Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Need help building a boat >

Need help building a boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need help building a boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help building a boat

Hi, im new at this r/c boating hobby and my major question is what tools would you need to start making a fiberglass boat from scratch. To be honest i know only very little and that i of course need plans but im talking is there any special tools or tricks i would need to know before i take part in this little project!! Thanx for your help! Bye..
Old 07-25-2003, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a glass boat

Do yourself a huge favor and save the fiberglass scratch building project for a bit later after you gain some knowledge on what makes a boat run well and what does not.
The first and biggest thing you need is a lot of experience. A good background in hull design and hydrodynamics would not hurt either.
I would seriously suggest you start with a kit boat for your first splash in the water. It can be a wood boat, plastic, or even fiberglass. This will give you the basics to build your own hull later on.
To fiberglass up a new hull is a lot of work. There is more to it than simply slapping some cloth and resin on a mold.

Peter

Visit www.climatemodels.com