Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

metal transmission gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal transmission gears?

Picked upthe T-maxx 3.3 a couple of weeks ago, ran about 15 tanks through it, and the transmission went out. any suggestions? Is this at all normal? I wasn't overly rough with the truck at all. Would metal gears be a good idea for avoiding this problem in the future?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Default RE: metal transmission gears?

The answer to that is really all up to you. Ive had them go out in other model's trannys and replaced with plastic, itll happen often enough and then I just justified going all-metal. problem with that is, if you dont make 100% sure everything is set and meshed right, the repairs will be more costly, so proper maitenance and care are a MUST!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get used to it. Happens often on my maxx as well. You could try loosening up the spur gear nut some so it will "slip" a little more, causing less shock to the internals. Less aggressive starts is another way (and obviously don't change directions when the truck's moving). Last time I dismantled the tranny, I gave it a couple of spurts inside of white lithium grease (which is s'posed to be harmless to plastic) and am hoping that helps too. Graphite and silicone are other possible alternative lubes, I'm thinking.

Metal gears are an option, but they're pricey and you will have to keep them well lubed due to the heat buildup when running for long periods.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Very useful information. thanks for the help guys!