2mm, since in the book it says factory set, and my yellow one I accidently messed with when adjusting the throttle. So I set it at 2mm. So I do not know what setting it came with.

I would not think it came with no gap in it, but then again the red one does not have a gap and runs, but I also wonder if I have to set it to the 2mm. Since I am in break-n, I am only idling and going to 1/4 throttle and have gone to 1/2 only briefly.

May be nothing, but one of the two is not set right. Since the manual says preset at 2mm, then either my yellow one is wrong or the red one is. which one is right ? or neither ?

sporty
Old 08-04-2003, 04:06 AM

Does the engine have a low and high speed needle ? If so are you refering to the low speed needle?

Guess I have never heard of setting it with a ruler. Might be a nice starting point, but I would think that it would have to be changed with the type of fuel used, out side temp, humidity, etc.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 AM

I am posting a picture below of the carb open all the way looking in. It's not the greatest picture but you can see the air mixture/fuel needle.

sporty

Name:	98951_33098.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	55088  
Old 08-04-2003, 10:47 AM

i will post one of mine, but that gap is definately to much, at least i think so the manual does state to open it that far while trying to start your engine for the first time, but it said to adjust it in accordingly once started....

Sorry about not haveing the speeds yet, the weather here has not cooperated lately... today is suppose to be nice though...

WeaseL PhD
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.