Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 foulin frying????? Plugs!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!! >

foulin frying????? Plugs!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

foulin frying????? Plugs!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foulin frying????? Plugs!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

I don't know what the hect is going on.3.3 TRX 33% fuel,medium plugs.I leaned it till it was boging after shifting,then richened it,running great.Then loosing power stalling,starting back up three times,then turn and turn,nothing.New plug,starts right up,3,well 2- maybe 2 and 1/2 tanks.Shot.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RE: foulin frying????? Plugs!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

I don't know what the hect is going on.3.3 TRX 33% fuel, medium plugs.I leaned it till it was boging after shifting,then richened it,running great.Then loosing power stalling,starting back up three times,then turn and turn,nothing.New plug,starts right up,3,well 2- maybe 2 and 1/2 tanks.Shot.
Well, first off your mixture is too lean. Plugs burn up quick when the mixture is consistently too lean. Secondly, you're using junk fuel. Traxxas is a last-resort fuel. Use Byrons, Blue Thunder, or Trinity Monster HP. They are far better fuels. Lastly, you don't need 33% nitro. Unless you're racing and even then 20-25% nitro is all you need. I've tried the Traxxas 33% in a 2.5, 3.3, and a Mach big block and all had the same symptoms - Overheating, black pistons, and erratic tuning. Switching to Blue Thunder (using the same identical tune to the traxxas fuel) and had a 100% turnaround with how the engine behaved. Better starting, idling, and needling the engine was much easier.

If you absolutely must run 30%+ nitro, you should add an extra shim under the head. IMO, Traxxas engines aren't shimmed properly to run anything over 25% nitro.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

I don't know what the hect is going on.3.3 TRX 33% fuel, medium plugs.I leaned it till it was boging after shifting,then richened it,running great.Then loosing power stalling,starting back up three times,then turn and turn,nothing.New plug,starts right up,3,well 2- maybe 2 and 1/2 tanks.Shot.
Well, first off your mixture is too lean. Plugs burn up quick when the mixture is consistently too lean. Secondly, you're using junk fuel. Traxxas is a last-resort fuel. Use Byrons, Blue Thunder, or Trinity Monster HP. They are far better fuels. Lastly, you don't need 33% nitro. Unless you're racing and even then 20-25% nitro is all you need. I've tried the Traxxas 33% in a 2.5, 3.3, and a Mach big block and all had the same symptoms - Overheating, black pistons, and erratic tuning. Switching to Blue Thunder (using the same identical tune to the traxxas fuel) and had a 100% turnaround with how the engine behaved. Better starting, idling, and needling the engine was much easier.

If you absolutely must run 30%+ nitro, you should add an extra shim under the head. IMO, Traxxas engines aren't shimmed properly to run anything over 25% nitro.

I agree with everything he said except for the Blue Thunder part. I dislike that fuel and have never had good luck with it. I far-and-away prefer O'Donnell's fuel.
And, for whatever it's worth, leaning till bogging then richening is a sure way to kill an engine, not just a glow plug!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Ok then.That's the last of it any way,besides maybe 1/2 a tank worth.Now,i bought a quart of Odonell 40% and a cold plug to go with it. just using the 33% up,now i'll be using that.So how do ya's think that'll run? Good/better i hope.Also your thoughts on it with a cold plug? Or should i stick with the medium,the plugs are also Odonell.I bought all this stuff a few months ago so i'd be all ready.I stored it in my closet where it's cool and dry.As far as the traxxxas fuel goes,like i wrote that's pretty much gone now.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Why are you wasting your money on 40% you only need 20%. Cold plugs are usually for big block engines. I would use a medium plug on that engine. Have you ever checked the engine temps while it is running. I use to burn out glow plugs when I ran the engine to lean and to hot. I bought a temp gauge and my glow plugs now last alot longer with it. You will make your money back on the cost of the temp guage by the savings on not having to buy so many glow plugs. I have used blue thunder and had no problems with it I have also used Odonell fuel and liked it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Yeah,i don't know.You're right i need to get a temp gauge,for real i have no idea what it's running temp wise.I'm gonna have one soon.It can't be running to hot though,cause it's still cold out where i'm at.You can run it and touch the head,maybe not wrap your hand around it but it's not even 40 degrees out.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM

With the above mentioned fuel I would do cold plugs for the solution.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

With the above mentioned fuel I would do cold plugs for the solution.
Well, whoever is telling the OP to buy even higher nitro it stupid. That engine will not tolerate 40% fuel with just a cold plug change. it needs to have extra shims added!!!!!! If you need that much more power, buy a nova or picco. They are better performing engines and require much less nitro to get the power.

You will burn that engine up the way you're running it. Medium or hot plug, 20% nitro, and tuning skills is all you need.