Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 You guys ever do a pay it forward thread? >

You guys ever do a pay it forward thread?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

You guys ever do a pay it forward thread?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys ever do a pay it forward thread?

I'll start and show you how it works....

Just getting back into this and obsession has kicked in hard. 3 months back to the hobby and I own a basher brushless slash, an all aluminum shelf queen slash, a 1/24 Losi SCT, a 1/16 Revo brushless and I have a brushed emaxx on the way, but then I thought "Why the hell did I buy brushed?" So I ordered up the CCMM to drop in. So....

When it gets here I am pulling the twin titans and esc. They might see a couple runs. If someone needs them what youcan do is offer up another part for the taking (value is irrelevant) and tell me in 10 words or less what you will do with the titans. And you get em, just like that. I even pay the shipping to you. That is pay it forward. So two questions, who wants em? And who's next?

And really, if you have nothing to give but could make use of the titans and are strapped for cash, they are yours anyway. So this thread could be just me giving away a couple parts, but it would be very cool to see it develop into some positive karma for everyone. I know you junkies have all sorts of stuff gathering dust someone else could put to good use.

Now, first guy that gets caught selling something he got for freeon Ebay, well I would not want to be that guy...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Default RE: You guys ever do a pay it forward thread?

Sell the motors for like 5. Then esc for 30. You make a little this way.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Well sure, but that's not the point here. I would rather pay it forward. But thanks for trying to mess up my thread.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Your welcome!
Really it is useless in anything but a 16.8v car because the titans are slow on 8.4. Would be a little hard to find someone with a use for it with brushless too but good luck
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM

OK I'll play,

I have some used socks, only a few holes and stains
free to a good home
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If your giving them away my buddy just blew the esc on his truck and this could get him running again.  I don't think he has anything to trade but i've got some old tires for my e-maxx that I could trade you.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM

He can have it as soon as it comes out. I don't want to trade. I want to give it away.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this has been done here before and it will not work, The idea is great but it wont work.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM

So is nobody picking up what Iam putting down here? Or is the average age this evening 14?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes, Iam beginning to see that. Shame, I have seen it work on a bunch of other forums through the years. Iget thefeeling thatthere is not enough sense of community here. Last poston this threadfor me.
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

this has been done here before and it will not work, The idea is great but it wont work.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Soulswimmer

So is nobody picking up what Iam putting down here? Or is the average age this evening 14?
you nailed it. we have done this with sucess on "brand" specific forums like rc10talk and tamiya club, but rcu is a different animal.

you could put a post up titled "free rc10" and people will chime in with "thats an old peice of junk".

Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would probably try to use one of the Titans as a starter motor, since I don't run electrics. The other one would likely end up being used as a sort of "-beep-, it stalled quite a ways away, oh hey I can limp it back and refire it!" system. Basically a Return-To-Shore but for cars.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM

I've been gifted things here and there, without asking. One of the biggest things, when I first started, a guy at the track gave me a lightly used pair of rear 1/10 buggy tires with about 60% tread left on them. It was a huge help as my current tires weren't right for the track.

I'm not hurting for money, but I do have a budget. Most of my stuff that's nice enough to sell, helps fund the new stuff I buy. I've paid it forward every once in a while with smaller items, rarely online though. I've never seen a thread like this on RCU.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

In my opinion the best way you can pay it foward is to help someone at the track.....
If you see a guy struggling go over and help him out, give him some advise I'm not saying
give him your set up just point him in the right direction.
I have seen it to many times people get in there own little clicks, and don't think about
the hobby.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: schuttman

In my opinion the best way you can pay it foward is to help someone at the track.....
If you see a guy struggling go over and help him out, give him some advise I'm not saying
I have seen it to many times people get in there own little clicks, and don't think about
the hobby.
x2. You'll find someone sincerely in need at your local track. Not fair to say there's no sense of community here, it's more like everyone knows that it's a great idea that won't work. One bad egg ends the great idea.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

And there are MANY bad eggs wandering these forums.

I agree, take your charity to the track, keep that stuff in your toolbox in case someone at the track needs it for stock class or something. I have a CC setup in my 4X4 and the MMP/Velineon 3500 in my fiancees blitz yet we still have two esc's and 3 brushed motors just for someone in need. I was greener than hell when I first started at the track and now that i am well on my feet with it I LOVE helping the other racers. For example, this guy brought his fresh out of the box Slash 4X4 this past saturday and pitted his things next to me and my monster. I ended up throwing my whole setup on his truck (except electronics lol) right down to better tires, shock oil, diff fluids etc and explaining to him what each adjustment and change does. He sucked still, just not as bad as the practice laps he took and ya know what? He says he will be back every weekend to race and will pay it forward on his own when he gets set up good enough. THAT is how it is done.

ORIGINAL: snapper21

ORIGINAL: schuttman

the hobby.
x2. You'll find someone sincerely in need at your local track. Not fair to say there's no sense of community here, it's more like everyone knows that it's a great idea that won't work. One bad egg ends the great idea.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Last time I saw a thread like this someone gave a kid a VERY nice truck and he was caught trying to trade it 2 weeks later.. It just doesnt work well on this site. Good luck though!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Soulswimmer, this is a great idea. I was involved in a donation thread on another site and it worked well for a while. People would come on, post what they have to give away (the person getting it pays the shipping only). People would also state if they needed anything but the two issues were completely separate. It slowly turned into a trading forum and a begging forum. Everyone stopped actually donating. That said.

I could use the esc and 2 titans you describe for my clodbuster.

I have about 4 27mhz transmitters (only the tx not rx). I have 1 75mhz am transmitter with 3 rx and a few random crystals (2 sets and a bunch of others). I also have a Novak XRS esc I would donate out.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM

They're yours! Figure two weeks until they are in your hands as my Maxx is not ariving until tomorrow and the brushless set up a couple days later. PMme your address and Iwill get them out to you.
ORIGINAL: Scottgir

Soulswimmer, this is a great idea. I was involved in a donation thread on another site and it worked well for a while. People would come on, post what they have to give away (the person getting it pays the shipping only). People would also state if they needed anything but the two issues were completely separate. It slowly turned into a trading forum and a begging forum. Everyone stopped actually donating. That said.

I could use the esc and 2 titans you describe for my clodbuster.

I have about 4 27mhz transmitters (only the tx not rx). I have 1 75mhz am transmitter with 3 rx and a few random crystals (2 sets and a bunch of others). I also have a Novak XRS esc I would donate out.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Threads such as a "Pay it forward" thread must be approved by the RCUAdministration before they are can run. I'm closing this thread down.

Thread locked

Ken